Diff. Versions?

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Story, the remake of Lunar 1 for Saturn/Playstation/PC and all its translations
Blue_Sycro
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Diff. Versions?

Post by Blue_Sycro »

So six years after owning SSSC, I decided to buy the walkthrough (just because one of my friends tells me it's hilarious). Anyway, I'm looking at some of the screenshots, and there's dialogue in the walkthrough's game that is DEFINITELY not in mine. So...are there different versions of SSSC or what? I just thought it was weird...

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

If you're referring to the official strategy guide from Working Designs, I haven't checked, but it's certainly possible that it included screenshots from a pre-release version that hadn't gone through final script edits.

Blue_Sycro
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Blue_Sycro »

Yeah it's the one from Working Designs. But I think my friend has the same version they used in the walkthrough...

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I do recall noticing one change as I followed the guide.

It was when Kyle was talking about Jessica's Ex-Lax cookies. There was a subtle change to it, and I forget what. I'd have to check my guide in order to know what it is.

As far as different versions... what version of disc art do you and your friend have? You can check this: http://www.workingdesigns.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=71296

I have the third disc art thing, for example, and noticed the change as compared to the guide. I'm not sure there was any change to the text between versions (I like Imperial Knight's version of events), but... maybe we missed something. ^^;;
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Did you get the official guide? Prima put out an unofficial one, which used screenshots from the Japanese game, I'm pretty sure (and wildly inconsistent name translations). But things could certainly have changed after the (official) book went to press. In the EBC guide, two crests are listed under different names from the game, because the names were changed after the tables were written up.

Hehe, Sonic, I'm surprised to see that thread linked for disc art (have you had it bookmarked all this time?). It's not complete, though, since that was posted before the Fan Art version came out. Check the site itself for actual pictures; I put the link in some other thread recently.

Blue_Sycro
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Blue_Sycro »

Yeah it's the official one from Working Designs. I have the art with Dyne on Disc 1 and Alex on Disc 2. I'm 99% sure my friend has the same one (I'll have to check). He bought his before I did, but I bought mine used, so I don't know which is older.

One difference that I can think of off the top of my head is when you're in Damon's spire and Kyle makes something out of the clay. In the guide, the screenshot shows Kyle saying something along the lines of "this is the most prestigious toothpick ever". My friend's game says that, but mine not only doesn't say that, but Kyle made a crowbar in my game (it's the same animation sprite, though).

Another little example is when Ramus is attempting to sell the dragon diamond, he says in the screenshot " This is from the butt of Quark" (or something like that), but in my game he says "Quark's keister" (why I remember that of all things, no idea).

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Alunissage wrote:Hehe, Sonic, I'm surprised to see that thread linked for disc art (have you had it bookmarked all this time?). It's not complete, though, since that was posted before the Fan Art version came out. Check the site itself for actual pictures; I put the link in some other thread recently.

Actually, I just ran a search on google yesterday, not knowing exactly where to look for the disc art info. That was the first viable link, and the one person explained it adequately. Then I scrolled down to where you elaborated, and that was an added bonus. :D

I'm not sure what to make of the differences, BlueScyro. Checking my guide... yeah, I remember most of those being different. It would be awesome if you could get screenshots or something of the like, or if someone else had the same thing go on. It's tough to remember specific game text though, and still tougher to notice those subtle differences. >_<
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

http://www.lunar-net.com/sssc/screens/2 ... 381.98.jpg

Just for the record, here's the Kyle crowbar scene. It's in the Damon's Spire Part 1 section on the SSSC screens on the site.
-G1

Blue_Sycro
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Blue_Sycro »

Yeah that's what's in my game. I can't find a screenshot, but the exact words in the screenshot of the guide are "This is the most prestigious toothpick in history!"