Whats your favourite Lunar

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
AbsoluteAlex
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by AbsoluteAlex »

TSS for me definately. It was probably the first RPG I have ever played and the music just blew me away. I had both Lunars for the Sega CD. TSS had a nostalgic significance for me as the main character and I share the same name and also look alike. (We both got the green eyes too) I never liked my eyes until after that game.

A
I wasn't born to fit in, I was born to stand out

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I really think the Lunar series helped to up the ante as far as RPG plotting goes. There weren't many games made prior to these that had such deeply-involving plots. Not to mention the excellent characterization.

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

Mega CD Lunar~Eternal Blue is far and away the winner for me, for so many reasons. It was the very first RPG I ever owned, for starters...I had pondered getting FFVI and Chrono Trigger, which I'd played at a friend's house and loved, but thought I should give this one a shot, especially since it would justify my Mega CD for more than just Sonic CD. I was mesmerized, and while I'm not one to replay RPG's because of the time it takes, I think I've finished this game some 4 and a half times, in between overseeing two friends play it whenever they came over and my own replays.

Playing the sequel first was great, an experience I bet few people have unfortunately, since there was all this mystique and conversation of past history...I could almost sympathize with Hiero better in this regard since the stories of old were as distant to me as to him. Hearing about the evil Ghaleon, the romance between Arhes and Luna, the flying Vheen, and old adventure secondhand made Lunar seem like such a real world to me.

Of course, even though I can list 17 things about the EB remake I didn't like in my head, it's still a superb game, but for me, the Mega CD version has surprisingly superior animation (Gonzo drew these odd, square/box-like faces for the characters in the EB remake that weren't in the SSS remake), great music instrumentation (though I like the remake's extended pieces), the cooler Star Dragon/Ziek the Risen/Phantom Sentry, and incredible dungeons (Zophar's Castle is the best RPG final dungeon I've ever seen, hands down, even over FFVI).

Remake differnces aside, EB moves me with its wonderful story and the best score Iwadare has ever composed, and Hiero's determination and Lucia's humanization move me to this day. Phew, I could talk about how much I love Eternal Blue for days, but I'm sure a lot of people here don't need convincing that it's a great game! If only more people knew about it...

MC RaZaR
Meryod Yokel

Post by MC RaZaR »

I've only played Lunar Legends and I love it.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

You've only played Lunar Legend? You really haven't experienced the true glory of the Lunar series. Get to it!

Erasculio
Reza Thief

I was thinking about this the other day...

Post by Erasculio »

I have yet to play Lunar:SSS, but right now my list would be:

1) Lunar 2: Eternal Blue

2) Lunar: The Silver Star

3) Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete

(It looks a lot like the first EB, and some places have even the same, exact dialogue. It has better cutscenes, but somehow I still like the older one more.)

4) Lunar Legend (a very "light" game, it was kind of too easy with the right items, and sometimes too bothersome without them - I couldn't take more random encounters, I swear, even if I like that system more than SSS and EBC's one).

Erasculio

mr. farenheit
Saith Pirate

Post by mr. farenheit »

I personally like silver star story and eternal blue both the same amount.Though they have thier streighnths and weaknesses though.Lunar 1 was easier,And lunar 2 had that horrable save system where you had to sacrafice magic points just to save.Lunar 1 and 2 had both equally good characters,though lunar 2 had ruby,which is my favorate character of all the lunar games.And that is judging from the sega cd versions.I haven't got to play the psx/saturn remakes yet.But if I do come across them,I will defanatelly play them.Though I do have lunar legend though.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I wish people would quit whining about the pay for saves thing. It's not MP, it's M Exp, and the only time it's even really a consideration is at the beginning...and you start the game wtih 30 M Exp before you do anything so you can save right away. The amount of required M goes up very slowly compared to the amounts you're gaining from battle. And did EB have checkpoints too?

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Alunissage wrote:I wish people would quit whining about the pay for saves thing. It's not MP, it's M Exp, and the only time it's even really a consideration is at the beginning...and you start the game wtih 30 M Exp before you do anything so you can save right away. The amount of required M goes up very slowly compared to the amounts you're gaining from battle. And did EB have checkpoints too?

My sentiments exactly. And yes, it had checkpoints.

Maybe we should start whining about needing to find a silly "save point" in certain other games?

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I hated FF7 because of the check points. Any games with check points I hated because of that. They where never around when you needed to save, so you often had to suffer pausing the game to go to sleep instead of having to play another 50 billion hours to get to a freak save point.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Uh, what? I'm not talking about save points. In TSS and apparently EB as well, at a game over you had the option of reloading from "checkpoint" as well as your saved files. The game automatically saved your progress temporarily at certain points, so if your last save was really far back you could load the game's last auto-save, the checkpoint. It was a favor to people forgot to save. You could still save just about anywhere, of course.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Be very glad to have Lunar SSS for Sega CD!

Post by localflick »

You people who had a Sega CD early enough to get LSSS are very lucky. I got mine in 1996, and didn't know the game existed. A friend loaned me his copy of Eternal Blue, which hooked me on the Lunar series. Paying for saves wasn't much of a problem. However, one day my Sega CD's RAM decided to stop working, and I lost my save. So I returned his game and was Lunar-less for years. :cry: This was about the time when Gamestores (Funcoland) stopped carrying Sega CD titles entirely.

Somehow I never saw the PSX version of LSSS, but spotted EB in a Best Buy one day and nearly wet myself. I searched for a long time trying to find a copy of LSSS, and didn't get it until the re-issue came out without the cool goodies. Thankfully a friend of mine who worked at a Gamestop helped me make it "complete."

If you have a Sega CD copy of Lunar 1, cherish it! We weren't all so lucky! Even now those games cost around $40 on e-bay. Consider yourself very lucky!

...but I prefer Lunar EB since that's the one I've had a history with.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Just to clarify/nitpick, it's not LSSS on the SegaCD, it's TSS. This becomes important when you're trying to be clear which version you're referring to, since they're so different. (Likewise, SSS is generally only used to refer to non-US games.) If you want to be general and not distinguish between originals and remakes, just say Lunar 1 or Lunar 2.

For me, by the way, it was the other way around. I first played TSS in about 1995-6, but didn't even know EB existed until 1999, when I saw it mentioned in the SSSC manual.

Erasculio
Reza Thief

Heh, good memories

Post by Erasculio »

Heh, the first time I played Lunar: The Silver Star, I had heard about how the Lunar series had two games. With all that talking about the Four Heroes, I thought TSS was the second one, and that the first one was about Dyne and Ghaleon :P .

Took me quite some time to figure it out, though. And my Sega CD has broken apart a long time ago, but I still have my TSS and EB CDs (argh, so many abreviations!) around here. Need to figure out something to do with them...

Erasculio

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

The SegaCD emulators have apparently gotten quite good, so you could play off your game discs that way.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Ohhhhhh, I see. Well, then in that case, I love auto-saves that coincide with save whenever you the heck you want too. ^_^

And if I remember correctly, the Sega CD Ram was never good.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

I've had to use an emulator for a while now. Gens is great!

Gens + a controller + a t.v. out cable = A very accurate Lunar experience!

You don't even have to pay for saves! It's also the only way I can play my import version of "Lunar 1" for the Mega CD. Good times. :wink:

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Heh, yeah, I guess it'd be difficult to use a converter cart while emulating.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

Pardon my newbishness, but what's a converter cart?

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

A (Genesis) cart that lets you play import MegaCD games on your SCD. It's how I played most of the Japanese EB.