What's in Lunar 3 ??????

For discussion of rumors of any new Lunar games, including the nonexistent Lunar 3

Who Do You Think Will Be Back In Lunar 3?!?

Ghaleon
14%
Zophar
3%
luna
No votes
Lucia
20%
Alex
6%
Hiro
6%
The Four Dragons
51%

Total votes: 35

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I think most of us decided that this game didn't qualify as "Lunar 3" because when it was first announced, it seemed as though it was going to be sort of a side story in the vein of Magic School. But Kizyr's descriptions of it lead me to believe it'll be a much more substantial plot, so maybe it does qualify as Lunar 3?

But honestly, I'd prefer to see the Lunar series continue without numbers. It's just my personal preference, but I think it'd be nice to just have them all have subtitles like Silver Star, Eternal Blue, Dragon Song, etc.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Honestly, I want a real Lunar 3 on a console as a sequel to EB. I think prequels are great for these handhelds Though missing out on full anime scenes/voice for a Four Heroes game will suck. Then again, without John Truitt as Ghaleon, maybe not.
-G1

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

It's just a pity the games aren't backward compatible.

Note EBC referrs heavily back to SSSC.

Yet neither EBC or SSSC can refer back to DS. Which is a pity, I think. It'd weave the world together a little more.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Coxy
Meryod Yokel

Post by Coxy »

Working designs still hold the license to Lunar 3, they may be holding out to use it for a new home console Lunar game release, or Gamearts may be cunningly bypassing the "Lunar 3" agreement by not naming Lunar 3 as "Lunar 3" and -Borgan- the numbering system

I'm not aware of the details of the contract but I do know WD hold the rights to release "Lunar 3" in the US

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Authority, please? Because I'm about certain WD never had an actual contract for Lunar 3, and they sold the Lunar rights back to GA...necessary for Ubi to be able to use their character names.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I think the licensing agreement had him/her confused. Working Designs had the Lunar license, basically in name only. Originally if a company was to translate a Lunar game in the US, they would have had to change the name. Working Designs no longer has any hold on the series. If Ubisoft has the licensing agreement with GameArts now, which seems to be the case, then they will be handling any future releases in the series. It's possible that they many relinquish the rights at any given time allowing another company to step in, and take over the localization.

One good thing about WD not handling the localizations, is that we won't be waiting as long with delays. The benefit of WD translating was the effort they put into the localizations, and the voice talent. Who is to say another company can't do as good of a job, if not better, and get the product finished faster? Hopefully Ubisoft gets a handle on their writers, so we don't end up with a Lunar Legend repeat.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

GhaleonOne wrote:Honestly, I want a real Lunar 3 on a console as a sequel to EB. I think prequels are great for these handhelds Though missing out on full anime scenes/voice for a Four Heroes game will suck. Then again, without John Truitt as Ghaleon, maybe not.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but is there a reason Ubi couldn't hire Truitt?

EDIT: You don't think it'll be a while before the Four Heroes Story arrives? It's certainly possible to do FMV or voice acting on the DS, and by the time FHS arrives, larger carts will probably be available too, and the developers will have a better idea on how to use the DS. This is assuming, of course, that Nintendo's next portable system isn't already available.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I guess they could hire him, but I think Truitt is mostly just friends with Victor Ireland, as are most of their voice talent. It's all local from Redding I believe. I mean, I guess it's possible for Ubi to use him, but I just don't think it would happen.
-G1

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Ubisoft will probably use professional voice actors (i.e. union). I can't imagine they'd dig up the people from Redding. Ubisoft has no presence there, no local recording studio, and Redding is the middle of nowhere California, so it's not likely they would ever want to set up an office there. It is possible to phone in a recording session, but it's not preferable, especially to work with a group of actors the Ubisoft team has no experience with.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Rune Lai wrote:Ubisoft will probably use professional voice actors (i.e. union). I can't imagine they'd dig up the people from Redding. Ubisoft has no presence there, no local recording studio, and Redding is the middle of nowhere California, so it's not likely they would ever want to set up an office there. It is possible to phone in a recording session, but it's not preferable, especially to work with a group of actors the Ubisoft team has no experience with.

I figured it would be that last one if it happened, as I know of one case where a voice actor contributed from the other side of the country; but if it is that much of a pain, then, yeah, you're probably right, it won't happen. Which is too bad.

Oh well.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Hmm, I think the reason there where so many Delays with WD is because of...

A. Quality control
B. Makeing sure it gets done right
C. Fixing bugs in the Japenese versions
D. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY smaller company with a certainly smaller budget.

*shrugs* Besides, I doubt they pull an EAgames stunt and force their workers to work 24/7 with no compensation and poor pay.

Besides, look at all the extras they throw into the game? I love that. You don't see crappy Square doing that with their FF games, do you? (would be great to have a Sephiroth punching puppet so you have something to punch with the Ghaleon punching puppet :P )

Besides, since I have yet to play Ubisoft's version of DS (which hasn't even come out yet here), I'm pretty sure they prooved your theory wrong when they did L:L. (I still think they had monkeys translate the darned thing.)

And Redding being in the middle of no-where? I could have sworn that Redding was a hot place for companies and a very high end place to live.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

No, Redding is a mountain town mostly. No bigger than Colorado Springs even. I'm not sure of any other gaming companies besides Working Designs in the city.
-G1

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Well, when ya think about it...Ubi'd only have to hire 4 voice actors from Working Designs:The people who did Dyne/Laike, Mel, Lemia, and of course Truitt.

...make it 5. I forgot Quark. 15 or 16 years is insignifcant for a creature that must've been alive for thousands of years. I'd be surprised if the white dragon in DS isn't Quark. He looks like he's over 1000 years old to me. ...Hell, he looks old enough to be the original White Dragon that came to Lunar with Althena.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well, Redding can't be that small. Colorado Springs has well over 300,000 people living here.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

re: voice actors. I'm sure the major Ubi Studios probably have their own recording studios where they do their voicework. But I wouldn't be surprised if they outsourced Lunar voicework. Not outsource out of the country, but just out of the company. It's fairly common in the video game industry and WD even did it for Growlanser because they "ran out of actors in Redding" if that says anything about how small Redding is.
-Rich-

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Ran out of actors in redding...hee.

Redding does seem to be full of voice actors, though.

I wonder how many of 'em had to get unlisted phonenumbers to hide from rabid fans...

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

Angelalex242 wrote:Ran out of actors in redding...hee.

Redding does seem to be full of voice actors, though.

I wonder how many of 'em had to get unlisted phonenumbers to hide from rabid fans...

Probably only Ashley Angel because he went on to have moderate success. Even John Truitt is listed.

But please don't call him; that'd be the epitomy of uncool :P
-Rich-

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

None of the voice actors were that significant aside from John Truitt, so hiring new people for Mel, Lemia, and Dyne isn't much of a problem. Hell, they could just call James Earl Jones, or a number of actors that could perform with a rougher tone for Quark.

Btw, not to insult anyone, but Redding is considered a hick town in CA.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Redding was around 90,000 people three years ago, I believe. What was bizarre is that it had about a 1% vacancy rate. It does have a hick feel.

I passed through a month or two ago. It's still hot as heck there in the summer (108ish). I don't really think of it as a mountain town, but there is Shasta pretty nearby, so maybe so.

I think Vic mostly draws VAs from local theater groups, or at least did initially, so they don't necessarily have any voice-acting experience. Luna was just the wife of a friend of his, I think.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

...He doesn't have an unlisted number?

...Mr. Truitt is insane, however good a voice actor he may be.

In this day and age, with psychoes and stalkers everywhere, I'd make DAMN sure my number wasn't listed, I had caller ID, call blocking, and a lawyer on speed dial to issue restraining orders if I were in his place.

Then again, perhaps I'm just paranoid. On the other hand, assuming the man has a family, he should really put forth some effort into protecting them.