About Vane's removal

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

About Vane's removal

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Is anyone else under the impression that Vane isn't, well, entirely absent? It seems to me that the Cathedral of Althena is like a Vane/Goddess Tower hybrid. Everyone keeps calling it the Magic School, and there's even a very similar library there, though nothing's readable. It sort of makes sense that the Magic School at the Cathedral would relocate to the Magic Guild at Vane since the city floats around the Goddess Tower which I assume is the structure around which the Cathedral was built.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Haven't gotten that far yet. It's definately possible.

BTW, I think Searis became Saith, and Perit might have become Burg. They fit the bill.
-G1

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Was this a translation issue by some chance? (Sort of like Weird Woods vs. Thieves' Woods?)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

No, Kiz said Vane's not in it in Genesis either.
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well, wasn't Vane lifted into the skies by Althena's tears to escape the flooding? If so, perhapes this is evident that L:DS took place before a cleansing.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

I was referring to your note about Searis/Saith and Perit/Burg.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Whoops, heh. No clue though. I could have sworn Kiz something about Saith and Searis being similiar, but not the same (indicating it might end up being the same, just with a name change). Doubt it on Perit/Burg though. My guess is, both are just mountain towns and not one in the same. It'd be cool, but I forgot the manga throws a kink in that idea by saying Burg was a new town when Dyne was young.
-G1

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

I have a feeling Vane was originally intended to be part of the scenerio of this game, but was deleted from the scenerio in all likelihood so that the game could be completed on time. I would guess it was positioned to be near Port Olberage or whatever it's called near the Ocean Labratory since that's where people who mention studying magic are. Another obvious tipoff is the listing of Vane on the Dragon Song World page on this site :P

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

There's a patch of forest on Wrick that I could see being the area where Vane is eventually founded. It's the only noticeable landmark, besides the tiny islands, you don't visit in the course of the game.

I was theorizing on the strong similarities between Searis/Perit and Saith/Burg, to the point where I could see how Searis would eventually become Saith. But, it's in a different location than Saith would be (Saith would be closer to where the Barrel Desert is). Also, small villages can crop up and disappear quickly, so while Perit might be in about the same location as Burg, there's not much there to figure that Perit became Burg, particularly when it was founded about 40 years or so before the events of TSS. Liefon is, interestingly enough, in about the same location that Meribia would be. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Here's an odd question: What are the caves at the north of the map called in the English version? In Lunar Genesis the name was ミロード. This is identical to the TSS/SSS Japanese name of Meryod. Very curious.

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

Shiva Indis wrote:Here's an odd question: What are the caves at the north of the map called in the English version? In Lunar Genesis the name was ミロード. This is identical to the TSS/SSS Japanese name of Meryod. Very curious.

They are called the Meryrod Caves (East and West). So they kept the naming scheme for them.

ljonesj
Meribian Merchant

Post by ljonesj »

my thought is that the city and the others along with the cathedral the shape of that continent is actually vane but that is my theory

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

The whole continent of Wrick looks like Vane honestly. I mean I know that isn't really possible considering Vane is a city and Wrick is a rather large body of land. But in EB/EBC when you see Vane it's shapped very very smiliar to Wrick.

Also I'm assuming that after the flood that the lands of Lunar change A LOT because this map looks nothing like TSS, SSSC, or EB/EBC...The place where Burg would be might not even be present yet. Then again the entrance to the White Dragon Cave entrance looks a LOT like the spring in SSSC where Luna and Alex practice for the festival.

The only thing that kind of doesn't work for me is having The Frontier south west instead of north east. At least...I always imagined the Frontier being to the north, does it specify in SSSC? Because in TSS I'm pretty sure it was at least way far east.
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

MiaOne wrote:The only thing that kind of doesn't work for me is having The Frontier south west instead of north east. At least...I always imagined the Frontier being to the north, does it specify in SSSC? Because in TSS I'm pretty sure it was at least way far east.

It's not as far off as you might think... In both TSS and SSSC, the Marius Zone was south of Katarina Zone, and the Stadius Zone was west of the Marius Zone. That means Stadius is far to the southeast of Katarina, separated by a body of water directly between them, and land and mountains if you go by way of Marius.

The Frontier was implied to border Marius somewhere, though since you get there by teleportation, it's not really precise. I imagined that it lay further to the west of Stadius, but I think in Lunar Legend you travel north from Stadius to get there (it would make more sense for it to be further west, considering where the oceans in the Frontier lie).

Then you have to consider how directions are subjective and depend on where you designate north, and where you designate the center. Since Lunar is round, you could conceivably rotate the map to where Caldor is further off to the side and Ghulian now looks like the main continent. I figure the link between them is that Caldor became smaller, and Ghulian grew to become the main continent, with Katarina, Marius, and Stadius all on them. The Frontier would've been either west or east of that, depending on which way you go. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Actually, atleast to me, the exterior of the White Dragon cave in Dragon Song seems by far the most similiar to the one in Lunar Legend.

I always got the impression the Frontier was east or possibly northeast from Stadius, but it's been a while. (The most recent version I've played was Legend, and it wasn't really evident there.) But Kizyr is right, Lunar is round, so there's more than one way to get there.

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

See I thought Lunar was flat :P
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

HAH! See? I told everyone that Japan was East of where I live, but nooooo, who wants to listen to me?

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."