We all know GamePro is the worst magazine in history, but...

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Story, the remake of Lunar 1 for Saturn/Playstation/PC and all its translations
Werefrog
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: We all know GamePro is the worst magazine in history, but...

Post by Werefrog »

brightshield wrote:How many topics are their praising a review that was extremely negative towards the series? By my count zero... :roll:
Why would such threads exist here? This is a Lunar message board. We discuss Lunar; we don't critique magazines as a general rule. This thread exists because it sparked a passion in a user. A negative review that is well written would not spark a similar passion because our passion is not gaming "journalism." I don't care about reviews when I feel that they were well thought out and honestly depict the games.

I will say, however, that I always enjoyed the reviews done by the RPG Critic on the old Working Designs. I granted these reviews weren't entirely negative, but I think he did a pretty good job pointing out both the negative and the positive of the remakes.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

To be honest, if a review got a ton of facts wrong, and still gave it a good score, we'd probably still pick the incorrect stuff apart. The fact that the review was negative is even worse. This reviewer's biggest complaint was that EB wasn't remade and packaged with it, when EB's remake had already been announced for a two or three years... There were certainly objective reviews of the game out there for the series that were put together far better than this one. For a professional game magazine, you just can't have those kinds of flat-out errors in a review and get away with it. If you paint a game in a negative light, back it up.
-G1

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

brightshield wrote:You can't substantiate that claim. And I can't see how you would know that. If I were to ever read such a review, then we'd know how I'd react.

Go to Gamefaqs, there's plenty of reviews like that. People constantly try to get well written negative reviews banned, but worship poorly written fanboy reviews. Maybe, I've spent too much time on the Lunar boards on Gamefaqs, but that also seems to be the case here. How many topics are their praising a review that was extremely negative towards the series? By my count zero... :roll:

Although, to be fair I haven't glanced over every single topic so I could be wrong.
GameFAQs is not a game magazine, so that's not a fair example. GameFAQs reviews can be good, but are best taken with a grain of salt. A professional publication or website on the other hand should know better.

Also, we have posted and discussed negative reviews of Lunar: Dragon Song in the past, especially those that have made good points against the game which we agree with.

Anyway, praising a negative review is not the same as picking apart a positive review for getting its facts wrong. In the first case we're making a value judgment based on how we like the game; in the second case, we're criticizing the review's observations. One dispute is based in opinion, the other in the use of facts. In this case, we're criticizing a review for getting its facts wrong and misjudging the game for potential buyers who read the magazine.

Finally, as I said before, the lack of posts to substantiate your claim does not amount to a proof, but rather a lack of evidence either way.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Zalbag
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Zalbag »

Rofl, dude was on crack whoever wrote it.

And by the way I know this is the wrong part of town to post this but...

FFVII rocks man. Don't know what you are talking about Phycho. :)
I carry [Dyne's Sword]

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Nice job resurrecting a nearly year old thread. FF7 is overhyped, but a decent game.

Zalbag
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Zalbag »

Silver Phoenix wrote:Nice job resurrecting a nearly year old thread. FF7 is overhyped, but a decent game.

I wouldn't exactly say Overhyped, I honestly never heard of it when I played it back in 1997, and to this day I still think it's the best storyline in a game ever created. Lunar goes on my #2, but FFVII is just good. I know saying that in here is like being a KKK member at a NAACP meeting, but eh, I liked it.
I carry [Dyne's Sword]

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I'm really sorry you feel that way, really.

Raining51
Saith Pirate

Post by Raining51 »

Oh no! I wouldn't say so myself...