English script

For discussion of Lunar: Silver Star Story, the remake of Lunar 1 for Saturn/Playstation/PC and all its translations
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

English script

Post by Kizyr »

Hey, so... does anyone have the full English script to the game, or know how to extract it?

I used to know how to do this, and I actually already have the full Japanese script dump. (Plus I know where some other script dumps are for the Sega CD games.) But I'm coming up short on the English scripts for the Playstation games.

...Alun? =D KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Re: English script

Post by Sonic# »

I've tried searching for them in the past, but I've never found it for SSSC. (I think I found them for TSS and EB.)

I got as far as finding a few possible tools for doing the dump myself, but I got swamped with work at that time and didn't continue. Here it is: https://github.com/cebix/psximager
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I don't know of any offhand, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I've only transcribed bits I found particularly interesting though. Of course, if you find something, please let me know. =) Someday I would love to have a table of the Japanese, SSSC, LL, and SSH versions of each line, because I'm ridiculously nerdy like that.

I should note that Artemio Urbina's dumps for the SCD games, while very useful, are not quite complete. I noticed this when I was trying to format the TSS script a little more formally (and track who says what, and when, which is kind of an ambitious undertaking) and was looking at the files with a hex editor. Sometimes some lines got missed by whatever he used. Not many. I only got as far as Saith with that effort and that was years ago, so I can't tell you what was missing. (I know you weren't asking about these, just thought I'd mention.)

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

Barring an actual text dump from the game files, you could do worse than to read a Gamefaqs transcription, I suppose: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197808-lunar ... faqs/62187
aka Maou

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Ah yeah, I need the actual game script file. Hm, I'm actually wondering where or from whom I got the Japanese script file (...I don't always keep track of these things...).

...actually Temzin I could've sworn it was you who sent me the JP text file...? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I'm pretty sure it was me, since I have the SSS Japanese text.

Ms. Tea
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Ms. Tea »

Supper's wdtools repository has a tool to extract text from SSSC on PS1: https://github.com/suppertails66/wdtool ... ss_txt.cpp It'd take a bit of work to get the output in a more convenient format, but it's definitely doable.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Thanks for the link! I'll have to ask my husband to work with me on that one, though it looks pretty straightforward. I can almost understand what's going on there but half a college semester of C 25 years ago is not quite enough. :)

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Alunissage wrote:I'm pretty sure it was me, since I have the SSS Japanese text.
You do? If I had that, it would make it so much easier to test my hypothesis that there is additional dialog in the Blue Dragon Cave in Harmony of Silver Star!

But considering that I've wondered about it for years and never tried to check, and that my PSP makes such horrible noises that I get kicked out of the living room when I run it, I don't want to oversell myself. :mrgreen:
「まあいいけど。」