About the "Dragons and Dragonmasters" section

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

About the "Dragons and Dragonmasters" section

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Did anyone else find it somewhat odd that the description of the Dragonmasters in the Storyline subheading of the Dragon Song section of the site specifically noted the possibilty of a female Dragonmaster? It states:

It is said that a Dragonmaster must obtain the approval of each of the Four Dragons to be worthy of the title, and it is he (or she) who swears loyalty to the Goddess to forever protect her.

I don't think I've ever seen it written that way, so I wonder if it was just haphazard or purposeful. After all, Flora is the only main character with Alex's green eyes now, isn't she? Of course, it's Jian's dream to be a Dragonmaster, not Flora's. It does say, however, that she "has her own hopes and dreams", though that's pretty vague. Overall, it probably doesn't make much sense. Just thought I'd bring it up.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

There were two female Dragonmasters mentioned in one of the books in the Library of Vane in SSS. I can't recall their names, but they were twins. That's why the "(or she)" is included there. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Alicia and Laticia. I think the Blue Dragon talks about them too.

And why, pray, wouldn't there be the possibility of a female Dragonmaster? There is nothing odd about this.

And Dyne didn't have green eyes. The prophecy was specifically about Alex, not dragonmasters in general.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Alunissage wrote:And why, pray, wouldn't there be the possibility of a female Dragonmaster? There is nothing odd about this.

I didn't say that it was odd for a woman to be a Dragonmaster. Actually, I think I'd rather like it if that were part of a future Lunar. I was just saying that it seemed odd that the interjection "or she" was included when I didn't ever remember seeing something similar in the past. That's all. Oh, and thanks for pointing out the prophecy thingy. :wink:

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Sorry, I'm extremely grumpy these days. I was actually fairly disappointed....well, maybe resigned is more the word to describe my reaction to yet another male protagonist in this game, since I wasn't really expecting any different. It's nice that female dragonmasters are mentioned, but since the only two were apparently co-dragonmasters, "proving two are better than one", there's the implication that they weren't considered good enough to go it solo as the men did, which isn't that much of an improvement. (You wonder how the equipment was handled in that case, though.)

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Maybe one took the helmet and shield and the other the armor and wings. Then they can take turns wielding the sword. :P There's a fanfic being written by one of the board members at the Shrine to Ghaleon about the twin Dragonmasters, but I don't know how the author intends to split the equipment.

As for yet another male protagonist... I wasn't expecting any different either, but I'd like more girls one of these days. One reason I like the Lost Kingdoms series on GameCube is that the protagonists in both installments are female. Of all the RPGs I've played so far on current generation consoles, the LK series has been the only ones with female protags (aside from games that offer multiple/customizable main characters).
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

Does it specifically say that the twins were Dragonmaters at the same TIME? I mean technically one could of kicked the bucket and the other one filled her shoes :P
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

A Dragonmaster needs the approval of the four dragons, but I don't quite recall the equipment being a necessity. Maybe one of them was a warrior-type who wore the armor, and the other was a magic-user who had robes instead. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Do the various Dragon Armors always have to look the same? I figured that the designers might make them take different forms for different users so that the Dragonmaster character design wouldn't become overly bland. They could cover up the fact that Dyne's and Alex's were the same by stating that it was Alex's dream to be like Dyne. Hence, he was granted armors of the same appearance. I'd like to see Jian (if he becomes a Dragonmaster) in equipment that looks a little different. If they end up making the Four Heroes game, they'll have three Dragonmasters in the same Dragon Armor if they don't switch it up this time. Bleh.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

The Dragon Armor which Hiro wore looked quite different. In fact, I think he had different types of equipment to begin with. It's been a while since I played so I don't remember the specific details, but I mean, say, receiving a helm instead of a shield from the black dragon, and so forth. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Hm? I don't recall him getting actual dragon equipment other than the wings and sword, both of which he got from Nall without trials being involved. There were treasures found in the various dragon caves, but I don't think they were considered the dragonmaster's equipment. The end goal of each was using the dragon aura, not getting something.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, I agree with that. I don't believe other than the Wings and ALthena's Sword that the other treasure-found equipment was the Dragon equipment. Would be interesting to find out what did happen with them over time though.
-G1

segaboy7
Red Dragon Priest

Post by segaboy7 »

my guess, is that when Luna gave up her powers as Althena, and Alex gave up his, that the armour dissapered with their power, because remember in the end of the Lunar SSSC the armour dissapered off Alex once rescuing Luna. Being that Althena was no more, the armour doesn't need to exist because there is no longer any goddess to protect. Thats the only thing I can think of that would have happened to it.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

segaboy7 wrote:my guess, is that when Luna gave up her powers as Althena, and Alex gave up his, that the armour dissapered with their power, because remember in the end of the Lunar SSSC the armour dissapered off Alex once rescuing Luna. Being that Althena was no more, the armour doesn't need to exist because there is no longer any goddess to protect. Thats the only thing I can think of that would have happened to it.

I should think that if the three armors disappeared, Althena's Sword would have gone away with them, but that's not the case. The sword, which was the main implement of the Dragonmaster, still remains.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Consider also that in the flashback of Althena's reincarnation, Dyne's armor dissolves as he walks forward, just as Alex's does. So it's clearly not (in that continuity) the same literal pieces of armor for every Dragonmaster. On the other hand, Althena's Sword lasted to be stuck in that monument -- which is silly plotwise, but that's not the point. It seems to be in a separate category from the other dragon equipment; it may even predate the dragons, being Althena's sword.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

But does Althena predate the Dragons? I actually think I remember something about the dragons being around since the beginning of time.

Edit - http://www.lunar-net.com/timeline/tss-dragons.jpg

Though now that I think of it, as I was playing EBC today, outside the Red Dragon Cave, Nall tells Ruby that Althena gave the dragons immortal life. So it's hard to say really.

Blue_Sycro
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Blue_Sycro »

Well I don't think the Dragon equipment disappeared, because you can find Dyne's armour (which looks exactly like the dragon armor, so I'm assuming it is) in the Epilogue of EBC. The little description of it is something like, "A Dragonmaster perspired in this" meaning Dyne was a Dragonmaster when he wore it, therefore making it the Dragon armor. It might be the same armor for each Dragonmaster, considering Dyne's armor still exists over 1000 years later. I confuse myself :shock:

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

If it is the same armor every time, it looks like it'd be pretty uncomfortable for a female Dragonmaster to wear. :?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Blue_Sycro wrote:Well I don't think the Dragon equipment disappeared, because you can find Dyne's armour (which looks exactly like the dragon armor, so I'm assuming it is) in the Epilogue of EBC. The little description of it is something like, "A Dragonmaster perspired in this" meaning Dyne was a Dragonmaster when he wore it, therefore making it the Dragon armor. It might be the same armor for each Dragonmaster, considering Dyne's armor still exists over 1000 years later. I confuse myself :shock:

I always interpreted that to be the armor Dyne wore before becoming Dragonmaster. I'll have to look at it, but I certainly recall other armor sprites being similar to the dragon armor. There's also a Dyne's Sword, which isn't the Sword of Althena. Oh, and there are actually two sets of Dyne's armor; Leo has one equipped when you pick him up again.

I'm pretty sure the dragon armor is a manifestation of each dragon's will/power, returning to the dragons when the dragonmaster dies or steps down. Nall was the only adult and active dragon in EB, and the White Dragon Wings were the only piece of dragon equipment.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

The Dragon Armor ended up on eBay, like all the rare Lunar merchandise.