Gamma version of Lunar: TSS

For discussion of Lunar: The Silver Star, the original game for the Sega CD
JUSTiNB
Meryod Yokel
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Gamma version of Lunar: TSS

Post by JUSTiNB »

Hi, I thought you guys might be interested in this. I've never seen any at all other than this one, but it's a nice piece of Lunar history.
This is a gamma (beta) version of Lunar: The Silver Star.
Sorry that I don't have higher quality pictures, these were taken with my phone.

http://www.justinb-music.net/lunar/SSPX0311.jpg
http://www.justinb-music.net/lunar/SSPX0312.jpg
http://www.justinb-music.net/lunar/SSPX0313.jpg
http://www.justinb-music.net/lunar/SSPX0314.jpg

Front:

LUNAR
THE SILVER STAR

SEGA CD version

10/08/93 Gamma
Not FINAL - contains bugs

Working Designs
18135 Clear Creek Road
Redding, CA 96001
(916) 243-3417

CD:

Lunar
US Version

1993 10/8

T-127015 Disc 7
Working Designs
Game Arts

Back:

Game art in black & white, just printed on regular paper.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Thanks for posting! Sorry I still haven't posted it on LunarNET. (I'm the one you talked to via Email) I need to go back and do a major amount of updates from all the folks who have sent something in lately. This is the cream of the crop though!
-G1

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I was trying to figure out what was on the CD in the third pic. It looked like a bandaid, but then I saw the fourth and realized it was a reflection of a fan. >_<

And it was made on my birthday! Haha!

That's very awesome. How'd you get a hold of it?
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

JUSTiNB
Meryod Yokel

Post by JUSTiNB »

My dad used to review video games for a newspaper and he would often get them free. Sometimes the developers would just send beta copies or "special" versions which were just cheap copies (no fancy labels or anything)

Oh and not a problem about not posting this up yet, I just figured you were really busy :)

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

WOW! That's really cool! Thanks so much for sharing. :D
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

How much? :P

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

That's what went through my head. :P
-G1

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Let the bidding wars begin! :)

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Honestly, you could probably make a killing with that on E-Bay.

Have you actually played through this version yourself? And if so, is there anything about it that's different from the final release?

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Hm, I don't know that you'd find anything THAT interesting. (But it'd still fun to try, anyway.)

Purportedly, a third or so of the original SegaCD game was cut, but I imagine you'd have to find a GameArts beta in order to have a chance to check out some of that.

JUSTiNB
Meryod Yokel

Post by JUSTiNB »

I'm not sure if there are any differences or what the bugs are, I've never completely played through it, and I don't have the retail copy of the game :?

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

DevNall wrote:Purportedly, a third or so of the original SegaCD game was cut, but I imagine you'd have to find a GameArts beta in order to have a chance to check out some of that.

I'm fairly sure that the stuff that was cut was left out because of time constraints, and thus you wouldn't find it on an early version of the game, because it was never programmed in in the first place.

And I'd like to think that the stuff that was left out was put into the PSX remake (Fortress of Althena, Vane vs. Grindery battle, etc).

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

please tell me whoever buys this is going to do the right thing and rip it and put the files onto the net to show the whole community.

lunar is a dead franchise, imo

it should belong to the public...like a national monument.

same goes for any of the lunar pc data...

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

It's not dead. It's like saying FF is a dead franchise and should be free to everyone because they will stop at FFXII. However, they SHOULD make the Lunar Franchise a national monument or something (I'm thinking mount rushmore style monument, but with Alex, Hiro, Luna, and Lucia carved into the stone instead of presidents.)

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

That was just a joke, I doubt JUSTiNB would sell something like that.
-G1

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

ilovemyguitar wrote:I'm fairly sure that the stuff that was cut was left out because of time constraints, and thus you wouldn't find it on an early version of the game, because it was never programmed in in the first place.

Maybe, maybe not. That assumes production never began on them in the first place. If you've ever played Japanese betas of certain other games, you'll sometimes find half-completed areas and things like that. (Of course, you may have to dig around a bit.)

ilovemyguitar wrote:And I'd like to think that the stuff that was left out was put into the PSX remake (Fortress of Althena, Vane vs. Grindery battle, etc).

That's probably atleast partially true, but other things may have been changed between the original design and the remakes.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

A note on that whole "1/3rd being cut out of the game" thing. It wouldn't surprise me, game production is really no different than a movie, and normally huge sections of content are cut out of movies after they where already shot, but because they didn't really fit a specific time lot or because it didn't fit the story, they decided to change it. Also, from the first idea to finished product, but movies and games are similiar in that the content changes.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

When things are cut out from a game, they're typically cut out pre-production. Meaning that parts of the story are cut before any scripts or programming is written. That's at least the way it was with Lunar: DS. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Kizyr wrote:When things are cut out from a game, they're typically cut out pre-production. Meaning that parts of the story are cut before any scripts or programming is written. That's at least the way it was with Lunar: DS. KF

*sigh*

I'm finally forcing myself to play through Lunar: DS now, and it's pretty much killing me knowing all the stuff that was originally planned to go into the game, and seeing what actually made it. (Although the ridiculously terrible battle system kills me even more.)

But I guess there's always stuff that doesn't make it to the final product. Like there's that massive interview with that guy who worked on the original EB (I'm pretty sure it's on this site somewhere), and he listed off a lot of ideas that they'd originally planned to implement with that game, but ended up leaving out for one reason or another, like Ruby appearing in human form, Vane taking flight again, the fake Althena giving birth to Zophar, and other stuff.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Wouldn't make sense for any "cut" stuff to be on this beta, since it's WD's and they would've started with the Japanese final, not some Japanese beta. The US and Japanese versions differ very little in gameplay, so likely the only thing to be learned from this would be earlier versions of text. Which of course would interest me highly, so as I said: how much? :P

There's also no indication that I've ever seen that anything like Althena's Fortress was intended to be in the original game.

Aaron wrote:same goes for any of the lunar pc data...

The Lunar PC game(s) were commercially released and are still findable, so I don't think so. That's just rationalization on your part.