Needing some technical assistance... **SOLVED**

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the remake of Lunar 2 for Saturn/Playstation and all its translations
captaindax
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Needing some technical assistance... **SOLVED**

Post by captaindax »

SOLVED! It looks like this

First 2 Bytes - What the item is in it's category, at intervals of 24h (that's 36 decimal)
Last 2 Bytes - The Item's Category (Sword,Dagger etc)
The two bytes after this are always the same no matter what

Should be a cinch now to figure out the rest, I wonder if there are any other hidden spells/items/weapons I can find?

Very Excited! :lol:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Everyone

I know I haven't been around...at all for a long time but college and work eat up a lot. I've got things pretty balanced now and decided to take up a project in my free time. I'm working on writing a save game editor for Lunar 2 EBC.

I've made some good progress in finding and cataloging which bytes do what, but I've hit a bit of a snag and I was hoping someone could shed some light on it.

Each character has 20 spell slots, and I found them just fine, but I can't seem to get a pattern down on how they're coded here. Each spell takes up four bytes of space for some reason. And changing these bytes causes some weird -Dragon Diamond- to happen. For example I've started a new game, made a save, and been working with it. I can see Hiro's Boomerang spell is A2-38-08-80. All the other slots are set to 0C-33-08-80 which is blank. I can duplicate his Boomerang spell by changing the blank spells to match A2-38-08-80 but I can't figure out the pattern here. If I change either of the two first bytes it results in some weird effects.

If I increase the second byte by one, it turns into a sleep spell with no icon. Changing the first and second values to different things always results in something strange. Changing the end values has so far caused the game to hang when going to the magic screen. At one point I had a spell with the empty equipped weapon icon even. Is there anyone here who can maybe shed some light on why the spell slots are four bytes long, what the last two bytes do, and how this all works?

Thanks!

P.S.

If anyone has a memory card file or psv save with all the characters in the party with all their spells that'd help tremendously :P
Last edited by captaindax on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I - am that is

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: Needing some technical assistance...

Post by Kizyr »

I can't really help you here, since I'm no expert on save state hacking. But, this sounds a lot like the issue that led to the Lemina Bug and the discovery of the Dark Scimitar: messing around with the bytes in the sectors that store magic and items. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

captaindax
Red Dragon Priest

Re: Needing some technical assistance...

Post by captaindax »

Yeah, I should be able to make a save state editor that lets you select whatever you want for each characters Stats/weapons/armor/accessories as well as who's in the party and tons of other fun stuff :). I've gone a bit further and gotten my hands on a end of game save state. It looks like the last two bytes never change for the spells and are always 0880.

Also there are only Seven spots for character data. But we have:

Hiro/Gwen/Lucia/Ronfar/Jean/Lemina/Leo/Mystere

Although I suppose Leo/Mystere can share a slot easily enough....

Only the first two bytes seem to really change the spell data, I'm pretty familiar with ROM and Savestate hacking but it baffles me why it needs so much space for designating individual spells...unless there are more than 255 spells in the game? That'd make sense for two bytes.

Not that weird stuff isn't common here, Almost all the stats are three bytes and read in reverse order (despite the fact some of them, such as Attacks, won't go above 15 no matter what you set them to).

P.S.

I found the Equipment section as well, and it's a similar setup. Four bytes, the first two are the only ones that change, and I can't make sense of how they operate.

After doing a bit of thinking I have a sneaky suspicion that the item and spell icon/description/cost/effect are controlled by individual bits or sets of bits.

**UPDATE**

It seems I found a common factor. Of the four bytes two never change, so discounting those and looking at the first two, the second byte seems to indicate the type of weapon. AE = Swords, AC = Daggers. I can't seem to figure out how the first byte works however in choosing, by changing it I've made different weapons in that category be listed and their effects shown, but no icon displays. Also unequipping them makes them vanish.
I - am that is