Animation Sequences

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
Jyd3n
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Jyd3n »

I don't know about you guys but it is very possible tohave some decent voiceovers for the cutscenes. I mario 64 the princess talks to you and the whole introduction is done by voice. It was actually really good, so I'm looking forward to any cutscene in Dragon Song

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

HuBBsDoctor wrote:No you're right. One wikipedia it says 1 gigabit. But thats about to be expanded with Resident Evil DS. The game itself was over 300MB on CD and since they are also going to include the FMV's in the game its gonna be a costly $40 game.

So they put a lot of effort into compression. Resident Evil for the N64 was done on a 64MB cart (64 megabytes = 512 megabits).

LUNARverse
Pao Hunter

Post by LUNARverse »

Most games dont even use the gigabit size cartridge. Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow is on a 64MB cart and the data itself only takes up about 47MB of that.

HuBBsDoctor
Reza Thief

Post by HuBBsDoctor »

DevNall wrote:
So they put a lot of effort into compression. Resident Evil for the N64 was done on a 64MB cart (64 megabytes = 512 megabits).

Resident Evil 2 was on a 512MB cart.
As taken from wikipedia.

"Since the N64 uses cartridges instead of discs, several compression techniques had to be used in order to fit all of the game's voice acting and FMV sequences into a 512 MB cartridge. In spite of this, there's a noticeable drop in quality in scenes and dialogue compared to the original PlayStation version and certain "duplicate" FMV scenes were also removed, resulting in continuity errors such as Leon and Claire getting off on the wrong side of the police car in the 2nd Scenario and Claire speaking to Annette in Ada's voice."

Yea they compressed it but not to the degree that you might've said. I doubt you could compress a game that was 2 discs long into 64MB cart. If they compressed it to a 64MB cart then they would've lost all the FMV's, Voice acting, and several cutscenes.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

HuBBsDoctor wrote:Resident Evil 2 was on a 512MB cart.
As taken from wikipedia.

"Since the N64 uses cartridges instead of discs, several compression techniques had to be used in order to fit all of the game's voice acting and FMV sequences into a 512 MB cartridge...

Yea they compressed it but not to the degree that you might've said. I doubt you could compress a game that was 2 discs long into 64MB cart. If they compressed it to a 64MB cart then they would've lost all the FMV's, Voice acting, and several cutscenes.

I think this was a typo, or the person made a mistake. (Some people are not aware of the difference between MB and Mb.) If there was a commercial 512megabyte game for the N64, I'd be amazed. That'd be a practically exponential jump in cart size.

I note that both GameSpot and IGN list it as 512 megabit, as do sites with N64 technical information (like this one). The technology is out there to compress stuff really well if you're willing to put the effort into it. Also remember with 2 discs, that there tends to a lot of duplication, and you can remove that when you're dealing with one cart.

HuBBsDoctor
Reza Thief

Post by HuBBsDoctor »

I hate the world. Why am I so good at finding misinterpreted information or typos on system and game specs.

Mormon88
Reza Thief

Post by Mormon88 »

Capcom said that Xenosaga 1&2 will have cutscenes, so i don't see why lunar can't have them...

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Because Lunar isn't Xenosaga 1&2. :D

Maybe they could've fit some cutscenes on there, but... there are more ways of telling a story, and more ways that work as well. It just wasn't the developer's cup of tea, I guess.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Xenosaga's cutscenes can barely be called "cutscenes" anyways. They use the actual in-game graphics for them compared to high quality CG scenes. But we'll see what they do for the DS versions.