Do we really need a Lunar 3, in all actuality?

For discussion of rumors of any new Lunar games, including the nonexistent Lunar 3
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Do we really need a Lunar 3, in all actuality?

Post by Kizyr »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:
LunarRaptor wrote:Well, you see, Shadow is... ... ... :? :shock: :oops: ...I...don't rightly know...
I lol'd because he's black and they gave him guns.
There's a VGCats for every video game cliché. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Shadow's an abomination. Frankly, most of Sonic's stupid friends after Knuckles have been downright nausiating.

Someone at Sonic Team needs to write a Sonic game where Shadow, Rogue, Big, Cream, Cheeze, Blaze etc. are all killed or sucked into some sort of time warp never to be seen again or something.
-Nobi

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I liked Shadow in Sonic Adventure 2, but after that it was downhill. He was a lot more fun to play than Sonic in that game too. The skate mechanics were so much fun.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Nobiyuki77 wrote:Shadow's an abomination. Frankly, most of Sonic's stupid friends after Knuckles have been downright nausiating.

Someone at Sonic Team needs to write a Sonic game where Shadow, Rogue, Big, Cream, Cheeze, Blaze etc. are all killed or sucked into some sort of time warp never to be seen again or something.
I agree with everything you just said minus the Shadow thing. I haven't played Shadow the Hegdehog in fear of how bad it really is. I loved Shadow in Sonic Adventure 2, but it seems like he went downhill after that.

I don't know, I haven't really played a sonic game since Sonic Heros (I think that's what it was called O_o). I couldn't stand Sonic Heros, so I go rid of it. I haven't touched a Sonic game since. It really sad actually. I miss the good old Sonic games, the comic series, and the stupid (but classic) little cartoon. :(

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Dark_Fairy wrote:I agree with everything you just said minus the Shadow thing. I haven't played Shadow the Hegdehog in fear of how bad it really is. I loved Shadow in Sonic Adventure 2, but it seems like he went downhill after that.

I don't know, I haven't really played a sonic game since Sonic Heros (I think that's what it was called O_o). I couldn't stand Sonic Heros, so I go rid of it. I haven't touched a Sonic game since. It really sad actually. I miss the good old Sonic games, the comic series, and the stupid (but classic) little cartoon. :(
I'm playing Sonic 2006 on the PS3 right now. Mainly because it's so bad I had to experience it.

It's like watching a movie that's horrible, but getting a laugh out of how bad it is. :-P
-Nobi

henmarko
Burg Farmer

Post by henmarko »

if lunar 3 is to come out on any console... I'd buy one even if it means having to work despite being a hikky ahehehe...

HiroOne
Red Dragon Priest

Post by HiroOne »

My only problem with a Lunar 3 would be the fact that we don't have working designs around anymore to translate it. Don't get me wrong though, there are many companies out there that have great voice acting and can do the game justice.. but there's that special touch that WD gave the lunar series that will sorely be missed by any game that gamearts puts out.

nectarsis
Burg Farmer

Post by nectarsis »

Meh Atlus, or Nippon Ichi could pull it off ;)

frozenyoge
Burg Farmer

Post by frozenyoge »

I've been contemplating this question quite a bit. I bump this thread because the title is so perfect. The influence of Lunar seems to be so general and far-reaching that a Lunar 3 is already spiritually collected in a mixture of games, isn't it?

On the other hand, nothing could compare to the situation of holding a Lunar 3 box in one's hands, playing through the game and knowing that they succeeded in continuing the spirit of the original in a manner that feels, at once, past present and future. I've done a fair bit of thinking on the Final Fantasy 7 Remake and am still sometimes shocked to find that they achieved exactly that. Likewise, while I think there are some worthy spiritual successors like the Trails in the Sky trilogy, there's still the fact that there is a specific arrangement of aesthetics and themes that belongs only to Lunar.

It's funny how my relationship to art has changed over the years. I've gone from regarding the original text as sacred and unassailable and untouchable, to believing that an old IP can, in fact, be shepherded carefully into the present, if only there was an individual or team emotionally invested enough. Ideas are alive, not dead, and we have just as much agency to interact with them as anybody else.

Ironically it speaks to the themes of the first game quite a bit, this spirit of relying on oneself instead of an exalted original, leading me circuitously right back to the question: Do we even need a new one since the original is still so relevant?

And the ideas are still very much in the zeitgeist elsewhere. The Persona games are all about that idea of thinking for oneself. When we think about how there's an older document carrying this message, we get into the whole argument of the original one being more "true." Was Lunar: The Silver Star the first media experience to put you in the company of a cast of characters and make you feel like you were traveling with them? And that you would succeed because of the strength of a bond or collection of bonds? Whether or not it was the original or the first of a kind, I like to imagine a spirit attached to the Lunar games that's not at all envious of the attention lavished upon more recent titles doing the same thing, only pleased that the message and intent is being transmitted, period. We arrive at the question: Can't we let the ideas evolve and take their course, whatever form they take? Do we really need a Lunar 3?

All that said, the answer to the thread title is always and with the maximum amount of certainty possible to be given in an answer:

Yes. Of course we do. How can you even ask this question?

ShugoHanasaki
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShugoHanasaki »

No one really "needs" a sequel or a stand alone game ever, lol! But! That being said... I would love LUNAR 3. Roughly 20 years ago I found a fan fiction online of a potential direction for the sequel and I loved it.

If a true sequel was going to be made i want it to be a sequel of all the events in SSSC / TSS / EB / EBC. Whether it be 10 / 20/ 50/ 100 / 1000 years into the future...I need many references like EBC did for SSSC
Lotus Moon Productions
- Podcasts on Independent Music Artists & Wrestling -

https://soundcloud.com/lotusmoonproductions