What exactly is Lucia?

For discussion of Lunar: Eternal Blue, the remake of Lunar 2 for Saturn/Playstation and all its translations
Racoati
Lyton Singer
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Racoati »

Okay, really belatedly jumping in here, but here's my theory from my one playthrough....

I've always described Lucia as an avatar of Althena. That is to say, she's to Althena as angels are to God. Althena feeds her her power, and she obeys Althena unthinkingly. She may even have a reduced sort of free will for the most part (though she eventually does display free will).

To humans, she's a deity, but on the scale of things, she's demideific. However, does that change when she absorbs Althena's power? Possibly.

I like the notion that she's subservient to Althena, though pretty much a deity to everyone else. It works for me on a level I can't quite define, but that's just me. ^^
<a href="http://catofthe.sunlesslands.net/eternal">Eternalism</a> :: ostracised by the Lunar fandom since 2005, so you don't have to be ~ oddpairing chaos galore!

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Wow, I never thought of Lucia as an angel of Althena's. I just tend to believe now that Lucia is sort of like the Greek gods (Main god, lower gods with specific duties and tasks, yadda yadda.)

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

The bit about relative divinity is one I've been trying to get across in those arguments where people say things like "Well, Althena's a goddess, so she can obviously do X, Y, and Z and knows A, B, and C" and so on, assuming the Lunar concept of a deity is the same as that of a contemporary monotheist's. Neither Lucia nor Althena are omnipotent/omniscient.

I don't think I'd put the difference between Althena and Lucia as that great (especially from the interviews), but Lucia is definitely junior to her.

Rimmie
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Rimmie »

Heh, my two cents:

I'm pretty sure she's just a step or two above a human. It would've been weird for 'althena' to randomly choose a human for her purpose, and have it live inside a crystal like that.

The main idea is the "fate" and redundancy of it all. Lucia was named "the destroyer" early in the game, and you find out that she really was; her assigned task was to destroy Zophar AND Lunar in the process. Hiro was there to make her realize that was the wrong move, and so prove the moral that humanity should be their strongest point, not made-up deities from video games. Amen!
And if you're wondering why they would bother to do it that way;
Yeah, she was in the crystal;
Since she was in that crystal thing and "wasn't supposed to awaken" yet, she would have been an adult and more powerful by the time the Blue Star was ready to be inhabited by humans again, originally.

She doesn't seem to see herself as human or equal to "them", anyway. She keeps calling everyone "them", "humans", or what, never "we" or "us".

All said. ^_-
Pickle? I thought you said baseball card!

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

You realize this topic is nearly a year old, right?

Her assigned task isn't to destroy Zophar and Lunar; her assigned task is to guard the Blue Star and oppose Zophar if necessary on the Blue Star, not Lunar. While Luna foresaw that Lucia would come to Lunar due to Althena's unplanned retirement, Lucia herself had no knowledge that that would be necessary; therefore, it was not her task. She was only there to find Althena; her half-baked attempt to do Althena's job in the way Althena did it on the Blue Star was because she was not prepared to deal with that situation and didn't have any other idea how to handle Zophar.

Rimmie
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Rimmie »

Yeah, well, it was here, and no one ever says much of anything anyway.

Zhane Masaki
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Zhane Masaki »

Rimmie wrote:

Yeah, well, it was here, and no one ever says much of anything anyway.

I'll say this now only cuz I just concluded a year of research on the matter.

Judging by the magnitude of her magical abilities, and the various powers she has displayed throughout the game, I'd believe it's safe to say we can classify Lucia as a high-level demigoddess.

Think Lenneth from Valkyrie Profile, only minus the Norse battle gear and 100 times hotter.

Rimmie
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Rimmie »

"In my own mind, the only one who is ever right is me."

-Me

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Don't worry about the year-old thing. If you have new things to add, or new comments, then feel free to still post.

Reviving old posts is only irritating when you add on a one-liner, or quote someone else and just add a line. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

joker_mausland
Pao Hunter

Post by joker_mausland »

There's something I have wondered for a while, how long has Lucia been alive?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Unknown, and frankly, not relevant. She was in existence at the time of the migration to Lunar (one of the Vane library books in SSSC says that a girl was left behind on the Blue Star), but how long she'd been around before then isn't made clear. It seems likely that she witnessed the destruction of the Blue Star and had encountered Zophar at that time, since they recognize each other at the beginning of EB, but it's not stated explicitly that she's speaking from personal experience when she tells the party about the Blue Star's destruction.

The novels apparently have her saying that she's never met Althena (which might suggest she came into being after the migration), but I'm not inclined to take that as definitive just yet.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Wasn't Lucia shocked when Luna left that hologram message for her? Maybe that ties in with Lucia never having met Althena but for some reason I think her dialogue contradicts my theory. It could be that Lucia just didn't expect the goddess to have remained in a human and mortal state.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Silver Phoenix wrote:Wasn't Lucia shocked when Luna left that hologram message for her? Maybe that ties in with Lucia never having met Althena but for some reason I think her dialogue contradicts my theory. It could be that Lucia just didn't expect the goddess to have remained in a human and mortal state.
While Lucia never personally knew Althena, she was always aware of who Althena was--that much was certain (it was also specified in the novels prologue).

I think her shock at the hologram was because she'd always had the same notion of what kind of person Althena was. Because Althena was actively involved with Lunar for the previous 4000-5000 years or so, she'd changed considerably, and changed a lot in her feelings regarding humans. Since Lucia wasn't around during that change in character, she wasn't aware of the new 'person' that Althena had become while she was in stasis. Hence, the shock. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I haven't read the novels so you'd have a better understanding of the story linkage than I do. Unfortunate that the games lack a lot of the history regarding characters and events which occur in the novels.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Silver Phoenix wrote:I haven't read the novels so you'd have a better understanding of the story linkage than I do. Unfortunate that the games lack a lot of the history regarding characters and events which occur in the novels.
Well, you said that "her dialogue" contradicts your theory. What's your theory and why does the EB dialogue contradict that? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I was referring to in-game dialogue. Lucia speaks as though she has a history with Althena but I could be a bit rusty with that because it's been a while since I played.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Keep in mind that an early concept of Lucia's tower had a second, empty crystal where Althena would have been. That certainly suggests that at that point at least in development they were thought of as knowing each other. And if the novels are the only source saying that they have not met, and were written by someone else, I'm not inclined to weight them over strong suggestions in the games that they do know each other. (But I haven't played the games recently enough to say how strong that implication is.)

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Where was the suggestion of a second vacant crystal in an early version of the tower? The artbook?

I remember when Eternal Blue for Sega CD came out a lot of us had though Lucia was Althena's sister or the daughter or Alex and Luna. It would be nice to have some in-depth history of Lucia's origins aside from merely being a guardian of the Blue Star.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

It's in the interview with Ryousirow Hasukawa which is posted on the site:

Golbez: Could you tell me anything about the relationship between Althena and Lucia?

Ryousirow Hasukawa: They are almost twins. They have the same power. Lucia is the keeper of the Blue Star. Althena is the keeper of the Lunar. If power of Althena hadn't vanished from Lunar, Lucia never would have awakened until power of the Blue star had been restored enough.

There was two crystals in the sleeping place of Lucia on the first draft of LUNAR2. One for Lucia, and the other for Althena which had empty for so long a time.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I remember reading that on the site in the past. So apparently they are more like sisters.