Nifty Easter Egg

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the remake of Lunar 2 for Saturn/Playstation and all its translations
iheartmovees
Meryod Yokel
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Nifty Easter Egg

Post by iheartmovees »

I found this out via the official strategy guide, and wanted to test this myself on video. To my knowledge, not a lot of people know about this, so I wanted to share this with the board. Hope you guys like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDdHXqtUyqQ

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Re: Nifty Easter Egg

Post by Shiva Indis »

I remember reading about this...and feeling like it would be difficult to pull off, so I never tried it. So, it's great to see it in action. Thanks for posting this! :mrgreen:

"OMG, you (almost) killed Hiro and Gwyn! You bastard! Er, big bully!"

(You know, if the remake removed fallen characters from the field like the original does, there never would have been a problem. 8-) )
「まあいいけど。」

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I've never been able to replicate that in any version, so I haven't been able to verify it, but apparently that was something uniquely added to the US version of EBC. Without it, you can accidentally "trap" the monster with Hiro and Gwyn after they fall, leaving Lucia to just defend the entire time, and the battle to progress indefinitely. That little bit was technically added to avoid that bug, and they just decided to give some storyline elements with it. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yes, it was added to the US version after one of WD's testers found the bug by accident. I do know of someone else who got it to happen.

Funny how "not on YouTube" = "almost no one knows about this". :P But I guess that outside of sites like this not too many people are studying out-of-print guides for decade-old games.

There's a bit of an inaccuracy in the narration, though; as Shiva Indis points out, this wouldn't have been possible on the SegaCD version. I think you meant to say Sega Saturn. The SegaCD game has its own quirks, though none of them as potentially amusing or game-ending as that one. I could swear that in my first playthrough of the SegaCD Ruby actually did finish off a boss, but the EBC guide says that she didn't attack bosses; does anyone else recall this happening? (I also remember Lucia running up and slapping an enemy for 1 damage and was amused to find that her AI had an Attack option at all.)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I remember that, I even replicated it for some kicks back in the day. Kind of like you can make Ruby dizzy if you go through the inventory really fast.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

AlexofBurg
Lostest Boy

Post by AlexofBurg »

I remember doing that once because I saw it in the strategy guide. I was able to do it pretty easily, I think I had to reset maybe once. Pretty amusing, if only that was a viable option for tougher bosses!

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Shin Otaku III »

Alunissage wrote:I could swear that in my first playthrough of the SegaCD Ruby actually did finish off a boss, but the EBC guide says that she didn't attack bosses; does anyone else recall this happening?
I got something similar to happen, but it wasn't on the SegaCD version, it was EBC. On one of the dragon bosses (can't remember which now), the fight seemed to drag on forever. Unlike this Easter Egg, I did a lot of damage. Randomly, ruby got the final killing blow for like 40 something damage. I remember she attacked randomly, so I'm guessing my case was coincidence. It's been 7+ years ago, but I remember it today just because of how funny I thought it was. I'm suprised the EBC guide says that, it wouldn't have been so amusing to me if I hadn't been fighting that boss for so long.

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

O_O You couldn't have done that any other time!? Geez Ruby...

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Alunissage wrote:Yes, it was added to the US version after one of WD's testers found the bug by accident. I do know of someone else who got it to happen.

Funny how "not on YouTube" = "almost no one knows about this". :P But I guess that outside of sites like this not too many people are studying out-of-print guides for decade-old games.

There's a bit of an inaccuracy in the narration, though; as Shiva Indis points out, this wouldn't have been possible on the SegaCD version. I think you meant to say Sega Saturn. The SegaCD game has its own quirks, though none of them as potentially amusing or game-ending as that one. I could swear that in my first playthrough of the SegaCD Ruby actually did finish off a boss, but the EBC guide says that she didn't attack bosses; does anyone else recall this happening? (I also remember Lucia running up and slapping an enemy for 1 damage and was amused to find that her AI had an Attack option at all.)
Lucia has slapped someone for me as well, doing 1 point like you said. Ruby's fire breath seems to happen randomly and only when a monster is at low HP. Ruby will attack bosses, she killed the White Fiend for me.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I'm pretty sure the algorithm for Ruby's attack is in the beginning of the strategy guide. I don't remember how it goes, but it involves the number of people in the party (so she's more likely to do it when there are fewer people). As well as some randomness, of course.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Randomly, ruby got the final killing blow for like 40 something damage. I remember she attacked randomly, so I'm guessing my case was coincidence.
I want to say this happened to me as well, in EBC, on the Red Dragon after Ruby gets a power-up to her flame ability.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Shin Otaku III »

I'm surprised to hear that that happened to so many people. Maybe my case wasn't so unique. At the time, I didn't know anyone else who was playing through the game. Would have been nice to compare notes to see how common ruby killing blows were! :D