Is there a LUNAR 3?!

For discussion of rumors of any new Lunar games, including the nonexistent Lunar 3

Is there ganna be a LUNAR 3?

Yes
66%
No
34%

Total votes: 38

Sakkkim
BANNED
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Is there a LUNAR 3?!

Post by Sakkkim »

Is there a LUNAR 3? People have been waiting for it for FIVE WHOLE YEARS?

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

5?

I've been waiting for it since 1996. Likewise with most of the longtime members around. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Is there a LUNAR 3?!

Post by Roas Atrades »

Sakkkim wrote:Is there a LUNAR 3? People have been waiting for it for FIVE WHOLE YEARS?

Heh, news flash, my friend. Lunar existed before Saturn and Playstation. Like Kiz said, many of us have been playing these games since 1993. So try over ten years since the game's conception :)

Then again, I've always been a proponent that Lunar felt complete after EB/EBC. To really keep the series going GA would have to break the mold and come up with something totally new for a Lunar 3.

Personally, if they did do Lunar 3, I've alwasy been in the camp that wanted it to be about Dyne and his adventures. I'm not a prequal fan, but this is a Lunar story that many of us want to know.
Free your mind and let your dreams fly, -me

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

I've been waiting since 1989 for part 3, beat that Kiz!

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

WD RPG WD wrote:I've been waiting since 1989 for part 3, beat that Kiz!

??? Did you get the MegaCD import where Luna had brown hair? Because I didn't get my TSS copy til it first hit US shores in 1993.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Wait.... Luna had.... brown.... hair? *faints*

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Never heard of that, but she had brown eyes. Sometimes...
「まあいいけど。」

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

phyco126 wrote:Wait.... Luna had.... brown.... hair? *faints*

Yeah, I once had a picture from an old old old EGM talking about MegaCD. It had a Luna with brown hair.

No lie 8)

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

I'd love to see that. I don't suppose you could track it down and scan it...? :D
「まあいいけど。」

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Shiva Indis wrote:I'd love to see that. I don't suppose you could track it down and scan it...? :D

heh sorry, can't. 1- the page was given to me way back in 8th grade from another kid. And even if I did have it, I have no access to a scanner :(

I'm sure someone somewhere has old EGM's scanned into torrents or something. Maybe some bloodhound could track them down for us :P

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

That would be ub3r :) Brown eyes too eh? Brown hair, brown eyes... man, she went from typical anime to typical average girl in anime :P If that doesn't make since, then hah!

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

My scan is crap, but I've had it tucked away for years out of my old EGM.

You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Roas Atrades
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Roas Atrades »

Ding!

And the lady wins a cookie! :D

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

:shock:

I love you.... Though, now I have to admit that I am Jealous...

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Thank you Rune, I'm glad I got to see that. :D

Wow, with that cheery expression, that round, childish face, and that hair color, Luna could easily be the heroine of a shoujo manga aimed at young teens. Even in TSS she didn't look that young (well, you could dispute that here, but generally speaking). The simple, cheerful look kind of reminds me of GameArts' Takemoto Izumi games, Yumimi Mix and Dina Airan.

BTW phyco, Luna's eyes were not consistent in TSS. In the opening and ending they're brown (notice that Alex's eyes are brown as well... this is an anomaly, assumably caused by palette constraints). There are more instances of Luna with blue eyes in TSS that there are with brown.
「まあいいけど。」

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Hehe, in the first screen, it looks as if Nall isn't too happy with Luna's singing :P

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Really? I always saw it as the other way around...that Luna's eyes are brown in TSS and any instances of blue are anomalous. I'm not sure I've seen any pre-remake official (as opposed to in-game) art with blue eyes. It probably exists, but every instance I recall shows her with brown, both Kubooka and Funato art. Looking through the I+II artbook, there's not one isntance I can see of her having blue eyes -- even Dark Althena is shown with brown eyes in the concept drawing, and of course all the disc art shows brown-eyed Luna. Althena, as shown in my avatar, has blue eyes, of course, but I've never seen any other art of her until the remakes. I can't quite tell from the screenshots what color her eyes are in the EB recording, but they look quite dark, certainly not the blue of her hair.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

I'm not at all confident about what color Luna's eyes are meant to be in TSS, but in the Burg spring and Saith dock cutscenes, as well as her text portrait, they're blue. I think that covers everything in-game except the opening, ending, and instances where her eyes are red. But as you point out, all of Kubooka's promotional art for TSS features a brown-eyed Luna. The weight of evidence tends toward brown, but I wonder if the staff didn't just change their minds in the middle... :lol:

About Althena in EB - in the pulled-out shots brown tones were used on her pupils, but in close-ups her eyes seem to be pale blue.

BTW, Isn't Lucia shown with green eyes in the Lunar 1&2 artbook, even though her eyes are consistently blue in the original EB?
「まあいいけど。」

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Possibly, but consider that Kyle's hair is blue-green in his portrait but is pretty consistently black/gray in the rest of his artwork.

Lucia's eyes are blue-green, I'm pretty sure; certainly her remake artwork seems to show eyes that are slightly greener than her hair, and I think a NPC describes her as having seagreen eyes (the painter in Larpa, probably). In the artbook, she's shown with both blue and green eyes; of the two color drawings of her earlier, blonde design, one's with blue eyes and one with green. Her final designs also vary a bit in the blue-green range. Funato's Lunatic Parade version and similar show her with out-and-out green eyes, but then, Jean has rather muddy-green hair in those comics (and, by contrast, is shown with almost teal hair in her own design pages). So I would say it's not so much that Lucia's eyes are inconsistent as that it's a bit of a palette limitation; most of those colored drawings are with markers and they're not really the best for coming up with ultimate color schemes. (For that matter, some of the drawings of Alex show the same grayed bluish color, and his eyes are the one pair in all of the character designs whose color is clearly defined in text in-game.) For the actual animations in EB, of course, a color had to be selected and I'd guess that palette limitations had something to do with it; the green of the crystal would have been too green.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

That is a good point; there are a lot of inconsistencies in the old portraits. Ramus's hair is blue-black in his. That strengthens the case of the brown-eyed Luna.

I agree with you about Lucia - if her eyes are the same color as her hair, that saves 2 or 3 colors on the palette, and Lunar 2 usually holds to under 30 colors per frame (which is more efficient than Lunar 1 in some instances). The old Lucia sketches demonstrate that there was an intent to make her eyes a greener shade (it is rather yellowish in the artbook sketches, isn't it?), but the staff decided to make a change. Since the remake staff didn't have to control color usage so closely, they went ahead with the green eyes.
「まあいいけど。」