The Twin Dragonmasters

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Story, the remake of Lunar 1 for Saturn/Playstation/PC and all its translations
drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by drumlord »

Didn't they harp on the green eye thing a lot in both versions? So the other people in Alex's group couldn't possibly be Dragonmasters ;)
-Rich-

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Again, I don't remember the green eyes thing in SSSC, but it could be there. I like my theory that Laike started that prophecy/rumor after or around the time he placed Luna with Alex's family and saw that Alex had green eyes.

@segaboy, I don't see why Nash would be a worse personality choice than Kyle in TSS and maybe even in SSSC, where (like Ghaleon) he really thinks he's doing the best thing for Mia. He isn't really power-hungry in those games; maybe you're thinking of Legend?

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Alunissage wrote:Again, I don't remember the green eyes thing in SSSC, but it could be there. I like my theory that Laike started that prophecy/rumor after or around the time he placed Luna with Alex's family and saw that Alex had green eyes.

I don't think Dyne could have spread that rumor. The theory would work except for the fact that Quark also mentions the green eyes thing. I somehow doubt that Quark would mention something like that unless it were a true prophecy and not just something that his former master may have mentioned to him. I could be wrong, but it seems hard to believe that the dragons would be susceptible to hearsay when they're so powerful and wise.

That said, I do agree that even though the green eyes thing is mentioned in SSSC, that doesn't mean that all Dragonmasters have to have green eyes. Quark says something like, "The last time I beheld eyes like that was when I first saw Dyne's shining face." That's really not exactly how it goes, but a lot of people seem to use it as evidence that all Dragonmasters have green eyes. However, neither Dyne nor Laike has green eyes, so I always took it to mean that their eyes both shone with determination and love or something. That's just my opinion, though. I'm kind of hoping that Jian's blue eyes will end up dispelling the whole thing.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Green-eyes thing in SSS:

http://www.lunar-net.com/sssc/screens/3 ... 222.25.jpg

I know there's more. I'm pretty sure there might be another quote there in Lyton, but I believe it's also in Pao and Quark says it too I think.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

OK. I'll replay the game sometime, I promise. :P

I do hate prophecies, though. Both that and Luna's letter in EB bug me quite a bit.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Alunissage wrote:I do hate prophecies, though. Both that and Luna's letter in EB bug me quite a bit.

The green eyes thing doesn't bug me, but I thought Luna's letter was somehow, er, a bit cheap. The hologram was enough since it's reasonable for Althena to know of Lucia and Zophar, but the whole "foreseeing Hiro's quest" thing seems really weird.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I really don't see what the big deal to it is. I think it added to the epilouge's story. But then, I love prophetic stuff.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

segaboy7 wrote:As for everyone else I don't think they wanted to be a dragonmaster, it never mentions that kyle or jessica or mia had a hope to be one. so i really think that has something to do with it, each had their own ambitions for following Alex, but becoming dragonmaster wasn't one of them.

Well, in the novelization, almost everyone wanted to be a Dragonmaster: Alex, Nash, Kyle, and Mia. Jessica joked about the idea, but got serious when Kyle suggested that a woman couldn't be a Dragonmaster. Mia abandoned the idea early on, though. Nash and Kyle still went on and took the trial of the Red Dragon, even. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

That's one thing I managed to pick out from the Lunatic Festa CDs...that Kyle was still talking about "Dragonmaster Killy" in the Red Dragon cave. Really should find out to what extent the novels and drama CDs are parallel sometime.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well, Nash also took the White Dragon Trial in L:L too. They never said that only Alex passed the trial.

As for you hating prophecies, you must have really hated reading Damon's books. Since alot of them tell of the future of SSSC and EBC.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

It's the specificity of it. That Luna could anticipate Lucia's seeing the message in the company of friends and allies...okay, I can marginally accept that. But her knowing Hiro's name is just ridiculous. I don't recall Damon's books being anywhere near so specific and futuristic.

And yes, Nash also took the trial in LL. But that game was made after the novels and drama CDs, and pretty much lifted that beginning straight from them, to the degree of needing to know Quark's/Fidy's name.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Alunissage wrote:It's the specificity of it. That Luna could anticipate Lucia's seeing the message in the company of friends and allies...okay, I can marginally accept that. But her knowing Hiro's name is just ridiculous. I don't recall Damon's books being anywhere near so specific and futuristic.

Yeah. It only mentions "a girl" from the Blue Star. No names are given. Damon's books seem vague and prophetic. Oracles, in my opinion, should be that way so that they're open to interpretation as lore, symbolism, or absolute truth.
Alunissage wrote:And yes, Nash also took the trial in LL. But that game was made after the novels and drama CDs, and pretty much lifted that beginning straight from them, to the degree of needing to know Quark's/Fidy's name.

I think it's cool to have the Alex/Nash competition because it mimics the Dyne/Ghaleon competition which supposedly took place during the adventure of the Four Heroes.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Oracles and prophecies in the video game world tend to work out well and can be as precise as needed. I figure, Damon would nevertheless preferred to keep the prophecies vague to avoid any specific actions being taken.

For instance, if his books said that Alex would become Dragonmaster and defeat Ghaleon, then Ghaleon would've killed him outright when he had the chance. Instead, the prophecies mentioned a green-eyed boy, and the books said the world would be saved by a a boy's shout and girl's love.

...wait, I gotta check that book again, but it was something like that.

Anyway, specific prophecies breed unnecessary conflict, particularly by those who seek to tamper with fate. It's safer to keep them vague, so that only heroes and those pure of heart will interpret them properly. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Alunissage wrote:But her knowing Hiro's name is just ridiculous.

Well, she was a freakin' Goddess. They tend to know things mere mortals can't.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Mmmm, but you forget, she wasn't a goddess anymore. She was nothing more than a mere mortal, and SSSC never showed any sign that she can see into the future. The game did hint that she retained some of Althena's powers, but nothing more than that. I mean, if that was the case, then she would have stayed a Goddess to defeat Zophar (again.)

As for the prophecies....

Damon did have a magic seal on the books, to prevent anyone from reading them.

Damon- "I shall remove the magic seals that prevent them from being read by those who have not impressed me."

And for the books....

"The world will shudder and the sky will darken when magic meets metal. Many innocents will be slain..." - That would obviously be the Grindary and Vane.

"Tiny angels with gossamer wings frolic around a shimmering spring..." - The garden on the grindary with all the fairies.

"The evil which infected the Blue Star now rears its misshappen head in our seren world..." - That's talking about Zophar

"And this evil would delight in once again annihilating the children of Althena." - More about Zophar

"The goddess has tried to destory this great evil, but cannot..." - weeeeeee

"What men know about women" Nall - "Hey, all the pages are blank..."

Anyway, there are tons more of that about Zophar and the Grindary, but it would take way too long to say them all.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Exactly. She was a goddess as compared to humans, but with clearly finite powers. While omniscience and omnipotence don't necessarily go together, it just doesn't seem to fit. I mean, if she could see the future that clearly, wouldn't she have done something about Ghaleon? Etc.

Maybe it was just a spelling problem, though. Perhaps she meant to write "Dear Hero,..." :P

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

From a purely gamer standpoint, having such an exact prophecy is a letdown. If she knows so exactly what is going to happen, how come you can still die and get game over? Clearly she didn't predict that! It's a psychological problem really; you are telling gamers they didn't actually accomplish anything above and beyond what was expected to happen, which is one of the reasons you bury yourself in video games to begin with, to do fantastic things.
-Rich-

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Well, I find it strange that in the holographic section, she says, "I know you must have had the help of many good friends" or something similar. So . . . why wouldn't she name all of them right then and there, or Hiro at the very least? I just always thought the letter seemed tacked on.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Alunissage wrote:Maybe it was just a spelling problem, though. Perhaps she meant to write "Dear Hero,..." :P

Well, I don't rememeber them having any schools in Lunar :P And Vane doesn't count XD

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

The temple of Althena also had classes, of course..the ones Jessica was always cutting.