Ghaleon's race?

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Blue_Sycro
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Ghaleon's race?

Post by Blue_Sycro »

People usually assume Ghaleon is an elf or something, but doesn't Mia say he's human? When they're all giving him their individual speeches, I think she says something along the lines of "Ghaleon, you are human, and you are flawed" or something, right? Just wondering if anyone else noticed this...but maybe I just don't remember properly.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Human is metaphorical, it just means Ghaleon is a sentient, free-willed, and imperfect being, not some god.

Ghaleon, by the way, is Vile Tribe ("Mazoku"), the same race as Xenobia, Phacia, Royce, etc. That's cleared up in the books and manga. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Maybe, but there's still some discrepancy, considering the interview with Ryousirow Hasukawa:

"Golbez: What race is Ghaleon? (Elven?) What do you think about his character?

Ryousirow Hasukawa: Ah...maybe he is elven. Frankly, we don't care much about appearance, or race of character. The previous answer can be an answer for rest of the question. He is not a selfish man. He just believes in power. He thought only through power can the world be lead. And only he can get the power to make world correct. So he becomes the Emperor. He is a lonely man."

Obviously your sources override this IMO, but it is worth noting not all the scenario folks go with this. Of course, this interview was prior to the manga's release I believe. Well, I'm not sure, when was the manga written? I don't have it, so I can't check. I just know it was around the time of SSS's release.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Well, he also says that bit about nobody said Lunar is the moon, but the first dragonmaster was Neil whose arm was so strong. So it sounds like he's just being cagey. It was Golbez who suggested 'elven' in that bit, after all. And truthfully, Ghaleon's backstory isn't really relevant to SSS; it just adds some interesting depth to his character. Hasukawa reiterates several times that the backstory isn't really concrete, such as when he's asked about Hiro. Funato was clearly more interested in backstory, and Shigema also seems to have had a little more backstory in mind; Hasukawa looks to have worked on the here-and-now scenarios without being at all involved in the character creation and overall story, just implementing the story that had already been written.

Confissao was around the time of SSS's release, yeah. I should remember when, since we discussed this before, but I don't. The back of the Paper Moon sketchbook says Confissao '96.

snaztacular
Lostest Boy

Post by snaztacular »

I find Funato's vision to be much more focused than the creators'. Personal preference. :D

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

My personal belief was that he was an elf, however, I also take into the consideration that he is part of the "Mazoku." So, the Mazoku are elves! *gets shot*

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Blue_Sycro
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Blue_Sycro »

I suppose race wasn't supposed to be a huge part of it anyway. Sure there's the whole "power of the human spirit" thing, but I don't think they meant anything technical about humans as a species. I think it just means everyone as beings.

And isn't Ghaleon too tall to be an elf? :lol: Yeah, there's things other than the traditional idea of elves like in Santa's factory, I know. Twas a joke.