Official Strategy Guide?

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the remake of Lunar 2 for Saturn/Playstation and all its translations
Mattroid
Lann Fisherman
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Official Strategy Guide?

Post by Mattroid »

Hi all. First post. Nice to see there's a huge group of Lunar fans like myself. I've had them all (minus import only titles) from the original on Sega CD, but I'm still missing bits here and there to complete my collection.

Anyway, one thing I never picked up back in the day was the Eternal Blue Complete official guide. Now that I go looking for it, it must be the most rare out of the Sega CD/PlayStation guides since they seem to range around $100 on ebay for a sealed copy.

Hard to believe that the old Sega CD books can be had much easier and for less than one that only printed about 5 years ago :P

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knew of a place I may be able to find one for a bit less than the usual on ebay. I've been searching at used stores in town, but have had no luck so far. I've even contacted a few online stores that try to track stuff like this down, but I've not had any luck that route, either.

Wish I'd just picked it up back then rather than kept telling myself, "oh, I can get it later, I can get it later..."

Famous last words...

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Have you tried Amazon or Barnes & nobles?

I remember I wanted the book, but when I went to the website the book was sold out. So I sent an email to WD and asked if they had any left and they did, so I took their advice and called them and ordered it :P So I almost missed my chance to get it.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Mattroid
Lann Fisherman

Post by Mattroid »

I have. Amazon doesn't even seem to have a page for it anymore. They have one for the Sega CD guide, though. I haven't been able to call up all the B&Ns around town and ask them all if they have any...but I'd doubt it. Too bad WD had to go under...it's quite a shame.

I know just as of a year or so ago, I saw a copy at a local Gamestop and I ALMOST picked it up...I really wish I had now.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I'd be very surprised if any "new" bookstores carried it. Your best bet is either Gamestops with loads of used merchandise, anime / videogame conventions, and eBay. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Mattroid
Lann Fisherman

Post by Mattroid »

Exactly my thoughts. I'm going to be working at A-Kon in a couple weeks, so I'll be sure to check there. However, I can't think of ever seeing a copy at any of the cons down here (texas).

Zalbag
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Zalbag »

I live in Round Rock TX :p

I got the official guide, sadly I am not selling it, if I see one I'll pass it your way :D

Mattroid
Lann Fisherman

Post by Mattroid »

Awesome, please do.

I know there's bound to be a few places around that still have it. And it's not even that I wouldn't pay $50+ for it (like on ebay), IF I knew that Working Designs or any of the other people involved with the game was actually going to see that money. But no, that money is all going to some kid in his parent's basement.

Just seems wrong. But I'd gladly hand over that money to a former WD crew member for a copy :)

Mattroid
Lann Fisherman

Post by Mattroid »

Actually, can someone confirm something for me? Does this guide have a dust jacket or not? I can't remember myself, but I seem to remember it did. The pics I find online are sometimes difficult to tell. If so, is the cover art on just the jacket, or is it printed on the binding as well?

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

The strategy guide is a hardcover with a reversable dust jacket with different artwork on each side. There's no artwork on the cover itself, just the Lunar 2 logo.

It's hard to find both because of its age and because few copies were ever produced.

Mattroid
Lann Fisherman

Post by Mattroid »

How much was the cover price. Come to think of it, if the paperback one for SSSC was around $20 or $25 (if I remember correctly), then I'd assume the second one (being hardback and many more pages) would be at least $10 more.

Perhaps around $50-$60 isn't too bad a price considering everything.

I see them go for about $100 sealed on ebay, though.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I think the cover price was about $40.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

It was either $24.99 or $19.99, I forget which. Think SSSC's and VB's were $14.99.

Zalbag
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Zalbag »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Strategy-Guide-Luna ... dZViewItem

Recently found this, hope this might help :o

Mag
Lostest Boy

Post by Mag »

I remember having both SSSC and the EBC guides. The SSSC guide wasn't a problem for me to get, but I remember waiting a full year after the game had come out(and many,many phonecalls to Gamestop) for the EBC guide to come out. The EBC guide was awesome, it was hardback with good binding on it.

Sadly, less than six months after I got the guide, my house burned down. Along with losing the guides to severe water damage, both of my original Lunar Posters(Sega CD ones) were lost. A very sad state of affairs indeed.

Oh, and far as pricing goes, I want to say the SSSC was $15/$20 and I'm pretty sure the EBC was $25.
WD isn't really out of business, it's just sleeping. Yeah, that's it. Sleeping...

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

EBC's guide was $19.95, I just checked.