? about Screenshots Library

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
Sadrin
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

? about Screenshots Library

Post by Sadrin »

I was looking at the screenshots of lds and saw that alot of the pictures are different than whats in the game. mostly just map changes and one picture of Jian. In a few of the last pictures it shows that Jian's name is Glen.

So i was just wondering about all of this... I like the name Glen much more than Jian.
Depend On You Changed My Life.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Re: ? about Screenshots Library

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Having ten check boxes for Virtue Mode in the Thieves' Woods is also not exactly on-point with the final release, is it? I'm guessing this is just a quick mock-up done by Ubisoft's marketing people before the actual localization had begun.

And I agree that Glen would have been a better name for Jian, though obviously Pinky is the character whose name should have been something else entirely. I've also always been bugged by Gabriel's name. That's a guy's name, Gabrielle being the feminine equivalent.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Pinky: Gee, Jian, what are we going to do tomorrow night?
Jian: Same thing we do every night: Try to become Dragonmaster!

I kinda like the name Jian. I have to admit though: I have no clue how it's supposed to be pronounced.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Sadrin wrote:I was looking at the screenshots of lds and saw that alot of the pictures are different than whats in the game. mostly just map changes and one picture of Jian. In a few of the last pictures it shows that Jian's name is Glen.
First, the name is Gien, not Glen (look closely at the screenshot). The Japanese pick for Jian's name was "Gien". I thought it looked unusual myself (like Kyle being Killy, and EB Lucia being Lucier), and it wasn't apparent how it was pronounced. It was used until there was a set standard for how the names were going to be translated.

I actually recommended using "Jian", which was the straight transliteration of his name. The only other equivalent would've been "Jean" (French Jean, like Jean-Jacques or Jean-Luc), which would've been read like EB Jean (long E sound).
ilovemyguitar wrote:And I agree that Glen would have been a better name for Jian, though obviously Pinky is the character whose name should have been something else entirely. I've also always been bugged by Gabriel's name. That's a guy's name, Gabrielle being the feminine equivalent.
Second, the name is Gabryel, not Gabriel. They actually thought the same thing, that Gabriel was the masculine form. But, there were several places where "Gabrielle" had too many letters to fit in a few screens, so it was changed to Gabryel. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Kizyr wrote: I actually recommended using "Jian", which was the straight transliteration of his name. The only other equivalent would've been "Jean" (French Jean, like Jean-Jacques or Jean-Luc), which would've been read like EB Jean (long E sound).
I actually remember you saying that now. That's how I was pronouncing it too, so I guess it worked :lol: .

Sadrin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sadrin »

Ahhhh... Thanks Kizyr! I didn't see the i in Gien. looks like an L due to the quality of the picture and the typeface being used. Thanks for info! I've been just calling him Jean forever now.
Depend On You Changed My Life.