Can we really compare SSSC and EBC?

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Isirio
Saith Pirate
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Can we really compare SSSC and EBC?

Post by Isirio »

well... even when i have post two polls comparing our mains characters Alex/Hiro and Luna/Lucia... a question came to my mind...

Can we rally compare SSSC and EBC?

I mean... there are two different stories... and the characters are quite different one from the other... and i know for sure that we love them all!!!
so as you can see is quite different make a choice reagrding this question... all the characters have something that makes them Special... and quite particular... so as i read in a topic (can't remember wich one ) i quote...

"is like make a mother to pick wich one is his favorite son"

so in conclussion... the question it should be "wich character iddentify you more?" instead of "wich one do you like more" (the impossible to answer question :? )

red9_merchant
Student of Vane

Post by red9_merchant »

I see what you're saying. I love SSSC and EBC equally, just because they have different stories and different characters, and it isn't just like a repeat of the first. As for those polls, I was just saying who I perfered more. Not who I liked more. I like all of the characters. There is just something about the Lunar games that makes you wanna love all the characters. But, then again, that could just be me. :/

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Oh yeah, plus the world of EB is considerably different than the world of TSS/SSSC. There's more of a 'democratization' of magic (way more folks can cast it, and without formal training), but there aren't those fantastic, legendary things like a floating city and clearly visible goddess tower.

I would relate more to Eternal Blue... I like the idea of a world where humans have already been doing things for themselves for ages. During TSS, folks where just starting to get away from their dependence on the goddess for direct intervention. Although, since TSS seems like it's more of a time of transition, it has its own strong merits. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I didn't really see TSS as having a theme of a strong dependency on Althena. After all, she was known to be around as a human now and again, and while it's an interesting rumor that she's not in her town it's not presented in tones of fear and confusion. She's just someone who likes songs and dance, and whose light on the world gives life; she doesn't seem to be very directly mothering. I mean, if in a thousand years no one had noticed that she wasn't around any more, they can't have had that much dependence on her. Quite the opposite, really...the spiritual miasma of EB's atmosphere and the controlling of the Cult regarding the cost of healing and such shows that it was humans, the Cult, who were trying to foster dependence on her, or rather them - remember the smashed statue in Dalton to force people to get healed at the Sanctuary? EB is more like the world they were trying to portray in SSSC of humans demanding too much, and TSS is more like the intended result of her stepping down, that she's remembered but not constantly solicited for help.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Hmmm. Ya know, humanity doesn't seem as dependant as one would think they'd be in Dragon Song, either.

Or is it?

Jian can't gain a single experience point without praying. He can't get even a tiny bit strong without praying...

Is that the dependence she stepped down from?
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

Isirio
Saith Pirate

Post by Isirio »

i still haven't got a chance to play DS... looking forward to it... :wink:

Silentcrisis
BANNED

Post by Silentcrisis »

i think we could find a way to pick a favorite out of these 2 games

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

But is it necessary to do so? Enjoy each for its own merits. I like TSS's music, SSSC's character portraits, EB's world map, LL's sprites...

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

I do think there is a place for enjoying a game on its own merits or, in a broader sense, evaluating it in a self-contained context. In particular it is often the case that people make irrelevant comparisons between games, often disliking a game because it doesn't meet some artificial expectations set by some other game. This is especially unfortunate given that innovative games are more likely to be dismissed for not living up to preconceived notions of what a particular genre/series/etc. should do.

That having been said, comparisons can be worthwhile if one is careful. Evaluating what a given game does well/poorly vs. another game can provide valuable insight into the reasons for one's preferences. Certain other comparisons can just be fun, as is often the case with those involving characters.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:Quite the opposite, really...the spiritual miasma of EB's atmosphere and the controlling of the Cult regarding the cost of healing and such shows that it was humans, the Cult, who were trying to foster dependence on her, or rather them - remember the smashed statue in Dalton to force people to get healed at the Sanctuary? EB is more like the world they were trying to portray in SSSC of humans demanding too much, and TSS is more like the intended result of her stepping down, that she's remembered but not constantly solicited for help.

The main theme I gathered from the Cult of Althena was that, by this time, Althena would not expect humans to sacrifice all their livelihood for her; rather, the only time that happened was when it was humans using the free-form religion behind Althena to their own selfish ends. In other words, humans in EB weren't supposed to be Althena-dependent; they were only tricked into being so because of the Cult (not to mention a Fake Althena). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

But nevertheless, they were. They weren't responding to the extortion with "I'm independent! I'll go out gathering herbs to heal myself instead of doing so with expensive prayer!", they were paying up. In TSS they didn't have statues in the towns, only a bit of HP restoration when you went in, while in EB they whine about not having their free statue available.