LunarHope is down after seven years!

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

LunarHope is down after seven years!

Post by Kizyr »

http://www.lunarhope.com/

Bah, they've had to shut down. They're only keeping a few things online as of now, until the contract with the server's over at the end of the month.

I'm at work now, but when I get home I'll get to translating this and giving a news update. So expect more details tonight. KF
Last edited by Kizyr on Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Kizyr (they|them)

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

That is quite terrible.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'll be interested in knowing why. That's the last real Lunar website on the Japanese side of things.
-G1

Agawa
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Agawa »

That's quite sad, I liked that place. It seems like all the major Lunar places (or at the very least, LunarEB and now LunarHope) are shutting down. At least we still have LunarNET, and that's a good thing.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I have no prospects to ever shut LunarNET down. I've got too much time invested in it. So no worries there.

It does seem lots of big Lunar sites have shut down in recent years though.
-G1

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

GhaleonOne wrote:I have no prospects to ever shut LunarNET down. I've got too much time invested in it. So no worries there.

It does seem lots of big Lunar sites have shut down in recent years though.

I really hope it has nothing to do with Dragon Song being so poorly received that they began to believe another great addition to the series would probably not be made.

I believe i read an interview in a Nintendo Power that said that the future of Lunar would decide if they made the four heroes game or not.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

What a shame. I've only been there a couple of times, and I don't know Japanese, and the last time I've been there was a couple of years ago... but still, it's a real shame.

Still, here is an idea... which I doubt would work :P Still, wouldn't it be possible to create a Japanese version of Lunar-net using sub-domains? Like jp.lunar-net.com ?

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Man, that sucks. It always looked like a good site, from what little I dug around in it.

The NP interview is probably posted on the site.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Still, here is an idea... which I doubt would work Razz Still, wouldn't it be possible to create a Japanese version of Lunar-net using sub-domains? Like jp.lunar-net.com ?

Not really worth it. Sure it could be done, but consider how much translation work it would take to convert the site into another language. Even for someone like Kiz, that would be an EXTREMELY large undertaking. Then you have to think about how all the screenshots are in English, things of that nature. Plus, would it get used? Likely, not enough even close enough to being worth it.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Ok, first order of business: check the main page. The LunarHope Closing is the latest news update. The translation of the statement is in the Encyclopedia section.

GhaleonOne wrote:
Still, here is an idea... which I doubt would work Razz Still, wouldn't it be possible to create a Japanese version of Lunar-net using sub-domains? Like jp.lunar-net.com ?

Not really worth it. Sure it could be done, but consider how much translation work it would take to convert the site into another language. Even for someone like Kiz, that would be an EXTREMELY large undertaking. Then you have to think about how all the screenshots are in English, things of that nature. Plus, would it get used? Likely, not enough even close enough to being worth it.

I do have about 3500 screenshots from each of the Sega CD games, English and Japanese. All in GIF form, so they're rather tiny.

But yeah, it'd be an insane amount of work to translate the site over to Japanese, particularly considering that Japanese is not my native language. (I actually hate translating... There are just certain circumstances where I'll put that aside.) Then, you'd have to advertise it among the Japanese Lunar fanbase, and get folks to start posting or using it, and that's another problem altogether. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Aye, I figured that would be the responce, and I can't blame you either. I just wanted to throw the bone out there :P Though one thing I didn't think of was a Japanese forum base, that alone would take a lot of man power to moderate, which I'm sure would be nearly impossible unless you get Japanese admins.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

What I'm curious about is if they have an active message board, chatting, etc on that site. If so, I hope they find an alternate venue to continue in.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I checked periodically, and it seemed to dwindle to nothing after Genesis was released. There were only a trickle of posts on the Lunar board since the beginning of the year.
-G1

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Agawa wrote:That's quite sad, I liked that place. It seems like all the major Lunar places (or at the very least, LunarEB and now LunarHope) are shutting down. At least we still have LunarNET, and that's a good thing.

I've never been told, so you can you tell me why LunarEB shut down?

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

My understanding (assuming I'm remembering correctly) is that the owner didn't have the time to upkeep it. Imperial Knight can probably give more details though.
-G1

irvine
Saith Pirate

Post by irvine »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:
Agawa wrote:That's quite sad, I liked that place. It seems like all the major Lunar places (or at the very least, LunarEB and now LunarHope) are shutting down. At least we still have LunarNET, and that's a good thing.

I've never been told, so you can you tell me why LunarEB shut down?

Tell me to plss!