Well this royally sucks...

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Iga
Iluk Crackpot
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Well this royally sucks...

Post by Iga »

My EBC Disc 1 has a bad circular scratch that runs about...roughly from a quarter to a third of the circumference of the disc. I tried the standard rinsing and drying the disc off to see if that would help at all, but the disc still won't read. I've heard of "resurfacing discs," but I don't know exactly what purpose that serves and if it would help a scratch like this(the scratch doesn't look too deep, but deep enough that it won't read anymore). Is there any way to help save my disc so I won't have to hunt for and buy the whole game again just to get a new Disc 1?

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Why not own multiple instances of a Lunar? Ebay it. maybe you can expand on your disk art. that or piracy.

Iga
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Iga »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:Why not own multiple instances of a Lunar? Ebay it. maybe you can expand on your disk art. that or piracy.
Well sure, but I'd really like to take time to look into seeing if there's a possibility that I might be able to save the disc so I can avoid having to get it again on eBay. And IMO, PS1 piracy has too many steps involved for my lazy self to get into. :P

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:that or piracy.
Arrrrr matey, there be ill-legit booty on thar horizans.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

It wouldn't be piracy if he owned a copy of the game before hand, right? Or am I completely wrong? xD I don't know, I thought there was some kind of rule about that. :?
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Iga
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Iga »

LuNaRtIc wrote:It wouldn't be piracy if he owned a copy of the game before hand, right? Or am I completely wrong? xD I don't know, I thought there was some kind of rule about that. :?
Well, there is that. When you have a legit copy of a game, you can legally download it for archiving purposes, basically. But I don't feel like using my RAM/attention span on a ROM of the game. And games truly lose their feel on a keyboard(no, I'm not getting a USB controller either).

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

No, you CANNOT legally download it. You can make your own backup of your own software, but you can't download someone else's.

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

Okay, that's what I was thinking of. Thanks for clearing that up. :D
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Iga
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Iga »

Alunissage wrote:No, you CANNOT legally download it. You can make your own backup of your own software, but you can't download someone else's.
Oh, okay, I see. I only said as far as I knew, but yeah, thanks for clearing that up.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, it's technically not legal to download another copy, even if you own it, because it's not a backup of your specific copy. Ethically, I personally wouldn't see a problem with it. You paid for the game already. But it's still technically illegal.

And again, just to drive the point home. The piracy rule is not in effect so we can play moral police on forum members. It's in place for the legal safety of this site. Keep in mind, LunarNET has been the official site for the past two games in the series, and in the event any more games are released, we'd love to continue that trend. If we even hint that we condone piracy (and allowing people to suggest or even hint of allowing it is close enough to condoning it that we just don't want it here), that makes the site look bad, and can even spell legal troubles. So again, keep piracy talk off the forums.
-G1

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

theres a 99¢ disc repair kit at fye, i had a similar problem my ebc was scratched and wouldnt load cut scenes. the repair kit both fixes and helps prevent scratches and contains enough to do many discs. i recomend trying that before buying a new copy.

on the topic of royaly sucking my computers broken and if it seems like i have had bad grammer or have been posting one liners its because typing sucks on the wii

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

exigence wrote:on the topic of royaly sucking my computers broken and if it seems like i have had bad grammer or have been posting one liners its because typing sucks on the wii
...no, your posting looks exactly the same as it always does. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

Kizyr wrote:
exigence wrote:on the topic of royaly sucking my computers broken and if it seems like i have had bad grammer or have been posting one liners its because typing sucks on the wii
...no, your posting looks exactly the same as it always does. KF
i dont know weather to take that as a compliment or an insult.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

exigence wrote: i dont know weather to take that as a compliment or an insult.
Really? I mean... really? This IS Kizyr after all. Y'know, the man who has constantly criticized your grammar and typing? Maybe we should get some sort of forum scorecard for easy reference in this type of situation. 50 Bonus points for whomever creates one.

Also... I think I know what's wrong with your computer. The only thing that it could be is a fried Syntax Chip. That's the only problem that I could think of (of which I could think sounds too weird in this case... anyone agree?) that has the ability to create that many run-ons in your posts. Your last post makes it seem like your Wii's Homophone Chip is acting up. It's probably under warranty though.

I don't want to sound mean. However, I really think that this is something you should work on (again with ending a sentence with a preposition... at least I know when I'm making an "error"). It impedes your ability to communicate. I don't want to separate your ideas into something coherent. That's your job. You do this with punctuation. (I'm sure I made a horrible mistake in this post as is the law of all Internet grammar discussions.)

Disclaimer: Bonus points are not a real currency. Actual cash value is 1/1,000,000 cent.

Disclaimer 2: Werefrog is not responsible for any eye strain caused by the former disclaimer.[/i]
Last edited by Werefrog on Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

It could just be a statement of fact, you know. He's not saying it because he wants to annoy you; he's saying it to inform you that your posting from a computer (as you presumably did previously) looks no more grammatical and correct than from the Wii... in other words, that the problem is not with the means you're using of typing.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

Back to the disc, if you have a friend that has a CD resurfacer (like a Skip Dr.) they are very effective in fixing scratches like the one described.

You spray the disc with water and it sort of buffs the surface off of it removing a very thin layer of the plastic along with the scratch. Then you use a polishing cloth and it usually does the trick. If it's a bad scratch you can repeat the process a few times if necessary.

They also usually range from $10-$30 so if you can't borrow one, you may be better off using the money toward a new copy of the game unless you want to risk it. But it could pay off because then you'll have a working copy and a disc resurfacer.

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

i would not recomend the disc resurfacer. i have one called disc dr. it pretty much destroys the bottom of the disc, the disc works after that but it eats down to the silicone. any scratches after that and you might as well throw that disc away. if the cheap rrepair kit dosent work try taking it to a used cd or dvd store they have very nice expensive resurfacers that dont hurt the disc.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

From Penny-Arcade, I heard that boiling discs can sometimes work. It sounds weird thought.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Werefrog wrote:From Penny-Arcade, I heard that boiling discs can sometimes work. It sounds weird thought.
Water destroys CDs, heat destroys CDs. I find it hard to believe that the combination of both of those will somehow make a CD work better... KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

Kizyr wrote:
Werefrog wrote:From Penny-Arcade, I heard that boiling discs can sometimes work. It sounds weird thought.
Water destroys CDs, heat destroys CDs. I find it hard to believe that the combination of both of those will somehow make a CD work better... KF
Thats just crazy enough to work, if anyone has a junk cd try it i want to know now.