Hiro's Beast Heritage?

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the remake of Lunar 2 for Saturn/Playstation and all its translations
Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Hiro's Beast Heritage?

Post by Arlia »

You know, his grandpa is like a beast man. I can't remember if it's actually mentioned Gwynn (<-Spelling?) being his real grandfather or not, but still. And are his green tatoos part of a beast thing?

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: Hiro's Beast Heritage?

Post by Kizyr »

There's some speculation in different directions--not a lot of it has been officially backed up, though.

My own theory is that Hiro has some Vile Tribe lineage. That would contribute to having some tattoos (note how Xenobia, Phacia, Royce, Memphis [Magical School Lunar], and several people in the Vane manga have similar markings), and it would contribute to his natural talent for magic.

There are also theories that Hiro is at least one-quarter beastman. It's never said whether Gwyn is Hiro's biological or adoptive grandfather--I really think that the resources available wouldn't contradict either conclusion (meaning both are possibile, given what we know). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

Why do only the vile tribe have those markings, then? Doesn't Jessica have marks on her face?

Anyway, thanks. I've been curious.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

The Vile Tribe's markings probably are connected with their magic ability. There's a spoiler in Magical School Lunar that backs this up somewhat.

Jessica's marks could just be darker areas of skin/fur. That's actually why I first thought Hiro was part beastman initially, before I found out more about the Vile Tribe. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

I figured that the marks on Jessica's face and and the marks on Leo's face (and Senia for that matter) were examples of the same trait. (Mauri doesn't have them, but let's never mind that. :P)

The Lunar 1 and 2 artbook mentions that Gwyn isn't Hiro's biological grandfather, but it's mostly a matter of your imagination. :mrgreen:

The author of the novels seems to like the Hiro as part beastman theory. I have long been a bit disappointed that Lunar 2 didn't touch on what happened to the Vile Tribe, so the idea that Hiro represents them is pretty gratifying. Oh, Lunar, I love you and your dearth and variability of detail! ^_^
「まあいいけど。」

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

Wow, you guys know everything. 0_o Heh, cool.

Thanks, this is awesome.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Shiva Indis wrote:The Lunar 1 and 2 artbook mentions that Gwyn isn't Hiro's biological grandfather, but it's mostly a matter of your imagination. :mrgreen:
Oh snap. I stand corrected then; I'll need to re-check that now. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

It's in the 30 Questions with Kei Shigema, I'm pretty sure. It's in a response about Gwyn's travels when he was younger and says that he met Hiro's parents at that time (and apparently Nall).

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

You know it, Alun. Besides the entry you mentioned, there's another one that deals specifically with Hiro's background. I got the book out earlier and I was struck by how much good stuff is in that article. It basically resolves the "what is Lucia" question, even. Neat little story kernels, too-- imagine a world-traveling Nall crossing paths with a cool, younger Gywn... :mrgreen:

On a somewhat related note, did anyone note that Rebecca translated the Ronfar backstory out of the same book? (I'd been meaning to do that one... :P)
「まあいいけど。」

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

Hey, pray tell, what *IS* Lucia officially? A true goddess, or a mortal something...?

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Arlia wrote:Hey, pray tell, what *IS* Lucia officially? A true goddess, or a mortal something...?
She's a goddess. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Yeah. :mrgreen:

As Shigema put it, Lucia, Althena, and Zophar are the same sort of being (with the caveat that fantasy gods usually fall short of the modern conception of the term).
「まあいいけど。」

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

Did Althena make her or something?