Your Lunar 1 Moments

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Story, the remake of Lunar 1 for Saturn/Playstation/PC and all its translations
HyuugaNeji
Meryod Yokel
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Your Lunar 1 Moments

Post by HyuugaNeji »

Both Lunar One and Two affected my childhood, and I remember having some quite memorable moments playing it.
Like how I snuck the PsOne at night just so I could play past my bedtime and hearing that intro song that leaves me in awe, everytime i hear it.
So what are your Lunar Moments? :)

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Your Lunar 1 Moments

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

My most memorable moment was when it was revealed that Ghaleon was the Magic Emperor. So much happened all at once. You learned that someone you revered as being one of the greatest heroes in history was also now one of the greatest villains. He imprisoned Quark, and he even stole from you the love of your life. All of it was so darn shocking, it hit you hard the first time around. I was initially devastated because I loved him as a hero, but as the story unfolded that passed because I loved him as a villain. :twisted:
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I knew Ghaleon was a villain the moment I saw him. And heard him. And watched his movie. Yeah...

So anyway, I would say one of the moments was just the FMVs, the actual voice overs of the in game events, and the fact that the people actually say things in fights when you cast spells and what not.

There where other moments, most specifically the boat song.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Buying 30 bars of soap in Meryod, so I could watch the Women's Spring scene over and over.

Wait, that was Lunar: The Silver Star. They really cheated you in in the remake. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Cheated us in the remake? How?

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

If we're just talking about SSSC, then I'd have to say the reveal of the Fortress of Althena was pretty amazing. Also, the Dark Songstress thing was pretty cool, since it made that whole fetch quest in Pao more relevant. (In fact, all the moments where we got to catch up on what was going on with Luna after her capture were welcome additions.)

ETA:
Cheated us in the remake? How?
In the original you can buy as many bars of soap in Meryod as you want, and go to the womens' spring and see the special cutscene repeatedly. In the remake soap is much harder to come by, plus you have to wrestle your way through a forest of difficult enemies to get to the spring.

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

phyco126 wrote:I knew Ghaleon was a villain the moment I saw him. And heard him. And watched his movie. Yeah...
Well, I probably should have known, but I was young and naive. Who would have thought Ghaleon would betray me like he did. -Sob.- ; ;
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

What amused me the most...my real name is Alex. So every time somebody stood around talking about all the stuff Alex was doing, I kinda felt like /I/ was in the game!
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Two moments, both from TSS, stand out to me. No, three.

1) After Luna is captured, the field music changes, to one of my most favorite pieces of Lunar music. Instead of being fairly cheerful, as it has been, it's serious and determined, yet ends on a high note. This just really signifies the change in mood. SSSC didn't have a comparable change, which I think was unfortunate.

2) The same piece begins at a dramatic moment during Laike's tale of who he really is and what Alex needs to do. The scene is quiet (or maybe has the piano music playing, I forget) and then the determined field music comes in to underline that not only is all not lost, there is actually a lot of hope for things coming out OK. SSSC did have a bit of music in the same sort of scene, the Four Heroes piece from EB, but it didn't have quite the same impact, not only because it's heard nowhere else in the game but because it just doesn't have as dramatic a beginning.

3) Seeing the picture of the Goddess Althena, the one I use as my avatar, in the Goddess Tower. There's just something about the setting up there, the room full of candles, and finally seeing a depiction of the Goddess (no statues in that game!), with the minor harp arpeggios accompanying it, that reinforced that this was THE Goddess Tower, a holy place.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Alunissage wrote: 2) The same piece begins at a dramatic moment during Laike's tale of who he really is and what Alex needs to do. The scene is quiet (or maybe has the piano music playing, I forget) and then the determined field music comes in to underline that not only is all not lost, there is actually a lot of hope for things coming out OK. SSSC did have a bit of music in the same sort of scene, the Four Heroes piece from EB, but it didn't have quite the same impact, not only because it's heard nowhere else in the game but because it just doesn't have as dramatic a beginning.
Funny you mention, as that is my favorite musical piece on my SSSC Soundtrack.

Edit: As for the soap, I still don't see how it is too much of a rip-off. I was able to buy a considerable amount of soap in SSSC, wisked all the evil baddies away with Black Dragon magic, and used the memorizer mirror after that. Mua haha.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Which, Four Heroes? I do, in fact, really like it as a piece, and it's treated nicely in the soundtrack. It's just used so little in SSSC that when I listened to the soundtrack after playing the game I could not remember it at all. If I had played EB first I might have remembered it, although the only time I remember it being played in EB is during Lunn's introduction. But I think it might occur once or twice more in that game.

There's a pretty good arrangement of it on one of the Festa or Parade CDs, by the way. When I heard it it struck me that WD's was pretty much a paraphrase of it, although right now for the life of me I can't remember how that Japanese arrangement went now. It's probably time for me to re-listen to everything.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Alunissage wrote:Which, Four Heroes? I do, in fact, really like it as a piece, and it's treated nicely in the soundtrack. It's just used so little in SSSC that when I listened to the soundtrack after playing the game I could not remember it at all. If I had played EB first I might have remembered it, although the only time I remember it being played in EB is during Lunn's introduction. But I think it might occur once or twice more in that game.

There's a pretty good arrangement of it on one of the Festa or Parade CDs, by the way. When I heard it it struck me that WD's was pretty much a paraphrase of it, although right now for the life of me I can't remember how that Japanese arrangement went now. It's probably time for me to re-listen to everything.
Yes, I'm sorry, the Four Heroes track. I had the same issue as you, when I heard it on the disk I couldn't figure out where in the game I heard it, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. It wasn't until the 3rd time playing that I heard it in that scene with Laike. I was overall disappointed in how short it was. The same piece was put into the L:L game, but far shorter and not of quality (obviously.) You say it was in EB, but is it in EBC? If so, I'm gonna have to blow the dust off my Playstation and play it again. :)

As for the Festa or Parade CDs, lemme know what track it is, I want to listen to how it sounds. :D

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Okay, I found it by accident, as it's one of the few MP3s on my computer. It's Lunatic Parade, track 10. Has an intro that's totally different, though, and doesn't do the same things I was remembering it doing, since rather than going into the variations on the theme it shifts into one of the boss music tracks. So I wonder whether I might STILL be thinking of something else, because I really think I heard something that was like the variations. But maybe I'm just thinking of something else entirely. :P

If you have an epilogue save for EBC with Alex's Ocarina you could look at the tracklist used in the game, right? (Argh, I have a list of Japanese tracknames for the Ocarina, but don't have the fonts installed on this computer and can't read them.)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Correct, would still need to blow the dust off my Playstation and hook it up to a TV, but I have a save point there. :)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Mine was beating the Saline Slimer. And then the Truffle Troubler. The other bosses afterward aren't nearly as memorable until nearly the endgame, but those two... they really were a rite of passage. I'd felt like I'd figured it out.

Of course Ghaleon struck me immediately. First, there's this elf playing an instrument. Then there's the premier. Then there's something strange about how he acts around the magic ceremony in the Blue Spire (right?), and then... oh. That's why. Oh. Wait. No, you can't do that. Noooo!

And I thought (and still think) that Tempest and Fresca are great. ^_^ I wanted to play as Tempest for longer (and as Fresca at all).
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

HyuugaNeji
Meryod Yokel

Post by HyuugaNeji »

Yes! The Saline slimer was a tough one :roll: when that thing died I was so happy. Then came the bronz dogs in the Red Dragon Volcano... I was stuck and had no more healers and had to REDO the whole game. It was only later on when i found out there was a room that restored your health... :cry:

MinisterGhaelon
Meribian Merchant

Post by MinisterGhaelon »

I know this an old thread... so i'll bump it up!

The first time playing lunar started when I was about 7... here are my moments.

1. When Luna was singing on the boat, it was just so beautiful. I kept listening to the soundtrack afterwards.

2. Seeing Quark get owned by Ghaleon was just sad...

3. Getting stuck at Myght's tower. I didn't know how the pattern worked or what i was suppose to do! I was 7 so i kept skipping the text and went on killing things... lol

4. Endless hours of trying to kill Ghaleon at the end. Ugh. I didn't know anything about Dragon Protect back in the days. lol

Lyriel
Lyton Singer

Post by Lyriel »

As far as Silver Star Story goes, there were two pre-release moments that really stick out in my mind.

First was an article in EGM (I think?) from early 1998, highlighting upcoming JRPG releases for the PS1. At that time, I'd been wanting to play Lunar: The Silver Star for nearly four and a half years, but sadly, I never got a hold of a Sega CD (I even had to pass on a CDX I found used for $80 - 1997 dollars, of course). Just the fact that it was coming out for the PS1 thrilled me beyond belief, as I would FINALLY get the chance to experience the world I'd been longing to visit for so long.

Second was in January of 1999. My then-boyfriend had a subscription to one of those PS1 magazines that always came with the demo discs. I saw one of his more recent one had a unplayable demo of L:SSS. I popped the disc into the PS1 and loaded up the demo... which was the Wind's Nocturne cutscene. I was blown away, completely blown away.

I first saw L:SSS on sale at my local mall's Software Etc (now long-gone... after all, really, who goes to the mall anymore? I haven't even been in that particular mall since moving back to my hometown, or any mall since I lived in Albuquerque...). It had just came out days before. I was with my boyfriend at the time, and it was about two and a half weeks before my birthday. I gave him a very obvious hint (singing "Happy Birthday" to myself while holding the game and standing next to him :P). You can guess what happened next. ;)

And of course, when my birthday came, I dug right into the game. It is the first game where I can honestly say I beat it without using a strategy guide of any sort (except for the puzzle in Myght's Tower, but that was WD's fault :P). I cried at the end - I still do. The cut scenes between the final battle and the epilogue are some of the most poignant moments in the entire game. The message was clear - love conquers all.
One must only believe that the Light of Hope will always shine brightly.

lunasinger13
Pao Hunter

Post by lunasinger13 »

I just remember that the first time I walked into the springs in Burg and Luna was singing, I was completely mesmerized, and my eyes were glued to the screen. ^ ^ The entire scene is just so touching and gentle, it always make me feel relaxed when I watch it.

Blueberry Bob
Burg Farmer

Post by Blueberry Bob »

Favorite SSSC moment: Encountering Blueberry Bob in Althena's Shrine who proceeds to seriously welcome you to his home and offer you a slice of blueberry pie.

Favorite TSS moment: At Dyne's Memorial, Ghaleon explaining to Alex how profoundly the loss of Dyne affected him and how bitter he was toward Althena as a result. Ghaleon's motives in the original came off as so much more personal and emotionally-driven, I could feel the long-festering pain of his loss in nearly the same way you feel for Alex when he loses Luna (and his family) shortly thereafter.
"Welcome to my house! Would you kids like some blueberry pie? Fresh baked and dee-lish!"
-Blueberry Bob