MAGIUS - Magic School LUNAR! RPG

For discussion of Magical School Lunar, for the Saturn, and its predecessor Lunar: Walking School, for the Game Gear
viletribe
Burg Farmer
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

MAGIUS - Magic School LUNAR! RPG

Post by viletribe »

Hey there! It's been an eternity. I've been busy with life- Gamedev, getting my own apartment... I kind of vanished from the Lunar fanbase. (Not that anyone knows me anyway.)

... BUT anyway, I've got something a little interesting.

For those who weren't around for it; back in... I think it was September or October? A copy of the Magius MSL Tabletop RPG came up on Yahoo Japan Auctions.
I fought for it. I think it ended around $100 CAD.

... And I got it! (Sorry to the other person who was bidding, if you've got an account here, haha.)

I've only got a few photos right now which I'd posted to my Twitter after receiving it (it was caught up in customs for a whole month, not very fun), but I plan to provide scans once I can get my hands on... Well... A scanner.

I have no clue if knowledge of this thing is commonplace. I'd never heard of it until I saw the listing and my boyfriend googled Magius to tell me it was a TTRPG system. In order to make this playable if anyone aims to translate it; I believe a copy of the general Magius rule/guide book would be needed, but once I'm able to scan this, I'd be very happy to provide the scans to someone who... Y'know... Speaks Japanese.

Here's the photos I took for the Twitter post back in December! The art is super cute. I can provide a few more photos if anyone wants, I'm a bit busy with life right now but can be reached at my gamedev/personal twitter at all times; tsukikotei.
-Jericho-
Local Lunar fan, artist, author, gamedev and Vile Tribe Apologist.
Art in my icon is always my own.

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: MAGIUS - Magic School LUNAR! RPG

Post by Alunissage »

That's a nicely rare thing to get. I think I've only seen about three of them for sale ever, and I bought two of them (for myself and for Kizyr here). I also managed to find the MAGIUS guidebook for him, as I neither read Japanese (much) or play TTRPGs, and he does both. However, one of the unfortunate concomitants of being fans of a series for over a quarter-century is that adult life tends to get in the way of doing projects like figuring out what to DO with these books.

I had totally forgotten there were internal illustrations, so thanks for posting the pics! I wonder who drew them; they don't quite look like Funato's style.

viletribe
Burg Farmer

Post by viletribe »

Ah, nice! I had no clue if anyone else had ever gotten their hands on it. Glad there's a couple in more knowledgeable hands, haha! And I really do understand. Adult life's terrifying- This whole "just getting my first apartment" shtick's really thrown me for a few loops.

And no problem! I found a few more that I might see about adding to the main post. It is pretty curious- The style itself looks familiar, but it's definitely not the style I'm used to from Funato at all (... coming from someone who rereads VHM and YNO whenever they can, that is). I might see if there's any credit in it or online; maybe on the original store page for the book.

Thanks for the input!
-Jericho-
Local Lunar fan, artist, author, gamedev and Vile Tribe Apologist.
Art in my icon is always my own.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yeah, I feel like the cover illo is striking a balance between her style and Kubooka's. The bodies and poses seem kind of like hers, but the eye shape seems more like his. That one of Barua and Memphis (? haven't played MSL yet) does look more like her, but the faces of the girls in the last one you posted definitely isn't.

Actually, that last one reminds me of a comment Funato made in an interview, that one of the stylistic things she had to do to fit in with Kubooka's character art was made the heads bigger than she usually drew them. I hadn't really thought about it before then, and I still don't think of it much, but it reminds me that SSS Kyle's head sometimes looks a little small on his body to me and I suspect it's because it's actually more proportioned to his body than everyone else's is.

And your mention of the manga reminds me that I should go through them again now that I know a couple more words. =)

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

For real it might seem expensive but that is not a bad price... This was pretty impossible for me to find while I was actually living in Japan and looking through dozens-to-hundreds of bookstores, and Alun happening on one is the only way I was able to get it.

I skimmed through the system a while ago so don't remember a lot offhand, but the big difference between MAGIUS and the MSL TTRPG versus things like D&D/Pathfinder/etc. is that the MAGIUS RPGs are built around pre-set characters and pre-set scenarios. Playing through them is a bit closer to a customizable board game than an open-world pen-and-paper game like D&D. Though that also makes it pretty amenable to making tons of TTRPGs based on video games and anime -- and there were plenty besides just Lunar.
~Kizyr (they|them)

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

Can't wait to see photosand stuff
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions