Lunar 2 concept art

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the remake of Lunar 2 for Saturn/Playstation and all its translations
MakoAoyama
Meryod Yokel
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lunar 2 concept art

Post by MakoAoyama »

Hey guys! Been lurking for a long time and never really had anything to post. I found this last night and decided it was time to make an account on the boards, since I figured someone here would like to see this.

http://forums.lostlevels.org/viewtopic.php?t=1747

I searched the main site and the boards and didn't find anything about this(I could just be blind, though). Mods, feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place.

I think it would have been interesting to see Lunar 2 had it been set just after the first one, with Alex and the gang returning. Seems like that might have been the original plan for the second game.

It makes me wonder about some of the characters from the final game. It's possible that in the development stage, some of the current characters had different backstories. Like maybe Lemina was planned to be Mia's daughter(she does look like her), as an example.

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: Lunar 2 concept art

Post by Alunissage »

Eh, we've talked about that several times over the years. The sketches are from the Lunar I+II artbook, so they're not all that obscure. It's pretty well known that Lunar II was originally planned to be a direct sequel to Lunar I and include the Lunar I cast, but that was scrapped early on. The interviews from the artbook (translations of which are posted on the site) talk about it a bit. Perhaps we should add scans of the pages that the interviews are on, for context.

I get the impression the person who posted the scans in the thread to which you linked was more interested in being snarky than being right. That's not the only sketch of an adult Alex, for example, and there are several silly ones of the girls singing or wearing swimsuits that are unlikely to be significant rather than simply humorous doodles. The pic of Kyle and Jess is part of a multi-panel segment, as I recall. I suppose that could have been a possible scene.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Looking at the drawings again though, I never actually paid enough attention to the artbook in the past to realize just how similiar Luna's clothing in here actually is to Lucia's post-Blue Star outfit.

And yeah, I really should get some scans on the site. I've meant to do that for years. I've always been on the fence on how much to include though. I obviously don't want to put the entire artbook up, but perhaps 10-15 of these kinds of sketches?
-G1

MakoAoyama
Meryod Yokel

Post by MakoAoyama »

I figured it was in an art book somewhere. I'm sure I'm not the only one who hasn't seen it, though.

I'd like to see more actually, so that's not a bad idea to post some scans on the site if you get time.

I wonder what changed their minds on making it a direct sequel? Has anyone ever translated the Japanese text inside the art books to see if they said anything about what made them go in the direction they did?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

MakoAoyama wrote:I wonder what changed their minds on making it a direct sequel? Has anyone ever translated the Japanese text inside the art books to see if they said anything about what made them go in the direction they did?
As I said above, translations of the artbook interviews (which contain this information) are on the site, found by clicking on "Interviews" in the sidebar. The relevant one is here: http://lunar-net.com/interviews/lunaripii4.php

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

They weren't meant to be sketches from a sequel. They were meant to be shots of what the characters did after the events of the game. Like the "10 years later" part at the end of the Harry Potter series.

It says that much in the captions and comments. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Kizyr wrote:They weren't meant to be sketches from a sequel. They were meant to be shots of what the characters did after the events of the game. Like the "10 years later" part at the end of the Harry Potter series.

That's what I was thinking. Though I do remember an interview or something stating the game was initially supposed to be set with Lunar 1 characters. It was in an old magazine, which had screens at one point if I remember correctly. I need to dig that up. I'm moving next month anyways, so I'll go through those magazines and try and scan it.
-G1

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Kizyr wrote:They weren't meant to be sketches from a sequel. They were meant to be shots of what the characters did after the events of the game. Like the "10 years later" part at the end of the Harry Potter series.

>.> ... except it's not horrible, right?

There was talk that the original concept for Lunar: Eternal Blue was that the main characters would be the children of the original cast of Lunar: TSS before they decided on moving it forward 2000 years and making it awesome.

So it makes sense that they LOOK like the characters of Silver Star or maybe even ARE the characters of Silver Star.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

The bit about Lunar 2 originally being planned to be a direct sequel is in the page I linked above. >_>

There are two things being conflated here. 1) The sketches are of the Lunar 1 cast a bit older. 2) Lunar 2 was originally planned to include Lunar 1 characters. Those aren't necessarily connected. I don't know if there's enough information in the notes to say definitively if the sketches were made before or after the decision to set Lunar 2 centuries after Lunar 1. Nor, really, does it matter.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Alunissage wrote:Nor, really, does it matter.
Tell that to my impending nerd rage. :P

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

GhaleonOne wrote:That's what I was thinking. Though I do remember an interview or something stating the game was initially supposed to be set with Lunar 1 characters.
What Alunissage said. That interview is on the site!

All I wanted to point out was that the sketches in the artbook were not meant to be sketches for a possible Lunar 2, just sketches of what the cast would look like years after the events of the first game. The part about very old plans for Lunar 2 to involve the Lunar 1 cast in any way is separate from and unrelated to those sketches. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

MakoAoyama
Meryod Yokel

Post by MakoAoyama »

Kizyr wrote: All I wanted to point out was that the sketches in the artbook were not meant to be sketches for a possible Lunar 2, just sketches of what the cast would look like years after the events of the first game. KF
That still doesn't explain why the images with Luna and Alex and the one with Mia from the link I provided have "LUNAR II" clearly written on them plain as day. Obviously, those sketches were meant for something related to Lunar 2, even if it was for a short time.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Kizyr wrote:
GhaleonOne wrote:That's what I was thinking. Though I do remember an interview or something stating the game was initially supposed to be set with Lunar 1 characters.
What Alunissage said. That interview is on the site!

All I wanted to point out was that the sketches in the artbook were not meant to be sketches for a possible Lunar 2, just sketches of what the cast would look like years after the events of the first game. The part about very old plans for Lunar 2 to involve the Lunar 1 cast in any way is separate from and unrelated to those sketches. KF
I worded that bad. What I meant to say is that there was an old magazine from way back before Lunar II was even released in Japan that had some screenshots claiming it to be Alex and co. back for part 2. I knew about the stuff on the site already (I'm the one that put it up).
-G1

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

GhaleonOne wrote: And yeah, I really should get some scans on the site. I've meant to do that for years. I've always been on the fence on how much to include though. I obviously don't want to put the entire artbook up, but perhaps 10-15 of these kinds of sketches?
I hope you put up some scans from the artbook, iv been dying to see stuff from the artbook.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

MakoAoyama wrote:
Kizyr wrote: All I wanted to point out was that the sketches in the artbook were not meant to be sketches for a possible Lunar 2, just sketches of what the cast would look like years after the events of the first game. KF
That still doesn't explain why the images with Luna and Alex and the one with Mia from the link I provided have "LUNAR II" clearly written on them plain as day. Obviously, those sketches were meant for something related to Lunar 2, even if it was for a short time.
It says "Lunar II (仮)", meaning something like "Lunar II (joking/not-serious)".
Sorry, these sketches were very unlikely to have been meant as an actual plan for Lunar 2. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)