How did Lunar change you?

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I always seem to be late at arriving to this dinner table.

I had never played an actual rpg before Lunar. In 1993 I had recently gotten a SegaCD and was looking to try some games for it. I went to Blockbuster and was looking through the games and Lunar caught my attention. My friend said it was an rpg and I wasn't sure if I would like it but it looked interesting and I liked the packaging. Btw, packaging is one of the most important processes of buying something as it's the last thing you see before buying/selecting it.

So my friend and I go to my house and put the game in. The opening scene and the music began my enchantment. The music in Lunar The Silver Star was instrumental in hooking my interest, not to mention the story. Once I got to the White Dragon Cave I knew I had to purchase the game, it was a must have for me. Lunar was a game that really found it's way into my heart and will most likely remain my favorite game of all time. Odd that I don't even own the game anymore after I gave the original and Eternal Blue to that same friend as a gift. I am still waiting for another Lunar game or even a new game that can have as much of an impact on me. If I had the ability I would make films about the series because it's something I would like to see on a grand scale. The story is epic and it has the ability to transition to the silver screen.

Lunar has brought me in touch with so many good people (Lunar-L List, Dave's page, RPGFan, LunarNET) and I feel as though I am one of the few who remain true to it's early incarnation. The remakes just weren't on the same caliber for me even though I enjoyed them greatly. The originals were the masterpieces, even without all of the bells and whistles the remakes had. I recommend everyone find the soundtrack to the original Lunar and listen to it in it's entirety, and just imagine playing the game and experiencing the music along with the story. It was magic. I'm sure some of you who have never played the Sega CD versions feel the same way about the Saturn/Playstation versions. So few games have the quality that the two games possess and it's a shame.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Wow...where SHOULD I even try to begin? I'll start with my "first" encounter with Lunar. It leds into how its changed me. As wierd as this is going to sound, its all true.

It all started when I was younger...sometime before I was 5 years old. I saw the Lunar TSS case and I was scared of the game, (Mainly because the 'old Magic Emperor was scarey to me). About 4 years later I have a dream with Mel in it and I had NEVER seen him before that. At that time I really didn't take any notice of the dream because it was just some stupid dream and I didn't know about Lunar other than seeing the case a long time ago. That same year I got a computer from my school (An old used one) and looked up Sailor Moon stuff. Yes, I LOVED Sailor Moon. I was looking up Luna, the cat on Sailor Moon. And you know what I ran into right? Luna from SSSC. I was like oh, ok. I continued my search not really caring I ran into the wrong thing. I don't see Lunar again until my 5th grade year. By this time I had finally gotten a PS1 and got 2 random games for it (Digimon World 2 and Threads of Fate) My sister had shown me a few RPGs before this (FF9, FF8, and Legend of Dragoon), but I was not really a big fan of RPGs at that time. I was mainly a nintendo person, in fact before my PS1, the only RPG I had ever played was Super Mario RPG for the SNES.

But anyway, one day my mother and I went out of town. I saw this neat little game store called GameStop. We didn't have one in our town and I haven't really been anywhere so I thought it was REALLY cool. (We have a EB Games here nowadays) I wanted a new game for my PS1 since I only had 2 games. I was looking around the store and saw Lunar 2 EBC, but really didn't take note of it. I thought it was cool because of the anime stuff on it (And I still hadn't realized this was the game series that had been haunting since I was about 5), but I didn't think of getting it because I wasn't allowed to play teen games. I spent forever looking and then my mom is like "Why don't you get this?" And what does she point to? Lunar 2 EBC. And I'm like..."Really? I guess I can try it." I was kind of shocked she was letting me get a teen game. I took the game up to the little dude at the counter and he told me "Your really going to like this game. It's a really good game." And I'm kind of shy so I was like "I sure I will." So I pay for it and get it. The game was still brand new since it came out around that time. I get home and play it. I was in awe at the beautiful anime scenes (At the same time I was like WTF, that chick is nude, my mom's gonna flip).

Ever since Lunar 2, I've had a true love for RPGs. It also helped me learn newer big word that I never knew before that. It educated me in morals, new words, and helped my love for RPGs. I still hold Lunar 2 as my favorite game because of this. Even though as I'm typing this I'm still a bit freaked out on how I came to first learn about this game. It actually wasn't until I got Lunar SSSC and saw Mel (I was like..."I've seen him somewhere before..." Wait. O.o) that I remember how much this game plauged me. :P

Iga
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Iga »

Dark_Fairy wrote:(At the same time I was like WTF, that chick is nude, my mom's gonna flip)
Man, I had the exact same feeling when I first started up EBC. :lol:

How has Lunar changed my life? Well, I think I can give it credit for making me appreciate deep storylines. I'd played RPG's before, but as much as the story was concerned, I really didn't give much of a care for it. But when my dad borrowed SSSC from someone, it changed my entire outlook on a good story. I was about 6 at the time, and the story just immediately captivated me. The FMV scenes were great; they helped keep my 6-year-old mind from getting too bored with all the reading involved, but actually after awhile, I started wanting to read the story, even at the age of 6. Frankly, I'm amazed at myself even now(not to sound narcissistic).

And because of Lunar, I also learned my own ability with video games. I even unmasked the Magic Emperor(given I did have some fatherly help along the way; I was 6, alright?)!

Yes, Lunar has definitely affected my life for the better.

Err
BANNED

Post by Err »

The moon will change all of you! For our culture is superior to your backwater inbred culture in every way.
The Moon Rules!

Ignignokt
BANNED

Post by Ignignokt »

The moon will change how you see and hear all.

Some would say the earth is our moon. Because we are superior to the earth.
You cannot escape the Quad-Laser
There is no use jumping

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

I don't have an astounding story to tell. I was in jr. high and a few of my friends were discussing it. they decided i had to play it and i became (probably unhealthily) obsessed with it.

aside from my obsession, how have i changed? I would call myself a sort of "lunar mormon". I let people borrow my lunar games and my playstation if necessary to get them into it. if successful, i insist they spread the word and get more people playing it. i figure that even if i can't get a group growing large enough to cause another good lunar, i'll at least have more people to discuss it with.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:aside from my obsession, how have i changed? I would call myself a sort of "lunar mormon". I let people borrow my lunar games and my playstation if necessary to get them into it. if successful, i insist they spread the word and get more people playing it. i figure that even if i can't get a group growing large enough to cause another good lunar, i'll at least have more people to discuss it with.
I've done that quite a bit in the past. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so well, but at least there's a few more Lunar fans because of it. :P
-G1

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

we can't let the flame die out! :D

MogTheMoogle
Meribian Merchant

Post by MogTheMoogle »

Ancient topic, but I still took the time to read all of these, I thought they were interesting. This is one of the reasons I like an RPG with a smaller fanbase.

Some things that caught my eye:
Sonic# wrote:I played the EBC soundtrack in class one day, as an example of a song with poetic devices, and it made people look at me differently.
Most likely something I'd do, I'm just that nerdy sometimes.
Racoati wrote:And above all... the world of Lunar feels like hope. I don't really know how further to define that; maybe it'll make sense to me later.
Then again, most RPGs are like that... but something about Lunar appeals to me more than other ones, even with the typical Hero-saves-the-day clichés.
Soir-Lilac wrote:I think I partially owe some of my more recent music appreciation to Lunar, as well.
Same here. :D
Zophar wrote:And ever since I had played Lunar and learned how to use flash, I wanted to make a Lunar movie. Which I would in the long run (Lunar: Eternal Sapphire).
That sounds neat.
Dark_Fairy wrote:I was in awe at the beautiful anime scenes (At the same time I was like WTF, that chick is nude, my mom's gonna flip).
XD XD! I'm embarrassed to say I don't like letting other people watch me play when I get to that part, even today.

Alright, enough of MY comments, how about a short story from yours truly?

So it was maybe 8 years ago when I was introduced the SSSC. I was only in the fifth grade but I was already in love with RPGs even at the age of 8. I owned FF2 and FF3 for the SNES and liked it a lot. My brother would keep bringing in different games, such as Earthbound, Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger, etc. all from this awesome game rental store that closed down when I started middle school.
Moving on, my brother had a friend who let us borrow SSSC, and I thought the box for the game was really cool, and the instruction booklet was neat. I played it for a bit and liked the game even more when I got to see the anime FMV's. I was already a fan of anime also (geez to look at that back then, I was a bigger nerd than I am today haha). The gameplay was fun, I like the old school look, and it reminds me of the good ol' SNES RPGs.

How exactly did it change my life? It made me a more romantic person. :oops:
I don't think at first I was really into that stuff but you should know what Lunar can do to you. I've always wanted to be a hero and then go elope with some hot babe with blue hair... I'll stop there.
Holy karp, a Lunar: SSSC video walkthrough!
http://www.youtube.com/my_playlists?p=63A45604406446EE

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

any mom that would flip about the nude lucia needs to loosen up. i'd say there's no worries since her vag and breasts were sort of "barbie'd".

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Someone seeing only that scene would have to wonder about the content of the rest of the game, especially if all they know about games is what they hear on TV. And each parent has the right and responsibility to determine what is appropriate content for their child according to their own standards. You, on the other hand, have neither responsibility nor right to decide for them what those standards should be.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:Someone seeing only that scene would have to wonder about the content of the rest of the game, especially if all they know about games is what they hear on TV. And each parent has the right and responsibility to determine what is appropriate content for their child according to their own standards. You, on the other hand, have neither responsibility nor right to decide for them what those standards should be.
And how would you know that? I'm sure that B_G has extensive parenting experience as a mother, and must be speaking from said experience. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

Great subject and all great post! ^^ Well I've been drawing since I was a wee lad and I started drawing anime style in the early 90's I believe and I think LUNAR help me go in that direction. We all know the stories are so great and the character designs are awesome and LUNAR helps inspire me to be a great character designer someday. It would be a dream job to work on the next LUNAR. Also the music is so inspiring, I'd listen to it when I draw also back when I went to school I'd listen to it on my bike ride to school. I recently just started playing SSSC again and it never ceases to inspire me, it's so moving. Okay, maybe I am starting to sound baka now..but anyway, LUNAR inspires me ^^

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Kizyr wrote:
Alunissage wrote:Someone seeing only that scene would have to wonder about the content of the rest of the game, especially if all they know about games is what they hear on TV. And each parent has the right and responsibility to determine what is appropriate content for their child according to their own standards. You, on the other hand, have neither responsibility nor right to decide for them what those standards should be.
And how would you know that? I'm sure that B_G has extensive parenting experience as a mother, and must be speaking from said experience. KF
That still wouldn't give him the right to decide what standards OTHER parents should have.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Alunissage wrote:
Kizyr wrote:
That still wouldn't give him the right to decide what standards OTHER parents should have.
Even if the standards of someone elses parents are completely wacked?

Though, it's intresting if I ever have kids...

Daughter: Daddy, I'm 16 now, can I PLEASE wear regular pants now?
Me: NO! Too easy access and way to revealing. You'll have to stay in those 3 inch thick medievil armor until you're 18.
Daughter: Well, dad, can I at least lose my entourage?
Me: NO! I want all 50 of those Secret Service Ex-SEALs Best of the Best SIR! to stay within 25 feet of you at all times.
Daughter: DAD! You are so unfair! *Runs to her room slamming the door, followed by 50 sets of foot steps running after her to her room*

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Alunissage wrote:
Kizyr wrote:
you're right. no length of parenting experience would give me that right. The first amendment does.

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

It also made me crazy.. I named one of my Shiba Inu "Rubi" after Ruby and if I ever have a daughter she will be named Luna. In an Art 3-D class I made a clay sculpture of Ruby...
Image"Sample my goods!!"

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:
Alunissage wrote:
Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:And how would you know that? I'm sure that B_G has extensive parenting experience as a mother, and must be speaking from said experience. KF
you're right. no length of parenting experience would give me that right. The first amendment does.
I just re-read this and noticed how completely silly it sounded.

So... the First Amendment, which protects free speech, also guarantees you specifically the right to decide for other people what their standards should be? So, why are you the one lucky enough to get the right to set all these standards?

I'd better re-read the Constitution sometime. Maybe the phrase "respect the right of B_G to decide everyone else's standards" was slipped in between "free press" and "right to petition"; I must've just overlooked it. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Kizyr wrote:
Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:
Alunissage wrote:
Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:And how would you know that? I'm sure that B_G has extensive parenting experience as a mother, and must be speaking from said experience. KF
I just re-read this and noticed how completely silly it sounded.

So... the First Amendment, which protects free speech, also guarantees you specifically the right to decide for other people what their standards should be? So, why are you the one lucky enough to get the right to set all these standards?

I'd better re-read the Constitution sometime. Maybe the phrase "respect the right of B_G to decide everyone else's standards" was slipped in between "free press" and "right to petition"; I must've just overlooked it. KF
more like alunissage acted as if i HAD decided someone else's standards simply by expressing my own and adding my opinion that i find others ridiculous in their behaviors based on some of their standards. These things are (or at least should be) obvious. why? well I think it has something to do with the fact that i don't have mind control powers.

AlasdairPalemoon
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AlasdairPalemoon »

For me, it's a few things. For one, I don't know if I would have ever gotten into RPGs if I hadn't started playing Lunar: The Silver Star for the Sega-CD and since then it's become my favorite genre.

It's also affected my art. I know before I even played the game and just looked at the ad in Sega Visions (an old Sega magazine way back when), I started mimicking the character designs of Alex, Luna and the Magic Emperor (who, at the time, I only knew as that 'armored dude').

It's also affected my storytelling. I think it's a heavy influence on my preference for generally light-hearted stories that are still able to present dramatic storytelling, as well. So often, it seems like stories end up being dark and mature or light and too patronizing, but I think this was one of those ones that found a nice balance in between.