Question People????

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Question People????

Post by Guest »

Hey does anyone here know of any video games that are similar to Lunar ???

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

Similar in what ways?

Post by Guest »

Well it must have same ganra and be an anime! :D

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

Okay well while similar I think it's a great game with its own unique values so I would recommend

Wild Arms 1 (PS)

if you can I would probably wait for the remake

Wild Arms Altercode F

It should have anime cutscenes and be better in everyway

The first wild arms for the PS only had one anime scene and that was in the begining (an intro video). But still it was a great game.

Another game like Lunar would be Chrono Trigger? I think thats the name but its the remake for PS I know that it has anime drawings in it...I'm not sure if its cutscenes

and if you can stand to play a game without anime play Sukkodien 1 I spelt that wrong but its a great game as well.

But definatly Wild Arms 1...look into that

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Rather broad requirements. In addition to the ones he suggested (Chrono Trigger can be found in Final Fantasy Chronicles for the PS1, by the way), I'd also suggest trying to look for Chrono Cross, though if you mean anime in the way I think you do, it's more CG, as far as the cutscenes go. There's Xenogears as well, but I'd recommend checking out a couple of reviews on any game before you get it.

If you have another system, I'd also try Xenosaga, Growlanser, and some others like that. Really, the best bet, besides here, is to start searching. I wish I could say more, but I'm drawing a blank right now.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Grandia. Considering it's by many of the same folks that did Lunar.
-G1

Scorpioeyez
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Scorpioeyez »

If you can find copies of them (they were only released on Sega CD) Popful Mail and Vay were fairly similar I think and both were also released by Working Designs.

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

I think Grandia is the best bet since it's also by Game Arts and the second installment has several storyline similarities (among more superficial ones), probably because they shared the same writer.

The Chrono Trigger rerelease on PSX has brief anime cut scenes, though there is no voice acting. Vay is another choice, though the anime is more dated looking since it's for the Sega CD.

If you're willing to go further afield into action/RPG territory Popful Mail (Sega CD) was already mentioned and Magic Knight RayEarth (Saturn) is also a good choice for those who like anime cut scenes to go with the rest of the story.

Aside from those, though, the anime pickings are pretty slim. Xenogears does have anime scenes and is a traditional RPG, but story-wise it's about as far from Lunar as you can get. Some people like it, but I would not recommend it on account of someone liking Lunar since having anime scenes and being RPGs are probably the only two things they have in common. (If you like Neon Genesis Evangeleon though you'll probably like Xenogears.)

If you're willing to step away from anime to anime-like CG characters though, you really can't go wrong with Skies of Arcadia. It's a fairly modern RPG in terms of when it was released (you should still be able to find it for sale for GameCube in some places), but it's done in the old style of gameplay and storytelling sensibility. The mood of the game is much lighter and optimistic than most other games of the current generation.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

danth
Reza Thief

Post by danth »

Lufia. In terms of the love story and the gameplay, it's similar. There are no anime cutscenes, but it's the only game ever to have a similar emotional effect on me. It's also the only game ever that made me cry...
I want to go back.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

The Tales series is always worth a go. It's got anime FMVs (although there aren't nearly as many as there are in Lunar), and it has a cool real-time battle system that's been constantly evolving in every incarnation of the game. Look for Tales of Destiny, Tales of Destiny II, Tales of Symphonia, and the upcoming Tales of Legendia. To get anything else from the series, though, you'll have to import.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

The original Tales of Phantasia was absolutely incredible, too. There's the original Super Famicom version, but the PSX version has some great extras (including a new playable character). There's a GBA version based on the PSX remake, too.

I don't think it's ever come to the US. But I believe there's a translated ROM of the Super Famicom version. I still gotta recommend getting your hands on the PSX or GBA game, however. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Yeah, plus the real Tales of Destiny 2 and the recent Tales of Rebirth are also worth the import even if you can only understand a bit of Japanese. By the way, Tales of Destiny II in North America is actually Tales of Eternia in Japan.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

Pogi
Pao Hunter

Post by Pogi »

Grandia is kinda hard to find nowaday. So is Chrono Trigger
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're dumb than to speak and remove all doubt."

Broken_Halo
Burg Farmer

Post by Broken_Halo »

Pogi wrote:Grandia is kinda hard to find nowaday.

I got mine in the bargan bin at EB ^_^
I saw it and just had to pick it up, played it for a hour or so and know I'm going to love it, but been so busy with work and college I haven't been able to play yet, hell, i pickedup Dragon Warrior 7 and Xenosga on the same day, because it was buy 2 get 1 free, haven't played them any further than a sample either, I never even finished the epilog of Eternal Blue yet.... So little time....

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

And I'm still seeing copies of Final Fantasy Chronicles, which includes Chrono Trigger. Greatest Hits, but still.

AbsoluteAlex
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AbsoluteAlex »

You know what was a good RPG also? Star Ocean: Second Story for the PSX. I don't recall if it had any cut scenes in it, but that was just a great game. The story is great and you will actually care about the characters in the game.
I wasn't born to fit in, I was born to stand out

NallOne
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by NallOne »

AbsoluteAlex wrote:You know what was a good RPG also? Star Ocean: Second Story for the PSX. I don't recall if it had any cut scenes in it, but that was just a great game. The story is great and you will actually care about the characters in the game.

While I agree that Star Ocean: The Second Story is a great game, I must say I've never seen anyone mention it for story nor characters. The Star Ocean series is known for it's gameplay, not it's storyline. That is not to say that the storyline is horrible, but it isn't anything spectacular either. A far cry from Lunar, at any rate.

- Mike

Ruby
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Question People????

Post by Ruby »

Divine Dragon wrote:Hey does anyone here know of any video games that are similar to Lunar ???

Personally I think that Skies of Arcadia has a very similar feel to playing a Lunar game.

Audric
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Audric »

Xenogears is a pretty cool game you could try that

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'm going to second Ruby's choice of Skies of Arcadia. It was a different type of story, but it just felt Lunary.
-G1