Plot point regarding the Four Dragons [Spoilers]

For discussion of Lunar: Dragon Song (Lunar: Genesis), the only Lunar game on the DS
Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Plot point regarding the Four Dragons [Spoilers]

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

In spite of the spoiler tag in the title, I'll add one here just in case. Last chance!

[spoiler]Anyway, I noticed that the dragons in Dragon Song state that they must be killed in order to release their power for the Dragonmaster. However, if that's the case, then how on earth did Quark manage to get so old? Likewise, he suggests that he administered Dyne's dragon trial. If that were true, wouldn't Quark have died during the Four Heroes' quest? Perhaps Quark created a new method of trial (i.e. obtaining the White Dragon Ring)? That seems like a pretty lame-o excuse, though.[/spoiler]
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

[spoiler] The trials of the Dragons seem to vary by dragon. Quark didn't die administering the trial of the White Dragon to Dyne or Alex. His was a test of cleverness. DS's white dragon, however, administers a test of 'seeing the truth' by lying his ass off to you. Presumably, this is Quark's dad. However...appearances are deceiving! Remember Quark, when he dies, is actually younger then Nall in EBC. Yet Nall looks like a much younger Dragon. Both Red Dragons seem to have the determination test. Though DS's Red Dragon is cooler, in that regard. She's all, "Remember, Jian, you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!" The Blue Dragon really varies. DS's tests your wisdom. SSSC's tests your singing ability/love for Althena. The Black Dragon varies less. 'Facing your own inner evil' vs. 'Finding the purity within.' in SSSC. That last variation was probably a test modification to prevent a repeat of Ignatius. The Dragons DO learn from their mistakes. Ignatius may have been able to defeat his own inner evil, but he'd never have been able to find the purity within. He doesn't HAVE any. By the way. Do we have confirmation on Dragon Genders in DS? In SSSC, there's 3 male, 1 female (Red). In EBC, two male, two female (Red, Black.)[/spoiler]
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Red is definitely female in DS since they say "she". I'm not certain of the others since I haven't exactly visited the Blue and Black yet. ^_^;
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Another response:

[spoiler]I don't think the Red Dragon was lying when she said that as servants of the Dragonmaster, the dragons cannot recognise a rival to the current Dragonmaster. If so, then defeat at the hands of Jian circumvents that rule. Perhaps the only way there can be two Dragonmasters at once is if all the dragons are 'dead'. (Inasmuch as they ever die.)[/spoiler]
「まあいいけど。」

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

[spoiler]I had the impression that it was because the dragons had to act against their dragonmaster to give Jian their power that they faded -- their purpose was to serve the dragonmaster and they couldn't exist if they were no longer supporting Ignatius. Or something of the sort.

And Quark is not necessarily younger than EB Nall; they're probably around the same age, assuming Quark is the replacement after DS's White Dragon fades away; there's a millennium between each installment. The fifteen years Nall lived before Quark's death are trivial, as the thousand years is unlikely to be exact. Actually, I'm pretty much thinking that DS has got to be more than a thousand years previous anyway, no matter what the developers say; there are too many other things that were supposed to happen a thousand years before Lunar 1 that aren't even close to happening in DS, and given the other screwups in DS I'm not seeing it as overruling the other games.

I think I've made this comment before, but the only time we see two dragons of the same color are Nall and Quark, and one of them is very young while the other is decrepit. I'd think the easiest reconciliation of these is that the creation of a new dragon while the previous was still alive took something out of Quark, aging him prematurely. Of course, there's no explanation for why Nall exists if that version of cause-and-effect is used. Though...Nall is usually considered Alex's companion, but he was brought to Alex's family with Luna. Maybe Nall's existence had more to do with her than with Alex.[/spoiler]

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

[spoiler]Quite the Gamble, then, that the Dragons took.
Red Dragon:You've shown yourself to be determined. I'm betting my life on you.
White Dragon:You've shown you can see the truth despite lies, and are worthy of being followed. I'm betting my life on you.
Black Dragon:You've shown that you have mastered your own inner evil. I'm betting my life on you.
Blue Dragon:You've shown wisdom. I'm betting my life and that of the whole world on you, as once I'm gone, Ignatius will be able to FUBAR the world. No pressure, kid.
Jian:Riiiiiight. No pressure.[/spoiler]
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

There's another possible motive...
[spoiler]As the dragons serve the Dragonmaster, if there were two then there would be conflicting loyalties. That much the dragons already pointed out in their dialogue. But that would also imply that if they remained, then Ignatius could've just as well used the dragons against Jian, and vice versa... So, to avoid a 'dragon war', or simply to avoid being abused while still resisting Dragonmaster Ignatius, they had to be defeated and 'killed'.

Their deaths I never quite saw as deaths, though. The dragons are corporeal forms of the magic power which sustains Lunar. So, if one dies then it dies in body, but not necessarily in spirit. Reconciling that with TSS, then, Quark wouldn't be so much as dead as living on in Nall. Though, spending all that time among humans has made Nall much more human-like than Quark ever was, hence the markedly distinct personality.

There's a lot of open-endedness there, and a lot of room for maneuverability.[/spoiler] KF
~Kizyr (they|them)