Neo Vane

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the remake of Lunar 2 for Saturn/Playstation and all its translations
Angelalex242
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Neo Vane

Post by Angelalex242 »

Something just occurred to me.

As I replayed this game, I notice the device in Neo Vane separates the magicless from those who have magic.

In the magic group:Hiro, Lucia, Lemina
In the nonmagic group:Ronfar, Jean

I get Jean...but Ronfar's a priest with a truckload of healing magic. How did the magic tester miss the whole 'hey, I can heal' thing?
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

captaindax
Red Dragon Priest

Re: Neo Vane

Post by captaindax »

Maybe Ronfar's healing abilities don't count as magic for some reason? Maybe it only recognizes magic that isn't passive. Though I'm not sure why it would be set to do that....you raise an interesting question!
I - am that is

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I've had two nonexclusive thoughts about this. One is that it primarily recognizes elemental magic, or even primarily battle magic. The other is that it recognizes "inherent" magic, as opposed to priestly magic that calls on the Goddess's powers. Jessica (and Kyle, of course) wouldn't get into Neo-Vane either, and nor would SSSC Alex (but TSS Alex would). SSSC Tempest might (weak, but usable wind magic), but TSS Tempest wouldn't.

One of my many longrunning and ridiculous projects has been cataloguing, comparing, and categorizing the various spells in Lunar. After you've spent hours typing up things like "fire 1E/EZ/AE" the distinction between Ronfar's magic and that of Hiro and Lemina seems pretty obvious.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

He's a priest, not a prestidigitator!

Divine magic is distinct from the type of magic that Hiro, Lemina, and Lucia can wield. Ronfar's priestly abilities are basically his ability to call upon Althena's power for help.

Interestingly enough, the Lemina side-story explains part of this distinction. Lemina has a tag-along 13-year old priest-in-training named Tio that isn't so good with magic, but is pretty good with healing. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Well...

Lucia registers as 'Althena Jr' and Althena herself definitely qualifies as divine magic.

How is Ronfar's power so different from Lucia's?

Ronfar calls on the power of the Goddess, Lucia IS a goddess.

Maybe the magic tester was programmed to 'eliminate the middleman' when it comes to divine power. This line of thought seems to support the idea of it looking for inherent magic.

For Lucia and Althena, divine magic is inherent. For all the priests, it isn't.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Angelalex242 wrote:For Lucia and Althena, divine magic is inherent. For all the priests, it isn't.
Yes, that's basically it. Lucia's "divine power" is typically her own power. Ronfar has no divine magic or significant magic power of his own, but uses his abilities to summon or draw upon Althena's power. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Somewhere in a room sit two guys discussing a story or game they're making and this is said.

"That part doesn't make sense? It doesn't have to! The fans will MAKE IT make sense!"

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Angelalex242 wrote:Well...

Lucia registers as 'Althena Jr' and Althena herself definitely qualifies as divine magic.

How is Ronfar's power so different from Lucia's?

Ronfar calls on the power of the Goddess, Lucia IS a goddess.

Maybe the magic tester was programmed to 'eliminate the middleman' when it comes to divine power. This line of thought seems to support the idea of it looking for inherent magic.

For Lucia and Althena, divine magic is inherent. For all the priests, it isn't.
Alternatively,
This is because Lucia really isn't a goddess, she's a powerful magic user of ROYAL lineage, a princess who was put in charge of waiting until the revival of her kingdom on the Blue Star. The Manga, which has stated to the contrary and which Kizyr preaches so hard about, is just Manga-Writer-Crack that all manga writers do to be edgy when they're desperate and run out of ideas. See most any other manga for proof of the "OMG I DUNNO WHAT TO DO NOW LETS JUST PUT GOD EVERYWHERE" phenomena.
Last edited by Jenner on Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

The manga says one thing, Jenner says something else. What the manga says is consistent with the games.

Of course this means that we should ignore the manga because Jenner knows everything.
Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:"That part doesn't make sense? It doesn't have to! The fans will MAKE IT make sense!"
Incidentally, that's basically what Kei Shigema has said before. Not that the original stories don't make sense, but that he enjoys letting fans speculate rather than giving exact answers to everything. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Kizyr wrote:The manga says one thing, Jenner says something else. What the manga says is consistent with the games.

Of course this means that we should ignore the manga because Jenner knows everything.
Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:"That part doesn't make sense? It doesn't have to! The fans will MAKE IT make sense!"
Incidentally, that's basically what Kei Shigema has said before. Not that the original stories don't make sense, but that he enjoys letting fans speculate rather than giving exact answers to everything. KF
I don't pretend to know everything, just certain things.
I'll bicker about this later, I'm lazy today :P
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.