I love Japan

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
JediLeroy
Lostest Boy
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

I love Japan

Post by JediLeroy »

So, I don't think I mentioned this here, but my family and I moved to Japan a couple of months ago. We're living in the middle of the seto inland sea on an island with a population of 150. Crazy stuff. So, anyway, I was at a recycle shop in Innoshima (southern peninsula of Hiroshima) browsing through old stuff, and I found both Saturn LUNARs for 100 yen each (about a buck). I can't believe it.

I bought a used Saturn in great condition for about 10 bucks. There are heaps of them in the junk bins of stores like Hard Off (great name). I found Saturn Snatcher and the Shining Force games for 500 yen a piece. Not bad.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: I love Japan

Post by Kizyr »

The Book-Off in downtown Hiroshima (near the baseball stadium) is really large. You should check it out.

You're in a real nice area of Japan, by the way. Have you made a trip to any of the islands? Miyajima is really beautiful.

Why did you move out there, anyway? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

He moved out there to convert all those heathens to Mormonism!

Awesome that your out there though. It is a dream of mine to do likewise someday. Do you have any pictures yet?

JediLeroy
Lostest Boy

Post by JediLeroy »

The Book-Off in downtown Hiroshima (near the baseball stadium) is really large. You should check it out.

You're in a real nice area of Japan, by the way. Have you made a trip to any of the islands? Miyajima is really beautiful.

Why did you move out there, anyway? KF
I'll be sure to check out the Book-Off next time I'm out in Hiroshima. I still haven't been downtown.

I came to Japan to learn Japanese. I took some Japanese classes in university (for my linguistics degree), but needed to live in Japan to really learn anything. I came out here as an English ALT through the JET Programme and have been here for a little over two months (I plan to stay two years). My placement on the little fishing village of Uoshima is good in that I don't get much exposure to English (other than at home with my wife and daughter).

It's incredibly beautiful out here. Every weekend we take a ferry out to Imabari (two ferries, actually) to go to church. It's neat to see all the ship-building yards and to watch the gigantic vessels cut through the sea. The islands are so green and natural.

Every couple weeks we go to Innoshima to shop at the Saty there, but that closes in a week. I've got the most rural placement in the whole JET Programme. It's a blessing and a curse. We're extremely isolated, but I feel pretty close to the people. We don't have a store on the island, so we have to shop elsewhere and carry all our stuff back on a granny-cart. But it's kind of cool to be a legend on JET: the guy on the tiny island with only 2 students.

I've got a blog where I post some of my experiences, along with video of the recent mikoshi festival (and some other things) at axelsbetterthanskate.blogspot.com. I've got some photos posted at jessenstef.spaces.live.com (my wife keeps that one going).

WD, you should come out here if you ever get the chance. It's awesome. I'll tell ya, though--paying a hundred bucks a week to travel two hours each way by ferry (during typhoon season) sucks pretty bad. We feel fortunate that there's a church at all, though.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I'm planning a trip next year to Japan. Not sure exactly when yet (preferably early summer, before it gets hot and my work starts to get heavier). Maybe I could stop by and visit for a day?

So far the only places I'm sure I'll be are Nagoya and Kyoto, since I know folks there. But I'm wanting to go to either Kyushu or Shikoku, since I haven't been before, and Hiroshima would be on the way to the former. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

I'll be in Japan next week for 2 weeks! I tried to get a position as an ALT but I got turned down a lot. D: After speaking with my Japanese teacher she told me that in general they don't like hiring people who majored in Art or Science.

Sucks to be me. D:
-Nobi

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

I hear that the only requirement for teaching English over there is to be a native speaker of English. That'd explain the hilarious signs.

Wait...church? What religion?

JediLeroy
Lostest Boy

Post by JediLeroy »

I'm planning a trip next year to Japan. Not sure exactly when yet (preferably early summer, before it gets hot and my work starts to get heavier). Maybe I could stop by and visit for a day?
Let me know if you come! The bridges that connect Honshu to Shikoku are about 45 minutes away from me (by ferry). Early Summer would be good for me, since our new baby will be old enough for me to get some sleep!

B_G, I'm Mormon. Not a lot of us out here in Japan.

Nobiyuki77, I don't know about that assessment. A lot of artsy people get on JET. I find that it's totally random who gets on. Some perfectly qualified people get denied, while some make me wonder if they can even tie their own shoe.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

JediLeroy wrote:
Let me know if you come! The bridges that connect Honshu to Shikoku are about 45 minutes away from me (by ferry). Early Summer would be good for me, since our new baby will be old enough for me to get some sleep!

B_G, I'm Mormon. Not a lot of us out here in Japan.

Nobiyuki77, I don't know about that assessment. A lot of artsy people get on JET. I find that it's totally random who gets on. Some perfectly qualified people get denied, while some make me wonder if they can even tie their own shoe.
And you're getting the language down. Imagine that. Moving to JAPAN and then your doorbell rings and it's mormons. I'd stand there astonished for about 30 seconds and then I'd start banging my head off of the wall. :lol: