I can't accept this as part of the series.

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by DevNall »

It's probably inevitable; everybody here likes Lunar and have high expectations for anything in the series. I'm sure every tidbit we get prior to the release will be nitpicked.

I'll wait to play it before passing judgement.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I'm still wondering why everyone doesn't just wait for the storyline before passing judgment. That's what gave the original games their charm. That's what'll make this game part of the Lunar series. 2D, 3D, or 2.5D won't matter so long as the story still makes the game feel like part of the series. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Etherest
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Etherest »

And that's from the Keeper of Knowledge himself.
Okay, Hacker, listen up. I am tired of your fake assumptions! What is your problem?! Do you just like to mess with 14 year olds, who KNOW they don't lie to people at a site they consider HOME?!! PM ME NOW!

NP_Steve
NPC

Post by NP_Steve »

The developer is not Marvelous. That's all I can say. More will be revealed in the next issue of Nintendo Power. :wink:

-Steve Thomason

PS-Hi GhaleonOne! Long time, no see.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

What's up man? How is it that someone named SegaBoy ends up at Nintendo anyways? :P Heh, just kidding. It has been a long time though.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Isn't it interesting that Nintendo Power has the exclusive when the first installments came out at a time when people were so console-partisan that they took screennames like "Segaboy"? I wonder how many of NP's current readership have played the originals.

Steve, I enjoyed meeting you last year after the concert, but overall it's probably a good thing I didn't run into you this year.

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

Kizyr wrote:I'm still wondering why everyone doesn't just wait for the storyline before passing judgment. That's what gave the original games their charm. That's what'll make this game part of the Lunar series. 2D, 3D, or 2.5D won't matter so long as the story still makes the game feel like part of the series. KF

I think the look of the games and the music also played a great deal in the charm of Lunar. Since the look of the game has changed people assume the worst.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

NP_Steve wrote:The developer is not Marvelous. That's all I can say. More will be revealed in the next issue of Nintendo Power. :wink:

I haven't subscribed to NP in a long time; anybody know when this next issue should be available in stores and/or what the issue number will be?

Or hopefully G1 or others will post when it's available...

DragonmasterDan wrote:I think the look of the games and the music also played a great deal in the charm of Lunar. Since the look of the game has changed people assume the worst.

I definately agree about the music, but we haven't heard anything yet (heh). Lunar to me always felt like an anime, if they preserve that feel I'm happy. I probably would've been okay with cell-shaded Lunar, albeit it seemed a bit overused lately...

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

Hubbs, I know you've agreed to sorta give up in this, but I thought I'd comment anyway. The news sources like IGN and GameSpot certainly do feed off each other. And actually, in many cases, they feed off of each other because they are part of the same parent corporation and may actually be using the exact same database. For an example, check out IGN's and GameSpot's corporate/about us type sections and you'll see that each site has a good 5-10 child sites. In addition, IGN is a good enough source for GameSpot and GameSpot is a good enough source for IGN. So that makes the speculation of only a single person can cause 12-22 major sites to have the same speculation as official information.

Just tossing that in there. I'm also part of "teh industry" and I can tell you it is very easy to have false information and in almost all cases it is not intentional. However, in some cases it actually is intentional. As a journalist yourself, you must have come across embargoed information by now. Companies love to tell press things that press can't tell anybody else. It's really quite annoying. I know about several games (nothing too huge sadly) that I can't talk about. I only wish I was "in" on Lunar for DS as Lunar is one of my favorite game series.
-Rich-

keele864
Red Dragon Priest

Post by keele864 »

Gamespy and IGN merged recently, so they would presumably use the same database, though their sites remain separate.

I haven't subscribed to NP in a long time; anybody know when this next issue should be available in stores and/or what the issue number will be?

My subscription ran out earlier this year. I must say that NP has improved a lot though. The "old" NP would never have even mentioned the existence of a game like Killer 7. I'll probably resubscribe if there's another incentive along the lines of the Zelda disc.

Isn't it interesting that Nintendo Power has the exclusive when the first installments came out at a time when people were so console-partisan that they took screennames like "Segaboy"? I wonder how many of NP's current readership have played the originals.

I'm sure you can still find some very console-partisan folks: http://www.gamefaqs.com.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

:roll: Yes, I know; I'm not blind. But I do believe it was more universal then.

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

I was a terrible Sega fangirl when I was a kid (the old SMS vs. NES days). But, I've grown up since. ^_^ Back then it was more like a justification of a purchase. When you're ten, your family will only give you one system, so you've got to convince yourself and everybody else that you got the better one.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Quark79
Burg Farmer

Post by Quark79 »

I emailed Ubi-Soft the other day asking if they could confirm the developer, and this was their response:

As far as I can tell, Game Arts will be developing this title as well. The Game
Arts website is only in Japenese, but all information found says Game Arts will
be developing the Lunar series. Beyond that, I have no information.

Not exactly a confirmation, but it definitely looks like Game Arts is making this one. :)

Unfortunately, I never owned any Sega consoles when I was little, but I still got to play those games using... *cough*other*cough* means.

lyn
Burg Farmer

Post by lyn »

i don't really want the lunar for DS first of all i don't want a DS and it dosen't look as good as Lunar 1 and 2 thats my opinion.
im a swordsmen and im in karate. really!

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Quark79 wrote:Unfortunately, I never owned any Sega consoles when I was little, but I still got to play those games using... *cough*other*cough* means.

Extortion?! :shock:

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Presumably he either borrowed or bought the SegaCD games and then played them via emulator. Because if he didn't play using original media, he wouldn't be mentioning it here, of course.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Yeah, yeah, I know. That was just a feeble attempt at humor. Go ahead and kick me while I'm down. :P

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

You miss the point -- I'm (trying to) indirectly kick Quark79. ;)

Quark79
Burg Farmer

Post by Quark79 »

Yeah, I beat up little kids to get their lunch money, then-

*gets indirectly kicked again*

OW! :shock: Those things hurt!
"I see we're breaking new ground in maturity today" - Ronnie, Joe the Circle

HuBBsDoctor
Reza Thief

Post by HuBBsDoctor »

drumlord wrote:Just tossing that in there. I'm also part of "teh industry" and I can tell you it is very easy to have false information and in almost all cases it is not intentional. However, in some cases it actually is intentional. As a journalist yourself, you must have come across embargoed information by now. Companies love to tell press things that press can't tell anybody else. It's really quite annoying. I know about several games (nothing too huge sadly) that I can't talk about. I only wish I was "in" on Lunar for DS as Lunar is one of my favorite game series.

I do in fact agree with you on the flase info. Companies love the publicity for their games.