Three minutes of footage at IGN

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Three minutes of footage at IGN

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Check here:

http://media.ds.ign.com/media/722/722763/vids_1.html

The boss battle music sounds surprisingly decent, and it really does look much better in action. I'd like to hear recordings of the music at a higher quality, though. Curse IGN for their low sound quality, but bless them for the movies! :D
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

laus
Iluk Crackpot

Post by laus »

Looks ok I guess. I thought It would be a little bit better than that in motion but it's still alright.

As long as the characters, story & world are great I'll be happy

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, just got an Email about it. I'll post it on the main page in a bit.
-G1

Audric
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Audric »

Not too shabby

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Hmmmm. Looks more like they pulled a Golden Sun stunt for the battles. Well, 3D wise. And Golden Sun for the GBA, is what I meant. I also noticed that the characters don't have very much MP. They also made the characters look like adults with those fiendish sprites. I miss the old lunar sprites. The current sprites look pretty old school.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Hm, I see what you mean about the comparison to Golden Sun. Looks a thousand times better, though; GS was rough even on the GBA and a pixellated mess on the GBP which is one reason I never got around to finishing it. I should play it on my DS...anyway, yeah, the music isn't bad.

Regarding the characters, this must be fairly far into the game with the numbers being that high. I think it's not that far off from what Alex had in SSSC, though; he barely had any MP at all and couldn't even use Dragon Protect when he got it. I wouldn't sweat it. He's doing so much more damage than the others and seems more like a Kyle character skillwise.

The movies look nice as one screen, but we'll be playing it on two...I wonder if anything will come out to play DS games on TV or at least to simply pipe the A/V to a TV as well as on the DS.

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

It's Nintendo... of course they'll have a way to play DS games on console :P

But yeah, those trailers were nice. Gabriel used her special too much though :roll:

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

phyco126 wrote:Hmmmm. Looks more like they pulled a Golden Sun stunt for the battles. Well, 3D wise. And Golden Sun for the GBA, is what I meant.

The main thing that's better about the Lunar: DS battles is the fact that the floor rotates with the sprites. In Golden Sun, the floor was part of the static background and sometimes looked really strange as it tried to pan around and accomodate the changing angle of the character line.

In regard to the comments about the limited skill use, for some reason, it really looked like they were playing with a partial build. When they selected Gabryel's special move option, she always executed that flare whirlwind. No other choices were given, contrasting sharply with the plethora of options in Flora's skill window. Also, I think they tried to click on Jian's skill window once but were unable to access it even when his MP was full. We know Jian has some skills since we've seen screens of them, and I would assume that he'll learn them at some point before level 61 or whatever level he had in there.

Anyway, I think that's what I recall happening in the video. I'm at school right now, so I can't check the stuff at IGN to confirm it.

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

It made me dizzy :P

The music...a bit disappointing, but it was expected. I like their victory dance. It definitely looks exciting and I can't wait.
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I can't watch it. It wants me to sign up and pay money and I can't do that. :cry:

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Hmmm... I don't think I'll like the game all that much. When I play it, I might like it enough to enjoy, but it will never be anywhere close to any of the other lunars I have played *gasp* Not even L:L!

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

You see, this is why I sometimes regret paying any attention to gaming news at all. If this game had been bought by me with no preknowledge, as EB was...well, then I still might resent it as I did EB, but I probably wouldn't have a problem considering it a Lunar eventually. Knowing too much about it now makes it hard to see it as part of the series, because it's not as immersive...there's the reminder that it's just a story made by some people, rather than being THE telling of events. I feel the same way when I read interviews talking about story things that weren't implemented, because it's too much of a reminder that it's fabricated. I suppose it's a tradeoff.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Dark_Fairy wrote:I can't watch it. It wants me to sign up and pay money and I can't do that. :cry:

That's only for the high-resolution ones; you can download the low-resolution ones for free.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Check LunarNET later tonight. I'll have some really high res video's up. Not sure yet if they're new video's or higher resolution ones of the ones IGN has.

Edit - Same vids, but so high quality that I'll have to find a way to re-encode them. I will say at uncompressed levels the graphics and music are very nice. The compression on the video's IGN and GameSpot have up doesn't do the game justice.
-G1

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Well if you get better sound from the higher resolution vids, let us know when they're accessible. I'm sorry, but that music is not sounding good to me. What is the deal with the lack of animation in the backgrounds? I was so disappointed when I played EBC, because even the Sega CD Eternal Blue had animation going on in the background during battles. With the lava shown, Eternal Blue had animation in it's Red Dragon Cave, but not in the remake, nor Dragon Song. I think SSS didn't have any either, or it was minimal.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Silver Phoenix wrote:What is the deal with the lack of animation in the backgrounds?

I noticed that, too. You'd think they'd atleast be able to have the lava moving around a bit, it's not that hard.

HuBBsDoctor
Reza Thief

Post by HuBBsDoctor »

Is it me or does the battle system resemble breathe of fire 1&2 spanned over 2 screens?

laus
Iluk Crackpot

Post by laus »

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Nice preview actually.
-G1

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Ooh! I like. It's too bad that I have to stream it and watch it in that tiny window. The walkabout stuff looks awesome, though . . .