Lunar nintendo power scans

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Rune Lai wrote:I haven't played most of the games Sakurabaa has composed, but Baten Kaitos is one of my favorite soundtracks (I'm actually listening to it right now). I don't think he would be a particularly bad choice, but there is something particularly fruity about Iwadare that makes his work distinguishable, and I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way. I was playing Grandia II and a couple tracks made me think of Lunar because they sounded like something that belongs in Lunar.

I think the thing that makes Iwadare's music so distinct is his use of stringed instruments. He has a really wonderful way of utilizing them so that his compositions sound really full and rich. Sakuraba, on the other hand, relies heavily on brass and synth. Even when he does use strings like in that cool violin/viola-based battle theme for Baten Kaitos, it's not used as extensively or complexly as in Iwadare's work.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

DevNall wrote:(And for those of you complaining about GBA video quality, remember that the DS has more powerful hardware, so better compression techniques can be used.)

There was no one "complaining" about video quality. It is very easy to fill up the existing space on a 512 Mbit DS cart with an RPG-styled game. If Lunar: Dragon Song wants to have a lot of cut scenes in addition to an elaborate (for a DS) game then they will have to compress them. The more scenes they want, the more compression they'll need. Better techniques not withstanding, there is a point where the video is going to start looking like crap and that's the saturation point limiting how many scenes they can add. If it comes down to a new dungeons versus cut scenes, they'll likely take the dungeons since that's were the gameplay is.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Rune Lai wrote:There was no one "complaining" about video quality.

Rune Lai wrote:People have been able to fit video on the GBA in the past, but have you seen how it looks? The compression is pretty ugly and you need higher quality stuff for cut scenes and that takes space.

Sounded a little like a complaint to me. :)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Looks more like stating a fact to me...
-G1

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

If he thinks it's a complaint, whatever. :P The internet's text and he wants to twist my words I don't want to waste the breath arguing over it.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

GhaleonOne wrote:Looks more like stating a fact to me...

Oh, well, sorry then :P

But I don't think that detracts any from the point. Games like Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger only occupied a fraction of the space a DS cart has (Chrono Trigger was 4 megabytes, or 32 megabits). Sure, the processors are far more powerful and the audio hardware is different, but the DS video hardware largely appears to be an evolution of the GBA hardware, and that was just an enhanced version of the SNES's hardware.

Anyway, I think at some point we may see a game with a reasonable amount of nice cutscenes and whatnot on the DS. I have no idea what Game Arts is planning or how they'd like to use their space, so maybe Lunar won't (or atleast THIS Lunar won't), but I believe it's possible.

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

I hated the music from Baten Kaitos... seriously. I hope it doesn't turn out anything like that for the Lunar DS music... hey, I just realized that the intitials for Dragon Song are "DS" and the game itself plays on the Nintendo DS... that's scary.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Didn't like the Baten Kaitos music? That's the first time I've ever heard that. The only tracks I didn't really like were the ones during the Giacomo battles because they were weird and techno-ish. I thought all of the other ones were really pretty.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I still need to play Baten Kaitos...I want to play it but my gamecube is pretty much dead giving me a disk error after about 20 minutes for every single game I put in it...dang gamecube! Oh well, I'll have to listen to some soundtracks from Baten Kaitos to see if the music is any good.

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Make sure you play Tales of Symphonia before you play Baten Kaitos, cause Tales is such a great RPG.

LuciaOne
Goddess

Post by LuciaOne »

"Lunar cultivated a rabidly enthusiastic fan base"

HECK YES IT DID!
::high fives everyone at boards::
I found my old siggie! MUAH HAHAHAHAHA!!!
~~~
Sir Kizyr: ::high-pitched voice:: Ohh lookit me, I'm a cute li'l elf!
MiaAusa: Oh wait! NO I GET IT.
MiaAusa: It's him finally fessing up the the fact that HE IS a cut li'l elf. :d
MiaAusa: Hey, chance" NO I GET IT" to "NOW I GET IT"
MiaAusa: change**
MiaAusa: I'm mad with grammar today
MiaAusa: bad**

I'm mad with grammar too.
~~~
Sir Kizyr: Here's a lovely song about my favorite food
Sir Kizyr: Lima, lento, soy, and pinto ~ Navy, northern, and garbanzo! ~ Kidneys and frijoles negros
Sir Kizyr: I love beans, I love beans, woo woo woo! ~ How 'bout you? ~ High in fiber ~ Low in fat ~ Hey, I betcha didn't know that
Sir Kizyr: When I eat beans, I sit in my little cloud, I don't know why ~ maybe 'cause I'm cuttin' muffins ~~ Because....
Sir Kizyr: I love beans! Hey hey hey! ~ I love beans everyday! ~ Beans are an excellent source of protein ~ I love beans!
Sir Kizyr: Diggydoo!
~~~

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Make sure you play Tales of Symphonia before you play Baten Kaitos, cause Tales is such a great RPG.

I have Tale of Symphonia. (Acutally 2 copies of it but let's not get into that) I started playing Tales of Symphonia when my gamecube broke. I only played it for about 9 hours before my gamecube begain to be stupid and give me heck. I want to play the game so badly...but I can't until I get a new gamecube or figure out how to fix it. :(

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

If you want to be REALLY evil, just take back your Gamecube in the box if you still have it to Walmart and say it doesn't work right and you don't have a receipt. I dunno what it's like in the US, but here in Canada, they willl always give you a new one :P

I only did that once, but it was for my defective PSP. I bought it at Future Shop and went to Walmart for a new one :shock: I'm evil... :twisted:

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Depends on how old it is. I had a friend who tried to pull that with a busted PS that was like 3 years old, and they check the serial/model number to see when it was made.

Personally though. Sony needs to take more responsibility for the shoddy hareware they put out. So many PS1 and PS2's had trouble, and there's already complaints on a number of PSP issues.
-G1

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I got it back when they first came out with Gamecubes that Christmas...whenever that was. I think it was 2001 or 2002...so I doubt I could even try to return it being so old and me not knowing where I put the box. :P Oh well...I'll probably have money to buy a new one around this Christmas.

keele864
Red Dragon Priest

Post by keele864 »

Personally though. Sony needs to take more responsibility for the shoddy hareware they put out. So many PS1 and PS2's had trouble, and there's already complaints on a number of PSP issues.

I agree. I really hope Sony takes a hit for their poor quality somewhere down the road. The other two console manufacturers, Nintendo especially, put out really high quality products. My launch-day Gamecube still works fine (though the controller has a broken/ stuck joystick).

Chiriku
Lyton Singer

Post by Chiriku »

It looks so awsome! :D Wonder when it will come out.
Hello peeps! :)

Joe17
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Joe17 »

:Do boy o boy o boy!!!!! :D i can't wait for it to come out. but the only bad thing is is that now i got to work more so i can buy a DS and the game :roll:

laus
Iluk Crackpot

Post by laus »

Dark_Fairy wrote:I got it back when they first came out with Gamecubes that Christmas...whenever that was. I think it was 2001 or 2002...so I doubt I could even try to return it being so old and me not knowing where I put the box. :P Oh well...I'll probably have money to buy a new one around this Christmas.

I would suggest you still try to send it to Nintendo. Even if you've had it since launch, I still think you got a good chance of getting it repaired from them free of charge. I heard people send their GC to Nintendo even after the warranty expired for minor problems and got it back repaired for free.

So If I were you, I would try my lux and call them. Nintendo customer service has a very good reputation so I would'nt be surprise if it worked for you too.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Hmmm...I might have to try that. Thanks for the advice. Anything would be better than buying a new one for $100.