What to update?

For talking about LunarNET, the site. Requests, suggestions, complaints, praises, etc. are for this board.

What to prioritize?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:49 pm

Lunar Timeline
20%
The Artbooks
40%
All the Lunar
20%
Fandom Works
20%
...something else (comment!)
No votes

Total votes: 5

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

What to update?

Post by Kizyr »

I posed this question on the LunarNET Facebook page, and wanted to put it up here also (with a poll this time):

We've been a bit quiet lately, but we do have some plans this year to make some major additions to the site -- mainly to the "World of Lunar" sections.
Here's some stuff upcoming in the next couple months. Which ones of these would y'all be more interested in us doing sooner rather than later?:
(1) Lunar Timeline -- full rewrite
(2) The Artbooks -- major additions of artbook materials
(3) All the Lunar -- adding content from the "All the Lunar" CD
(4) Fandom Works -- minor updates to cosplay and remix sections
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Re: What to update?

Post by Sonic# »

I voted for 2 and 3. They seem particularly content-focused, and the kinds of materials that are more difficult to obtain. 1 is interesting to me but a bit lower priority because a timeline is already up, and fandom works seem like they'd be even more work, since there's 10+ years of cosplay to pull together.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Curious - what kinds of things need updating on the timeline? I'm sure there's a lot, but I'm genuinely curious if you've got new content or if there's anything incorrect. I know I based some of the dates off of Working Designs translations, so they may be different in the original text? But I think it's still worth at least noting in the timeline, even if there are discrepancies between the Japan and US versions of the games.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I scanned the entire Lunar I+II artbook a few months ago (though I think I need to redo one section). I haven't considered doing that with the SSS one, because I'd have to take it apart (the one I scanned already had a loose binding so I did take that one apart; I'd bought it for that purpose).

I haven't looked at the timeline in years, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are things we can put in from the manga. Actually, I started some sort of Ghaleon/Four Heroes timeline years ago... ha, looking at it, I last edited the doc in 2005. Probably around when Kizyr was translating the Vheen manga. Didn't get very far, sigh. So very many partial projects...

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Oh, and I was recently asked on Twitter for a link to a list of differences between TSS and its remakes. It's a weird thing for us not to have up, certainly, though I'm sure there are such pages elsewhere. Thought maybe I'd draft one in a post for LNetians to add to. (unfinished-projects++)

Erroneous
Legendary Hero

Post by Erroneous »

Regarding the timeline, what of an interactive gallery timeline of sorts?
Alunissage wrote:Oh, and I was recently asked on Twitter for a link to a list of differences between TSS and its remakes. It's a weird thing for us not to have up, certainly, though I'm sure there are such pages elsewhere.
Very cool idea!
---
LunarNET Discord: https://discord.gg/yzXgsSa

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Erroneous wrote:Regarding the timeline, what of an interactive gallery timeline of sorts?
I've had ideas for that for a long time, but just haven't had the time to build it out. Some of the timeline sites I've seen that have won awards at awwwards.com and thefwa.com have been pretty remarkable. It would be really cool to build something like that someday. We have enough screenshots to pull something off that could be really cool.

Edit - something like this, Lunar-ized would be really cool:
http://websterhallhistory.com/
-G1

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

https://timeline.knightlab.com

I've used this timeline builder before for websites. It was pretty easy to use. I'm not sure how the Webster Hall History timeline was built.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

I voted the artbooks and fandom works. I have the Lunar I+II one, and a good scanner, if you're interested in me sending some scans. Also (aimed to Kizyr in particular, as he has commented his approval in the past) maybe you could include a link to my Ghaleon cosplay playlist in fandom works as you specifically mentioned cosplay? I also do some traditional (watercolor pencils) Lunar fanart as well, though if I had to pick I'd want the cosplay represented, as I am one of the few who has made a Ghaleon cosplay (and as far as I know the only one to do his Final boss form in the remake.)

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

It seems most of the support (here and on Facebook) is for the Artbook updates first, then All The Lunar after that.

Which is fortunate, 'cause the Artbooks one is the most straightforward (just scan in and organize). For All The Lunar, I'd need to decide what to screenshot/demonstrate, what files to pull off, etc., and... do all this with a program that was designed for Windows-freaking-98.
GhaleonOne wrote:Curious - what kinds of things need updating on the timeline? I'm sure there's a lot, but I'm genuinely curious if you've got new content or if there's anything incorrect. I know I based some of the dates off of Working Designs translations, so they may be different in the original text? But I think it's still worth at least noting in the timeline, even if there are discrepancies between the Japan and US versions of the games.
For the timeline, it's basically two types of updates. One is the visual stuff you and Sonic# were showing -- though, uh, I may need some help code-wise in that department if I have to implement something in js here. Two, there are still a lot of holes or loose ends to tie up -- translation inconsistencies, additional things to add in, clearer ways to state stuff, and I think I remember a few things in there I wanted to remove since they were really speculative or contradicted by other stuff. Oh, and also add in more Magical School Lunar and Dragon Song material. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

So... the latest update is a little delayed. I'm nearly done though -- I wanted to translate another section of the artbooks so that's taking me an extra day to complete. Expect an update tomorrow (Tuesday). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Hey, just FYI, the next thing I'm updating will be the soundtracks. I've been making some good progress so far, so hope to have that done before this weekend.

After that I think will be All the Lunar. (Was putting that off since that requires a bit more effort.) Then, I might go back to the Timeline. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)