Help if possible

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
Dragonmaster Dyne
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Help if possible

Post by Dragonmaster Dyne »

Just got Dragon Song and lovin it as i should. Any tidbits of info would be nice.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Beware of equipment being stolen or broken, permanently. Be prepared to save after every battle that this doesn't happen, or use a card (Termite?) to prevent one or the other of those.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

In general, use the cards! They make the game go by a lot more smoothly.

In particular, take note of the MP-restoration cards (I think it's the Hellbird card?). That's the most useful one, because you can't actually buy MP-restoration items any time in the game, but the card will refill all party members' MP with one use. If you take note of where you drop it, too, then you can just swing back and pick up a new card every time you use up the old one.

Besides that, after you hit level 8 or 9, then don't bother conserving your HP while running. I just ran all the time by level 10, and used healing gums (which are really cheap) to restore myself as needed. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Also, you can hold the L&R trigger buttons to speed up the flow of the battles so you don't have to suffer through long and drawn out battle animations. You can also blow into the mic hole to run from battle but I never found myself having to do it.

As Kizyr stated, you can always regain the cards you used up by fighting specific enemies that drop those cards. Don't use them frivolously as sometimes it may take a while to return to earlier areas where you aquired the card in the first place. Follow Alunissage's advice about frequent saving because you never know when an enemy will get a lucky strike and destroy a piece of your equipment. This shouldn't happen until about midway into the game. You will also need to use Gad's Express to aquire money from deliveries.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Hah, I'd actually forgotten about all the problems I had with the microphone Run command. Another piece of advice: Don't play it in a noisy environment. I was playing on my commuter train, and several times I'd be about to win a battle and the mic would pick up noise and make my party run. :? However, I seem to have been the only person who had that problem, so it may not apply to you.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I remember you posting about that, Alun. Maybe you had an extra sensitive DS. :)

I don't understand why they just didn't enable a command like "RUN!" to be yelled into the mic. I guess they were thinking about being drunk while playing so they wanted to use the mic as a breathalizer.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Silver Phoenix wrote:I don't understand why they just didn't enable a command like "RUN!" to be yelled into the mic. I guess they were thinking about being drunk while playing so they wanted to use the mic as a breathalizer.
Either the mic just isn't sensitive enough to discern words, or actually programming it to recognize a specific word is way too much work to be worth it. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

Silver Phoenix wrote:I remember you posting about that, Alun. Maybe you had an extra sensitive DS. :)

I don't understand why they just didn't enable a command like "RUN!" to be yelled into the mic. I guess they were thinking about being drunk while playing so they wanted to use the mic as a breathalizer.
i guess ud have to be drunk to really enjoy this game

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Kizyr wrote:
Silver Phoenix wrote:I don't understand why they just didn't enable a command like "RUN!" to be yelled into the mic. I guess they were thinking about being drunk while playing so they wanted to use the mic as a breathalizer.
Either the mic just isn't sensitive enough to discern words, or actually programming it to recognize a specific word is way too much work to be worth it. KF

I don't think that's the case. Brain Age requires you to yell out a color while playing so it wouldn't be any different for a word as simple as run. The developers were just being lazy or innovatively stupid.

Iga
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Iga »

Silver Phoenix wrote:I don't think that's the case. Brain Age requires you to yell out a color while playing so it wouldn't be any different for a word as simple as run. The developers were just being lazy or innovatively stupid
Maybe they just didn't want the players to be embarrased to play the game in public. I sure as hell wouldn't want to have to shout "RUN!" to myself in front of everybody.
Last edited by Iga on Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

If you're only using the mic for one command throughout the entire game, there's no particular reason to implement any sort of word-recognition -- a lot of work for no purpose. For something like Nintendogs it's essential, but it isn't here.

I think the mic use was done stupidly in that there's no way to turn it off and it's completely unnecessary since there's a button to do it as well. But the lack of recognition isn't a quibble I have with it, other than the picking up other sounds. I wonder if putting tape over the mic would help. Like the two-screen battles, it's something that was done because OMG IT'S A DS GAME and we have to use all the functionality!!!

Dragonmaster Dyne
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dragonmaster Dyne »

Thanks for the advice. As for Alun's problem. I too face the randomly running. I thought it happened when noise was said or when i hit a bump riding in a car. It made me so mad because i was close to victory then 5 straight attempts to run failed. I died and lost of course.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

What about putting a piece of tape over the mic?

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Err
BANNED

Post by Err »

That's right earthlings, beg for help!
The Moon Rules!