Few impressions on storyline and characters

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Few impressions on storyline and characters

Post by Kizyr »

I posted a response to someone's questions on GameFAQs regarding opinions on the storyline and characterization. I figured no reason they should just sit on the GameFAQs boards, and the response I gave was after having gotten through about 2/3rds of the game. If anyone's interested, here's what it is:

Characters:
Characterization is decent. It's hard to expect a lot, considering this RPG is shorter than the average for a lot of console games. But there's still decent development for each person.

The Jian-Lucia relationship I think is good, and it's similar in a lot of ways to the relationship between Alex and Luna in TSS. Lucia herself is a bit like Luna, but not as demure and more forceful. Jian I like since he has aspects which are a departure from the typical protagonist. Chief of which, he has a steady job {^^}. But regarding his relationship with Lucia, he's about the same as Alex in TSS/SSS.

Gabryel and Flora don't change too much throughout the course of the story, but more so stay through as supporting Jian in his quest. Flora is all right, but I tend to like Gabryel's dialogue more.

Rufus is probably my favourite character. He does develop in the course of events, and reminds me a lot of Leo from Lunar: EB. Next to that, Zethos, while not a PC, is my favourite. He likewise develops over the course of events in the story, and reminds me of a cross between Mel and Laike from TSS. I think even Liefon, his home city, later on becomes Meribia--but that's just conjecture.

Ignatius is an excellent villain. Perhaps not as good as Ghaleon, but I think he comes close. I can't go into detail or else I'll spoil the entire game.

Story:
The thing I like most about the story so far is that it's not confiningly linear. Like in TSS, you occasionally have to backtrack, revisit towns, explore, and go in different directions. It's not all methodical to where you can talk to everyone in this town, go through a dungeon, talk to everyone in the next town, and repeat on down the line until you reach the end. Though, it probably involves a bit more crossing-the-world than TSS did.

Plus which, it starts out low-key before thrusting you into some save-the-world scenario. I think that gives more of an opportunity to have some kind of connection with the characters--the same way you stay with Alex up until Vane in TSS/SSS when things start getting serious. Since this isn't an epic-length game, however, those kind of turning points and climaxes come sooner.

On top of all that, there's more light shed on the origins of the Vile Tribe, the meaning of being a Dragonmaster, and then some. I'm still about 2/3rds through the game, but the storyline I do thoroughly enjoy. Most of the complaints I've heard elsewhere about the storyline talk about poor, flat characters and an uninteresting plotline. I have to disagree, though.

To summarize, if you liked the original Lunars, you should enjoy this just as well. Just don't expect it to be epic-length or anything. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Spirit Icana
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Spirit Icana »

I'm in it for the Jian-Lucia relationship. I don't need another "end of the world" story to keep me interested.

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

I wanna see how the beast people and humans amalgamated into one inter-living, inter-loving race. And it's cool that you like Zethos and Rufus, because I like them in advance. They're just cool names, as well.

I still think they shouldn't have named her Lucia when we already have one....is it that common of a name?

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I don't think this is so much of an end-the-world plot. I haven't played it obviously, but it's definately not to the extent of Zophar, with destroying the world and all. Even Ghaleon wasn't planning to destroy the world. My best guess is this plot is based heavily around human/beast/Vile relations in the world, and who will end up with dominance.
-G1

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

So you like Rufus the best out of the PCs, huh? :P That makes me happy. He looks cool and I've been hoping he makes a better character than Leo did. (Who was a pretty annoying character IMO)
- Mike

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

You didn't like Leo? He was annoying at first, just because he was a pest to the main party, but I thought he progressed well throughout the game.
-G1

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Well, Rufus is my favourite, but he probably doesn't figure as importantly into the plot as Leo did in EB. Well, he definitely doesn't.

My personal favourite was Mystere. I could relate most to him. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

You didn't like Leo? Well, you HAD to have liked Mystere! I loved him especially for that. Just to know Leo has a non-serious side.

"Are you drunk again, Ronfar?"

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

GhaleonOne wrote:You didn't like Leo? He was annoying at first, just because he was a pest to the main party, but I thought he progressed well throughout the game.

I thought his character developed really well throughout the game, but it was just a feeling of "too little, too late". I had already become really attached to everybody else by the time he decided to change his stripes and come around.

...but like most people I really loved Mystere, yes. :P
- Mike

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Kizyr wrote:Well, Rufus is my favourite, but he probably doesn't figure as importantly into the plot as Leo did in EB. Well, he definitely doesn't.

Oh, boo. :? If he's not too important, then I don't suppose he'll be in the final party. I was hoping for Jian + Rufus + Flora, but I suppose it'll be Jian + Gabryel + Flora if that's the case.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

Katze
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Katze »

Hmm...Kizyr, unless I'm mistaken, you mentioned that Lucia was a bit more forceful and not as demure as Luna, right? I'm suprised...from what I know about Lucia from DS, I figured it to be the opposite. Because Luna isn't exactly wishy-washy....which is a good thing.

And I'm glad to know that the characters are good enough to meet Lunar standards. I really hope that I like this game...oh what the heck, I know I'll like it. I just don't think it will be as good as SSS and EB, but that's perfectly fine.

And about Rufus....do you know how old he is? His age is "???" on the site.

EDIT: I just remembered another question. When the main characters speak, does it show a portrait of them next to their text, like in the other Lunars? And do they have several different facial expressions or just one? Just curious.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Their portraits are above the text box rather than next to it, like MKR or Magic School. I've seen multiple character portraits for people, but not nearly as many as in the other games. Some people didn't seem to have them that I expected to, like Zethos, but I may be misremembering; I know he didn't have one during one conversation but I don't remember whether that's the case throughout.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

During major lines of dialogue, the text box will take up the entire bottom screen. During normal dialogue, though, there's a character portrait above. Most of the NPCs are similar-looking, with some palette swaps (I think there's about 16 or so portraits total, though I might be mistaken), and all the important characters (Peres, Zethos, Ezekiel, Titus Loren, etc.) have their own portraits--not to mention the main characters, of course.

They never give Rufus' age, though if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say late 20s. He's not too old to where he can't change, and still takes some risks. But he's definitely much older than Jian, and old enough to be a respected mercenary. And, just to point out, in EB, Leo was in the final party. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Leo had all the most...interesting quotes as Mystere.

All of his battle quotes save Fang of Justice could be too easily misinterpreted...
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

MISinterpreted? If you misinterpret them, they'll just be decent.

Also, his battle quotes as Leo aren't much better. "Sample my goods!" "Taste my refreshment!" ...I love Leo. :D

Also, if the beast people live in cities, and the humans on farms, why are the beast people so much more tan? Or at least, the three main ones that we know so far. Leo and Jessica were pale as death, but these ones, especially Rufus, are really tan.

You'd think living in comfort would have made them fat and pale and the humans would be all tanny.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Huh? Jessica was pretty dark compared to Mia and Luna. And Leo seems to be a different physical type anyway (not to mention there's been 2000 years of breeding between him and Rufus).

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

Jessica and Gabryel's complexions look pretty darn close to me, and Rufus and Kyle look to have almost the exact same complexion. Then again, Kyle isn't a beastman so..
- Mike

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Alex and Hiro are both fairly dark, as is Jean. I think it's safe to say that there's some skin tone variation in Lunar, if not as much as IRL. But then, hair comes in more interesting colors there. ;)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I always thought the skin tone was more of a tanning thing :P

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Ardekh
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Ardekh »

I don't mean in relation to EB or SS, I just mean in DS that they're tanner, and we know that's not just a natural beastperson thing.