If Eternal Blue is remade for PSP...

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the remake of Lunar 2 for Saturn/Playstation and all its translations
Angelalex242
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: If Eternal Blue is remade for PSP...

Post by Angelalex242 »

Interesting. I hadn't noticed that story before. It's...highly amusing. I wish I'd known about it sooner. It would've made certain things more interesting.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Zhane Masaki
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Zhane Masaki »

I've got a few ideas to make a PSP remake worthwhile for everyone. Bear with me, its gonna be a LONG post.

First and most important, honor the legacy of the Lemina Bug by including all of the weapons and armor obtainable only by that method in the game for the first time. Yes, this means a legitimate in-game method to get the Dark Scimitar. My idea is for each item to be obtained by special boss battles, or as treasures in a new, PSP-exclusive bonus dungeon (see the Protector Cave concept in LUNAR Legend.) Also, rename some of the weapons, such as Ghaleon's Sword being restored to "Garushion".
GhaleonOne wrote:Plus, I want 3-orb tough as nails Borgan back, and definitely the Hiro-crystalization scene. And I think I liked the old Azado better than the remake Azado.
Shiva Indis wrote:Tough Borgan? Definitely. The other two I'm not sure about. While crystallized Hiro drove the point home better plot-wise, it was probably cut because it's a hassle for the player. Even though I missed it I can understand why the developers would leave it out. And I think the Azado scenario should be redone again. Both versions are weird. Mix and match elements of the two and I think we'd get a winner.
Second, restore the toughness of the gameplay, but leave the Magic Experience system completely out of the picture. That frustrated the hell out of too many Sega CD players to EVER be restored.
Shiva Indis wrote:Top of my wishlist is the return of Ghaleon's second theme. And I want new animation where the CG isn't crappy and the characters don't look like they have fetal alcohol syndrome. :P
The third thing I want to see is the scores from both the Sega CD version and the Saturn/PlayStation remake combined to form one definitive musical experience...and we MUST be able to hear ALL the tracks in the music test (which may have an access method similar to how we get it in SSH).
Silver Phoenix wrote:G1, you're also forgetting the Lucia bondage cinema which was such a treat for the Sega CD Eternal Blue and was sorely missed in the remake.
Fourth, restore the anime scenes cut from the remake and update them to PlayStation 1-quality animation standards.
Aaron wrote:If Eternal Blue were remade for PSP I think it's fair to say the Epilogue will be a bit longer. What do Lucia and Hiro do?!

Maybe they could put in some game play during the time on the Blue Star when Althena had to white wash everything. That would be interesting.

I would also like Lucia's character to be more explained. A lot of who she is becomes assumption because nothing is really nailed down about the reason for her existence. I would like to see her origins.

I hope that they would show a little more back story between Ronfar, Leo, and Mauri, so that when Ronfar betrays his friend the emotional impact is stronger.

Maybe there could be more character development of the Black and Blue dragons. Maybe Lunn's character and organization can seem like it actually does something other then kidnap kids. I really felt let down and thought he was such a wimpy bad guy. Same with Borgon, what was his goal? Build Neo Vane so he could bed Lemina's mom? I mean really, thats why Ghaleon and Zophar was such bad asses when it came to evil.

I stated previously somewhere else that I would like to know why there are teleportation towers between Lunar and the Blue Star. I would like to see their construction explained. Because when you think about it, nothing adds up...Why would you build it if you knew the Blue Star was destroyed? It'd couldn't have been built before the Blue Star being destroyed because Lunar was a dead world. So many questions. Also if Althena killed the Blue Star why does Lucia have her crystal lair thing.

Anyway there are a lot of things that could be cleared up. But I think part of the glamor is looking past that stuff because the characters and story are just so great.
Fifth, the suggestion Aaron had for more backstory, like they did with the Four Heroes. And perhaps an animated OVA that shows the war on the Blue Star and how Zophar's invasion forced Althena to act. (CAPCOM used a similar idea with a one-episode OVA prologue included in "Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X".)

And finally, references to all the LUNAR games, especially Magic School LUNAR!. This should be the final definitive remake.
Also an expert on the Phantasy Star tetralogy, Ys, Star Ocean, Dirty Pair, and most things Universal Century Gundam

Visit My Backloggery to keep up on my gaming exploits!

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I can't imagine the Magic Experience thing frustrating people, unless you mean the paying for saves thing that WD added (which wasn't that bad anyway considering it was only 15x Hiro's level and the amount of M enemies dropped went up way faster than that -- and there were checkpoints in the game anyway so even if you couldn't stand to spend the M to save you wouldn't be in that bad shape). A Japanese remake would be unlikely to put that in. Powering up different classes of magic was awesome. WD also increased the cost of some spells, and I think that was reasonable; Tranquil Litany was absurdly cheap in the MegaCD game. It would be nice for Red Dragon Anger to actually be worth 99 MP, though.

I'm not seeing the weapon naming thing as being that big of a deal, but there should not be two sets of "Dyne's Armor" in the game, as there is in EBC. It'd also be nice to have the Flame Fist actually equippable, since we seem to be talking more about the SegaCD game.

I completely disagree with almost everyting Aaron said about more backstory. For the Raculi folk yes, and maybe Lunn's group, though all that's needed about that really is just a line or two more about the evil scary assassins that are terrorizing XYZ. But the thing about the towers and Lucia's origins... not needed. I also don't favor an OVA at all, because those tend to be voiced and the potential for screwing up voices is far too high. Ideally the game should have no voices at all. :P

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Alunissage wrote:Ideally the game should have no voices at all. :P
Old-school. Hardcore. Awesome. :mrgreen:

And I agree generally (that's probably not surprising). MEXP was a pain, but only because it was tied into saving. I think it's rewarding otherwise. And I think I know about as much as I want to know about what the characters did preceding and following the game.

On the other hand, that reminds me that there's a column about Ronfar's past in the Lunar 1 & 2 artbook I've been meaning to translate.
「まあいいけど。」

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Boo. More Lucia is always better.

Ahem. For some of us.

But yeah. I'd like to see backstory...particularly because I recall somewhere that Lucia never met Althena. Now. There's only 3 deities in Lunarverse. How the heck does Lucia spend eternity never meeting the only other good deity?
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I'm with Alun on this. I really liked the MEXP system--the customizability of your magic focuses was a really fun aspect. Not to mention certain story-related elements got tied in: the trick to getting through the Haunted Mansion was to power up your wind, and the trick to defeating Lunn was to rely on your power of dance.

The MEXP-use to save was, I think, all that frustrated most people, and nothing would be lost by eliminating that altogether. The MP cost for certain spells (especially Ronfar's last all-heal spell) could be kept at the Japanese game's level, too.

Otherwise, I like all the other ideas Zhane listed. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Angelalex242 wrote:But yeah. I'd like to see backstory...particularly because I recall somewhere that Lucia never met Althena. Now. There's only 3 deities in Lunarverse. How the heck does Lucia spend eternity never meeting the only other good deity?
It's in the Lunar 2 novelization, written by the same person whose short stories you recently read. Lucia says at one point that she had never met Althena. Personally, I didn't like this bit because it didn't fit too well with what crumbs have been said about their relationship in the Hasukawa interview -- that they were almost sisters, and that early drafts of EB had a second, empty crystal in the tower on the Blue Star, where Althena would have been had she not gone to Lunar. That certainly suggests to me that they were not envisioned as being strangers.

Siazair
Student of Vane

Post by Siazair »

Just because she never met Althena, doesn't mean she didn't know Althena? Isn't is possible, given her ability to detect who Althena is, that they might know each other on a differant level.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

It is a bit out of place, isn't it?

That's the trouble when people don't keep their stories straight in their heads.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

In this case there were quite a few people involved in the story...the scenario writer, the person who gave the interview, and the person who wrote the novels are all different people. The manga was by yet another person too.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Well...they put a 4 heroes scenario into the new Lunar 1 remake. Perhaps they'll put a Blue Star war vs. Zophar sequence into Eternal Blue remake. It'd be sweet if we had a two person party of Althena and Lucia taking on monsters and such. Maybe even 3 person if we throw in Althena's first Dragonmaster.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I think the scenario writers could come up with more elements regarding the Black Star, and whether just the Five Princes come from there or Zophar as well. A post apocalyptic battle on the Blue Star would make for an exciting opening, and then you see Lucia sealed inside of the shrine.

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

I assume it has to do with the novels... what's the Black Star? Five Princes? XD

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

ShindoW wrote:I assume it has to do with the novels... what's the Black Star? Five Princes? XD
What? Those are new tidbits for Silver Star Harmony.
...maybe no more should be said along these lines. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Point is, let's see Althena, Lucia, and (maybe) first DM kick some ass before the Blue Star gets nuked.

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

Angelalex242 wrote:Point is, let's see Althena, Lucia, and (maybe) first DM kick some ass before the Blue Star gets nuked.
I would totally be all for that opening. :P

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **