Next Lunar handheld title.

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Alunissage
Goddess
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by Alunissage »

I don't think he was referring to Nintendo there, just the generic "they" who made Genesis/Dragon Song. And by the way, the major flaws in DS are entirely present in the Japanese one (other than bad translation, obviously), so there's no reason to single out the American production.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Other than the inconsistency in names, and the proofreading errors, the translation actually wasn't that bad. Content-wise there wasn't much to improve upon. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yeah, perhaps I should have been more general. I was thinking largely of the inconsistencies in names and infelicities like "go to Cathedral of Althena".

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:Yeah, perhaps I should have been more general. I was thinking largely of the inconsistencies in names and infelicities like "go to Cathedral of Althena".

Yeah, things like that are usually picked up with play-tests. Proper names are usually programmed with strings, so you'll translate all the place and individual names in a separate place. So, it can be ambiguous where the articles are supposed to be.

Though, looking through Lunar DS's dialogue, there weren't any strings used. It just had to be translated / transliterated consistently. KF

(EDIT: At least, I think strings is the proper term for it.)
~Kizyr (they|them)

Nanashi
Saith Pirate

Post by Nanashi »

Nope. strings are used in programming to represent variables that contain text data... when they programmed it, they probably made each line of text into a string... Which would account for the inconsistencies...

Dunkleheit
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dunkleheit »

I believe you used the correct term, Kizyr. Whether you are correct or not though has yet to be seen.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Actually strings is what you use to fly a kite with. Moving on.

The question, however, is if you put out another Lunar game on a portable would anyone actually buy it this time?

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

AbsoluteAlex
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AbsoluteAlex »

Has anyone hear anything from Ubisoft about if they are going to do another one. I dont know if it was just me, but DS seemed ......rushed. If I were to make another one, I would probably take a lot more time fixing little things, and maybe ask Lunar fans for input. That would be in the early stages. Also, allow players to target enemies. I often get tactical minded when I play RPGs, like I want to defeat the enemy in the shortest amount of turns/attacks. DS frustrated me in that aspect. Also one big thing I would add is the amount of dialog present. I loved SSS and EB just talking to people and hearing what they have to say. I definately would like more of that. All in all I would probably just take more time, to brainstorm things, and take input from people. Timeless classics are not made overnight.
I wasn't born to fit in, I was born to stand out

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well, the question isn't whether Ubisoft will do another one, but whether or not Game Arts (or whoever it is these days) will do another one.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I was going to respond with that comment myself, but then I thought he might have been referring to the rushed localization Ubi did, since that's what Kiz and I were talking about above. Of course, the other comments were about development, which would certainly be on the other side of the ocean. Few localizers are going to make those kind of changes (like being able to target enemies); WD probably would have been the only ones who'd try.