Lunar: Dragon Song review in Nintendo Power

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by drumlord »

Lunar Eclipse wrote:Meh, I think I typically agree with reviews for things like fighting games, racing games, FPS, and, well, pretty much anything that's not a role-playing game. I always find that I like RPGs way more than the reviewers, mainly because I always enjoy little fantasy story-driven excursions. I've absolutely loved plenty of RPGs that've gotten 5's and 6's on sites, so I don't see why Lunar's 7 will be any different, especially given my love of the series.

The reason RPGs tend not to get higher scores is that reviewers tend to look for innovation. RPGs are slower in that regard because the good ones are typically the ones that stick to tried and true gameplay techniques.

Of course, many other genres are festering pretty hard recently too, so you shouldn't see as much of a difference between RPG scores and other scores.
-Rich-

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Also, innovation can bend the wrong way.

Legend of the Dragoon, for example, had a unique additions system.

...rather then deal with it, I shelled out 60,000 gold in a game where the most you can get at once is 600.

It's good to be patient, and all, but...that was nuts.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Jyd3n
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jyd3n »

The main thing is it doesn't really matter how bad a score a game gets. I mean i have plenty of games that got crap for ratings but to me they ar ethe greatest games ever. Lunar is one of those series, tho it did get great ratings, and regardless of how bad or lame they say Dragon Song is or will be it doesn't matter.
I'll still get it and still love it because it is a game that i have liked for a long time.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Jyd3n wrote:I'll still get it and still love it because it is a game that i have liked for a long time.

I think I've said this before, but I'll reserve judgement until I've played it.

Kizyr wrote:Eh, that was a bit disappointing. There are a few places where you can read the books on the shelves, but in no important places. The only 'libraries' you find in the game, you can't read the books.

I was kind of surprised and a little unhappy that Legend wouldn't let me read books in some of the places.

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

No doubt the Lunar DS poster is the same art we've been seeing since three months ago in Nintendo Power? The case art? That art has seriously been WAY overused already... they should have prepared a little more art :?

Spirit Icana
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Spirit Icana »

If Jian and Lucia prove to be lovable characters and the gameplay is bearable, I should be able to dig the title. I love romance. Jean and Lucia already look cute together.

Oh, and my favorite RPG is on the Game Boy Advance --a portable handheld gaming device. I don't consider a 25-30 hr. RPG to be short at all. If the story drags on at any point throughout the gameplay, I would feel that the game is too long. On the other hand, if the RPG storyline can't conclude anything by the time the game ends, with no side-quests to patch things up, then the game is too short. I feel many of the console RPG games have set things ablaze when it comes to linear length and often lack replayability due to such.

I've never played the Lunar series before, but that doesn't stop me from anticipating a prequel from the unknown and unexperimented franchise. I've been aware for a while now that Steve-NP (his username here) was and still is a huge fan of the Lunar series, and as expected, he ended up getting his opinions and views published in this latest issue of Nintendo Power. I respect his views, even though I still have issues with his Riviera review (not the review score) and his opinion here doesn't quite bold well with what I like. I personally don't care for FMV's. They kill a certain feel for me that I haven't bother'd to really interpret yet. I do tend to enjoy art stills, watching in-game cut-scenes, and 'living' the storyline out through raw gameplay (Metroid Prime/Echoes did this successfully, in my opinion).

So with the portable and length not much of a worry for me, and the fact that I have no existing experience with the Lunar series other than how it feels to chat amongst it's lovable fans, my hopes/expectations on the game really falls on:

Uniquiness - how it differs from existing games in general.

Art Direction - how the characters and world look and feel.

Playability - is playing the game a chore?

Storyline - I love romance. Hopefully the Jian and Lucia relationship can draw a little smile on my face.

Music - are the tones rememorable? Do they set the mood for the atmosphere?

Oh, and in other news: as of this post, Lunar: Dragon Song is a day away from shipping to retailers. Joy!

Now for the big question: Will I post here after this week? What, you guys don't care! Somebody, give me back my lost time typing up posts on here!
Last edited by Spirit Icana on Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Er, who is Jean? Did you mean Jian?
-G1

Spirit Icana
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Spirit Icana »

*Fixed*

Yeah! I had forgotten how to spell his name.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

It's definitely unique, and the music is quite lovely. I did enjoy the storyline and didn't find playing it to be a chore at all, but that's a subjective opinion. I figure if those are your criteria--and a quite good set of criteria at that--you shouldn't be disappointed. But, people's tastes do differ, and I can't guarantee anything. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)