OMG, I just read that Lunar DS doesn't have any towns...

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
the_importer
Meribian Merchant
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

OMG, I just read that Lunar DS doesn't have any towns...

Post by the_importer »

OMG, I just read that Lunar DS doesn't have any towns, you just walk or run on maps. Can anyone confirm this?

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Totally false. The overworld map is similar to Lunar Legend's map except that instead of moving the cursor around to select a locale, you tap with the stylus. Then, when you enter a town, it looks like this:

http://www.lunar-net.com/ds/screens/old/highres-pk1.jpg

However, when you click on a locale within the town [the fountain in the center, for instance], you go to a screen like this:

http://www.lunar-net.com/ds/screens/images/capt025.jpg

In these secondary screens, you can walk around and talk to townspeople just like in every other Lunar game. The only difference is the interface. They could have just as easily connected all of the secondary screens, but in order to give the cities a greater sense of scope, they included the larger map.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

SSSFan
Red Dragon Priest
Location: in front of my computer, above my keyboard, at the lunarnet forum, in my house etc. etc.

Post by SSSFan »

WHEW! I was scared there for a moment..I mean what should a game like that be without towns :P

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Where did you read this anyways?
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

It's all true. And you know the kicker? There is no Lunar: DS! It's all an elaborate hoax planned b---

Wait a minute, you were even having trouble getting the sarcasm on WD's page. Ignore this. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

the_importer
Meribian Merchant

Post by the_importer »

Kizyr wrote:It's all true. And you know the kicker? There is no Lunar: DS! It's all an elaborate hoax planned b---

Wait a minute, you were even having trouble getting the sarcasm on WD's page. Ignore this. KF

No need to act like a big shot. If you say that's it's sarcasm, that's your opinion. I know your opinion and you know mine, let's leave it at that.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

God, you're an idiot.

Anyway, the stylus is not required to select places on the map; the D-pad works just as well. I don't think anything has required the stylus yet. I've never tried running from battle, so I don't know if there's a way to issue that command without using the microphone.

I should mention that while the overworld (of the whole place, not just the town) looks as if it's as selectable as this, you still have to go through a somewhat large forest to get to other places -- you don't just select where on the map you want to go a la Legend. I imagine there will be an item to let you pick anywhere you've been, but you can't just zip back to your starting point; you still have to go through the monster-infested forest. And while the losing HP while dashing is frustrating initially, in later traversals of the forest it hasn't been so bad as a way of avoiding unwanted battles (which are visible a la SSSC/EBC) since a) your HP is high enough that the penalty isn't that bad and b) there aren't that many screens to traverse between statues.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Alunissage wrote:God, you're an idiot.

Where did this come from? Was someone's post deleted or something? Or am I not reading entirely into the situation?

In other news, the bomb that was supposed to be used to destroy the DS plant failed, leaving some officials wondering "Just what happened?" Or anchor Jennifer has more on the story, Jennifer?

Jennifer: Thank you Alex, in a bizzare turn of events, a bomb that was planted at the DS plant did not go off, leaving officials stunned. Perhapes it was because of poor craftmanship into the bomb, but that ended up being false as police learned that it was a sophisticated nuclear bomb built either by US or Russian scientists. Police are still investigating who planted the bomb and why it did not go off. So far, the only clue as to why did not go off was a sticker hanging off of some cut wirings that said, and I qoute, "LUNAR 4EVER!" This is Jennifer with USUX News, back to you Alex.

Thank you Jennifer. Now for those of you wondering, the DS Plant is where Nintendo's DS gaming system is manufactured before it is shipped to retailers around the world.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Where did this come from? Was someone's post deleted or something? Or am I not reading entirely into the situation?

It's from a previous post under the voice acting thread. Quite honestly, the_importer really is acting like an ignorant idiot.
-G1

the_importer
Meribian Merchant

Post by the_importer »

phyco126 wrote:
Alunissage wrote:God, you're an idiot.

Indeed, I'd like to know this myself. So Alunissage, who's the idiot?

Erasculio
Reza Thief

Replying to clear the confusion...

Post by Erasculio »

the_importer wrote:Indeed, I'd like to know this myself. So Alunissage, who's the idiot?

I believe she means you are the idiot, considering how you missed the rather obvious atempt at self humor on Working Design's page (which you mentioned on this thread), and tried to defend your flawed line of thought with a "it's my opinion", which makes nearly as much sense as saying that you believe the sky is pink, but hey it's your opinion so you may as well think that. And then proceeded to spread a rumor from an unknown source that goes against what has been said about the game for weeks now.

Hope that helps :wink: .

Hey Alunissage, could you answer something for me, please? Does the characters have many magic spells and alikes, or are they limited? In the video previews, for example, the girl who's not Flora is always using the same special attack, but I had the impression that's because the preview was incomplete.

Erasculio

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Well, I still only have Jian and Lucia in my party (I'm a slow player), but so far Jian has no specials at all (maybe he needs them unlocked, like Alex in TSS?) and Lucia has nine spells, three of which she started with. None are attacks, though.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Got it, plus that and I did read that other thread, and I also found it quite funny. More so about WD than anything ^_^

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

SSSFan
Red Dragon Priest
Location: in front of my computer, above my keyboard, at the lunarnet forum, in my house etc. etc.

Post by SSSFan »

I'm a slow player
Well, OR the game is big :D(I like to make good news of things)

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I've been hearing about 30-35 hours for completing the game, although I'm sure it'd be longer if you're muddling through not understanding what any of the characters are saying. That sets it at about the same level as TSS my first time through, or perhaps a little less than SSS.

...and tried to defend your flawed line of thought with a "it's my opinion", which makes nearly as much sense as saying that you believe the sky is pink, but hey it's your opinion so you may as well think that.

wh...what? You mean it's not pink? Well what colour is it where you come from, eh? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

That's a lot longer than Legend for sure though.
-G1

SSSFan
Red Dragon Priest

Post by SSSFan »

how long was LL, then?

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'm pretty sure you could beat Legend in 10 hours without trying too terribly hard, but it's been a while. Definately shorter than the originals or remakes.
-G1

Erasculio
Reza Thief

A lovely shade, in fact

Post by Erasculio »

Kizyr wrote:I've been hearing about 30-35 hours for completing the game, although I'm sure it'd be longer if you're muddling through not understanding what any of the characters are saying. That sets it at about the same level as TSS my first time through, or perhaps a little less than SSS.

Heh, that's good enough for me. I took more than that to beat TSS, considering I kept getting lost in the big overworld map, but that's what it took me to finish EBC. Considering how big that game is, I'm happy with 35 hours.

wh...what? You mean it's not pink? Well what colour is it where you come from, eh? KF

Fuchsia, of course.

Erasculio

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Re: A lovely shade, in fact

Post by DragonmasterDan »

Erasculio wrote:
Kizyr wrote:I've been hearing about 30-35 hours for completing the game, although I'm sure it'd be longer if you're muddling through not understanding what any of the characters are saying. That sets it at about the same level as TSS my first time through, or perhaps a little less than SSS.

Heh, that's good enough for me. I took more than that to beat TSS, considering I kept getting lost in the big overworld map, but that's what it took me to finish EBC. Considering how big that game is, I'm happy with 35 hours.

Fuchsia, of course.

Erasculio

My time on TSS was about 24 hours the first time I played it, SSS about 17 hours, LL, about 13 hours. If you going around looking for everything and talking to everyone its obviously going to take longer. But a straight play through shouldn't take that long.

With EB I spent around 31 hours for the original counting epilogue, 25 or so for the remake.