Possible story for L:DS?

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Possible story for L:DS?

Post by Aaron »

I know a summary of the game is posted but I also wanted to throw out an idea.

I was looking at one of the DS screenshots and I noticed how the (presumably) Goddess Tower is surrounded by water, could mean that this game has taken place a little while after Althena had "shed tears to destroy the wickedness of the Magic Empire" or something to that extent (This is from Lunar: The Silver Star Story for Sega CD)...I drew that conclusion from the Lunar timeline/time table on this website and of course the DS screenshot.

If so I think this completely complicates Lucia's character...Because Lucia was suppost to be the Guardian of the Blue Star. Now that I think about it...in Lunar 2 does Lucia ever say she was present at the destruction of the Blue Star by Althena? Maybe she just knows a lot of history?

Maybe Lucia is native to Lunar...? :shock:

So any thoughts about this theory?

I Know the ultimate answer will come when the game is released but I like to make speculation about this :)

expect an update with links backing up what I'm saying I cant do it now as my schools server blocks ur site...but not your forums fortunately.

segaboy7
Red Dragon Priest

Lunar Story

Post by segaboy7 »

Well from I understood, is that Yes Lucia was around for when Althena banished Zophar and took the people of the Blue Star to Lunar. From what I understood, it was Lucia's duty as the Princess?(I think thats what she was) of the Blue Star to stay there sleeping untill the time came for the Blue Star to be inhabited again. So what if this game is a Lunar game, but doesn't even take place on Lunar but on the Blue Star. I know thats very unlikely but not completely out of the question. What will most likely happen is it will just be some time in the Lunar Timeline that really has nothing to do with anything, and has no relivence to Lunar 1 or 2. I do like where you were going with your idea, i just highly doubt it would happen that way

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I'm inclined to agree with segaboy7, that the story will not be connected to either Lunar 1 or 2. However, here's the TSS text you were thinking of:

Library of Vane in TSS wrote: LONG AGO, THE WORLD HAD MORE
MANA THAN IT DOES TODAY.

AT THAT TIME, THE WORLD WAS
RULED BY A GIANT MAGIC
EMPIRE...

THE MAGIC EMPIRE REVOLTED
AGAINST THE GODDESS ALTHENA,
TRYING TO CONQUER THE WORLD.

THE DEEDS OF THE MAGIC
EMPIRE SADDENED ALTHENA.

HER TEARS FELL FOR 7 DAYS
AND NIGHTS,

PURIFYING THE WORLD AND
CRUSHING THE EMPIRE.

WHERE ARE THE EMPIRE'S
RUINS TODAY? NO ONE KNOWS
FOR SURE...

THE GODDESS' TEARS CAUSED
VANE TO RISE INTO THE SKY,
ESCAPING THE DELUGE.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

And here's something else, brought up in a discussion with a friend who read the scans (in Japanese, not the translation posted here):
  • Marvelous Entertainment's Lunar page shows a view of a dead-looking world from the surface of a very habitable looking one. Note the dead looking one is named moon.. which leads to wonder, I know it's been speculated about, but do we actually know that none of Lunar: Genesis takes place on the Blue Star?
  • This is a subjective, but aside from the hair color, this Lucia looks a lot like Lucia from Lunar 2... and presumably her hair color could easily change during the game.
  • From the scan translation, this Lucia's ability is to use "the magic of Althena"
  • Additionally, it says "her destiny changes on one journey with Gien. "
  • I know personally several Lunar fans who've wondered about the specific relationship between Althena and Lucia (not that this means much, but if it's more widespread, presumably the developers know people are curious about it).
  • Finally, I believe I recall the developers seemed to indicate the relationship was something they wanted to or had originally intended to expand on in Lunar 2 (one online: here; I think there was another I read, although it might have been on physical paper).
Granted, this is all speculation. ;)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

We were talking about this over at the Shrine; I forgot that that discussion didn't happen here.

Using "the magic of Althena" probably just means that she has healing spells a la Jessica or Ronfar.

While her name is Romanized the same way as EB's Lucia, it's actually different in Japanese -- in EB she's ruushia, while this one is rushia.

Finally, my own observation is that EB's Lucia clearly didn't know anything at all about humans...that was sort of the theme of EB, that she gradually became human (heh, I referred to that in my haiku). It seems really unlikely to me that she would've encountered them in this way before and been so ignorant of them when she meets Hiro. Even if you assume some amnesia it seems unlikely to me.

danth
Reza Thief

Post by danth »

Ahh, so there is one extra vowel in the Japanese name! That totally means this new Lucia is a clone. That's just how you name clones -- double a vowel from the original name. I think that's an actual First Rule of Cloning or something.

I wonder if I'm the first to hypothesize this? Anyway, that's my official prediction: Rushia is the original, and Ruushia is the clone, or (but less likely) the other way around.
I want to go back.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

So clearly Luna must be a clone of the world of Lunar, since the same difference exists between their Japanes names.

:roll:

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

And here's something else, brought up in a discussion with a friend who read the scans (in Japanese, not the translation posted here):
Marvelous Entertainment's Lunar page shows a view of a dead-looking world from the surface of a very habitable looking one. Note the dead looking one is named moon.. which leads to wonder, I know it's been speculated about, but do we actually know that none of Lunar: Genesis takes place on the Blue Star?

This is a subjective, but aside from the hair color, this Lucia looks a lot like Lucia from Lunar 2... and presumably her hair color could easily change during the game.

From the scan translation, this Lucia's ability is to use "the magic of Althena"

Additionally, it says "her destiny changes on one journey with Gien. "

I know personally several Lunar fans who've wondered about the specific relationship between Althena and Lucia (not that this means much, but if it's more widespread, presumably the developers know people are curious about it).

Finally, I believe I recall the developers seemed to indicate the relationship was something they wanted to or had originally intended to expand on in Lunar 2 (one online: here; I think there was another I read, although it might have been on physical paper).

If it did take place on blue star maybe Gien and Lucia got together and had Lucia from Lunar 2 together. :P

Pluvius
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Pluvius »

Alunissage wrote:So clearly Luna must be a clone of the world of Lunar, since the same difference exists between their Japanes names.

Makes sense to me. XD
RED! Do you know what that means? I am the most powerful trainer in the world.

danth
Reza Thief

Post by danth »

Alunissage wrote:So clearly Luna must be a clone of the world of Lunar, since the same difference exists between their Japanes names.

If you're going to take things so seriously, at least be careful. I said "double a vowel in the original name." So if there was another character in the game named Lunaa, then I would venture a guess that she was a Luna clone.

Ever heard of Luuke Skywalker?

As for cloning planets from people, I'd love to hear the explaination of that technique.
I want to go back.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

danth wrote:If you're going to take things so seriously, at least be careful. I said "double a vowel in the original name." So if there was another character in the game named Lunaa, then I would venture a guess that she was a Luna clone.

Uh, Luna's name does double a vowel. The world and game is runa; Luna's name is ruuna (romanized Luhna in the manuals and artbooks). It's exactly the same change as between rushia and ruushia. You should be more careful in your corrections. Oh, and let's not forget that Nall's name in Japanese is written naru, the same two characters as in Lunar.

Ever heard of Luuke Skywalker?

As for cloning planets from people, I'd love to hear the explaination of that technique.

The point was that the precedent for those name changes in the Lunar universe makes no sense in the idea of cloning; if you applied your rule rigorously you'd be forced to come to that ridiculous conclusion. You can't generalize from one series to another.

And I think my whole post should've made it obvious that I don't take your cloning theory seriously. However, I get annoyed when people "correct" me due to their own error.

Pluvius
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Pluvius »

Alunissage wrote:
danth wrote:If you're going to take things so seriously, at least be careful. I said "double a vowel in the original name." So if there was another character in the game named Lunaa, then I would venture a guess that she was a Luna clone.

Uh, Luna's name does double a vowel. The world and game is runa; Luna's name is ruuna (romanized Luhna in the manuals and artbooks). It's exactly the same change as between rushia and ruushia. You should be more careful in your corrections. Oh, and let's not forget that Nall's name in Japanese is written naru, the same two characters as in Lunar.
I hate when they romanize things that way... They should just romanize them as they're pronounced, yeesh.

Edit:
On second thought, how they're written. I hate it when people write konnichiwa...
RED! Do you know what that means? I am the most powerful trainer in the world.

danth
Reza Thief

Post by danth »

Alunissage wrote:Uh, Luna's name does double a vowel. The world and game is runa; Luna's name is ruuna (romanized Luhna in the manuals and artbooks). It's exactly the same change as between rushia and ruushia.

Ohhh...well if you had just said Runa and Ruuna I would have know what you meant. I've never seen any of the Japanese names so I didn't know what you were talking about. But yeah, you're right about that.

Since you are the resident sage of all things Lunar, would you mind telling me the original Japanese name of the goddess Althena?
I want to go back.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Arutena. It's visible in one of the first screenshots in Kizyr's Legend guide, if you read katakana.

And I said the same difference existed between Luna and Lunar. Since both Luna and Lucia begin with 'lu' I thought it was clear enough.

segaboy7
Red Dragon Priest

Post by segaboy7 »

Wow this topic is really heating up. But Honestly I really think some of you are thinking way to far into this. I really have the feeling this game will have nothing that effects either Lunar game in it. I mean it could but it just seems like its been taken as more of a side story ect

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Pluvius wrote:I hate when they romanize things that way... They should just romanize them as they're pronounced, yeesh.

Edit:
On second thought, how they're written. I hate it when people write konnichiwa...

Right... romanization is only meant to convey Japanese sounds in Roman script. It looks ugly if it's used for actual naming purposes. Besides which, nearly every proper name in Lunar is derived from a European name to begin with. It's silly to directly romanize it and leave it as-is.

Otherwise, we'd be talking about the game Runa: Za Shirubaa Sutaa, which just looks stupid. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Yeah, we should do that for all the weapon names too. Let's make players run into battle wielding an Aian Soodo because that's what the katakana says!

(Yes, I'm in a facetious mood.)
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

danth
Reza Thief

Post by danth »

Alunissage wrote:Arutena. It's visible in one of the first screenshots in Kizyr's Legend guide, if you read katakana.

Cool, thanks. And sorry about the misunderstanding.

As for my clone theory, I wasn't serious that Luucia "totally has to be a clone" -- of course it's wild speculation. I've just seen that naming convention used in other places, so I thought it was funny that they did that with Lucia's name.
I want to go back.

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

I think Althena is Lucia...

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Well I'm sure someone can take the air out of my balloon so to speak but I think perhaps this DS Lucia is actually Althena... maybe it's a long shot, but maybe this Lucia is one of her incarnations and she becomes so fond of it that when the EB Lucia comes along she gives her a similiar name... I dunno, actually I guess it doesn't make much sense... but it mentions how she uses the power of Althena and that's one reason this popped into my head.

Another reason I suddenly thought of this is due to what's said in the article that was recently scanned... that one of the themes in DS is "the presence of Althena, who keeps transmigrating, and her personal anguish" I think in order to really delve into this we'd have to get personal as possible, as in she'd have to be one of the main characters... well she wouldn't HAVE to be... just a thought. Anyone else thought of this? Or again, maybe I'm just silly :P

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I think you're just being silly. There's no Althena... KF
~Kizyr (they|them)