Is there...ANYONE who likes this game?

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I'm betting the price was jacked up because retailers assumed this game would be on par with previous games in the series, in which case I think I would have been fine paying $40.

Mattroid
Lann Fisherman

Post by Mattroid »

Agreed. Had the game been anywhere even close to being as good as the originals, I would have paid more than $40 and not looked back.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

It's a lot easier if you use a bunch of work-arounds to make it seem less like an old school NES RPG. For example, killing Hellbirds to get their card which allows you to fully restore the party's MP each time it's used. This means that in the beginning Lucia can heal everyone more than just once or twice without having to either regain the 30% when the enemies get killed, or visit a statue. Another good one is taking the good equipment that you find in dungeons (you know, the stuff you just bought in town...), and selling it to get $$ instead of the Gad's Express jobs.

...yeah it needs a little something extra. Like a flying cat/dragon during battle, or the Lunar battle system. Eh, there's nothing to say that hasn't been said too many times already somewhere else in the thread. Love it or not, it is what it is. Either play it or don't. While it's no where near any of the others (Lunar Legend included), it's okay.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I definitely agree... It is a decent RPG in its own right, barring the few irritations (I still never got over the lack of selection of enemies in battle). I'd actually go so far to say that while I believe it's worth the MSRP of $30 or less, it's not worth as much as $40 as some places charge. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Elie
Student of Vane

Post by Elie »

I feel guilty because I never did get past the first dungeon in the game, and I got it back in November. But, while the character designs were nice and the world seemed Lunar-ish enough, the gameplay was just too tedious for me (and I've played more than my share of tedious games to put up with this for long).

While I hear the losing HP while running bit gets a bit better later on, hearing about the armor breaking and the inconvenient way of earning money just put me off from playing the game further. I might still try to play it again at some point, just to see for myself and make my own judgment.

Mattroid
Lann Fisherman

Post by Mattroid »

Exactly all my same reasons for feeling the way I do.

And I do plan on getting back to it, but I had other games I needed to get to before it anyway.

I do plan on finishing it up, though. Perhaps this summer.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I know how you two are feeling (and countless others of course), and I put playing the game off until I was finished with my Spring semester of college. I'm playing the game now and having to deal with armor breaking and items being stolen really pisses me off. I had gotten Dragon Gloves out of a blue chest for Jian and not long after I had equipped them they ended up breaking in battle. I was like "omfg!" The worst part of this game is it's seemingly purposeful way it wants to frustrate the player.

I've only found two nostalgic music pieces, and they happen in the dragon caves. Why oh why did the composer choose to use the horrible dragon cave music from Eternal Blue (which ended up in both of the SSS and EB remakes) and remix it? The other remixed music is when you meet the dragons. It's not exact but you can hear the original in there somewhere.

As much as this game sucks, I still find myself playing it for four hours straight, until the battery dies in the DS. I suppose if I plugged the system into the charger while playing it would stay alive? Yes/No?

Hirohiigo Togashi
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Hirohiigo Togashi »

I'd kick myself very hard if I had bought this game, but I got it for free from a friend, so it's not that big of a loss. I'm trying as hard as I can to work up the patience and get through the first dungeon, though. The gameplay is so frustrating even at the beginning. Having to choose between the experience and item modes for battles is really, really irritating me. I recently found my copies of TSS and EB, and they're a huge relief from playing DS. >_>

Erasculio
Reza Thief

IMHO, it's a realy bad game

Post by Erasculio »

Silver Phoenix wrote:The worst part of this game is it's seemingly purposeful way it wants to frustrate the player

That's what amazes me. So many "new" features look like they have been made with the specific intention of frustrating the player. I cannot believe anyone played through these features and considered them fun. I have tried to play the game again, but I just can't - it's more a long nuisance than a game, to me.

Erasculio

Eel_Nadroj
NPC

Post by Eel_Nadroj »

My first post here!!! Well it was an ok game for an RPG and Lunar game. When I bought this in New york I could have sworn the guy payed me not to even buy this game. But when I played it, it was pretty good but like I said it's not the game in the series.
Eel Nadroj is tasty like Unagi

Platinumdragon
Meribian Merchant

Post by Platinumdragon »

I liked the game, but I also felt they tried too many things in the game. Unfortunately I felt a lot of the stuff they did try missed.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Platinumdragon wrote:I liked the game, but I also felt they tried too many things in the game. Unfortunately I felt a lot of the stuff they did try missed.
Worst of which was the no-choice battle system, of course. But most ridiculous of which was the "blowing into the mic to run" idea.

If the game had just been play-tested, a lot of these problems could've been avoided. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Platinumdragon
Meribian Merchant

Post by Platinumdragon »

Kizyr wrote:
Platinumdragon wrote:I liked the game, but I also felt they tried too many things in the game. Unfortunately I felt a lot of the stuff they did try missed.
Worst of which was the no-choice battle system, of course. But most ridiculous of which was the "blowing into the mic to run" idea.

If the game had just been play-tested, a lot of these problems could've been avoided. KF
I will agree with the blowing into the mic idea was very bad, but about the no choice system I would been really ok with if they put in any decent AI in it, but since AI isn't that well done they probably should of just let us choice what monster to attack.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

The blowing into the mic is definately odd, but it's not the worst feature by far. I remember when I tried it out for the first time, I was almost expecting to see an animation of the enemies being blown away by a gust of wind, which would have been sorta nifty.

But yeah, the lack of selection of enemies in battle is the single worst game mechanic I've seen in an RPG. What on earth could have possessed GameArts to think this was a good idea?

Platinumdragon
Meribian Merchant

Post by Platinumdragon »

Well if they had put any decent ai or allow to customize how the ai worked when your character attack, it would of been at least ok, but it looks like they never really worked on that part of the game much.