What About Lunar Eternal Blue Remake Again???

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
MiaOne
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: What About Lunar Eternal Blue Remake Again???

Post by MiaOne »

Ungh I'm still angry about Lunar: DS. Ignatius. What a joke. If they remade that they should really think about making an entirely new villain for that game. I kind of felt on some levels that DS was a really bad remake of TSS (again) hidden behind a new title, with "new" looking characters, and vital elements missing to give the illusion that it took place WAY before TSS/SSSC/LL/ETC. Ungh.
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Fundamentally the game felt nothing like Lunar at all. You can't throw a pink-haired Althena into the mix as the only solidifier along with the notion of dragons and call it LUNAR. The only difference in making a connection is how Silver Star Harmony seems to follow the design style more of Dragon Song, but done much better.

Do you know what happens to poop that is remade? It turns into diarrhea. Lunar: Diarrhea Song needs flushing.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

But what makes a game Lunar? The stories themselves have never been anything all that special, though the twists in EB were good the first time around. Really, it's mostly made up of nice characterization and excellent presentation of the world (in lore, etc.), both of which are aspects that could easily be injected into a remake. As I said, the plot just feels like a sketch in its current state, and a sketch without a proper ending at that, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't easily expand upon it and make it good. I don't really see anything explicitly wrong with the existing ideas behind the plot.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

The game is uninteresting because nothing was fleshed out, the character development is minimal at best, and the villains are filler. Gameplay needs complete overhauling, and the game would have to be remade from the ground up. The time would be much better spent working on the future of the series.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Yes, it all needs overhauling but ... that's what a remake should be, in my opinion. As much as I like updates like Silver Star Harmony, I think a massive remake for something like Dragon Song would be even more exciting. It's what they did for Tales of Destiny, and it became one of the best entries in the series. And as much as I'd like Lunar 3, I'd almost rather they repair something like Dragon Song with a major overhaul so that the series as a whole can be more enjoyable.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

You seriously did not just say that....

WhiteKnightLeo
Red Dragon Priest

Post by WhiteKnightLeo »

Lunar Eclipse wrote: I think a massive remake for something like Dragon Song would be even more exciting. And as much as I'd like Lunar 3, I'd almost rather they repair something like Dragon Song with a major overhaul so that the series as a whole can be more enjoyable.
I will pretend I did not read this lol
Just let that game be the black sheep and be done with it

MiaOne
Dragonmaster

Post by MiaOne »

Silver Phoenix wrote:Do you know what happens to poop that is remade? It turns into diarrhea. Lunar: Diarrhea Song needs flushing.
Agreed.
Lunar: Dragon Song sucked

Nicole Reannin Elgan-Moore
We will always remember...

fates
Red Dragon Priest

Post by fates »

I dunno, I think the pre-sale numbers in the US, maybe a EB remake might seem more plausible to Gungho/Gamearts/whoeverisinchargeofthosedecisionsinJapan...

Maybe.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Eternal Blue is also a much larger game, so it's likely that certain things may be cut from the game to fit on the capacity of a UMD. This is after the graphic and music upgrade.

It would be nice to have the pair of remakes on PSP, but after that Lunar needs to get it's ass back on a console in a major way.

fates
Red Dragon Priest

Post by fates »

For what it's worth, it may not be surprising to see Lunar choose handheld for a brand new installment. Dragon Quest did it (on the DS), and the game became the highest selling game of the franchise (4.13 million copies sold in Japan, last I checked)

But I'd imagine Lunar 2 would have to happen now if 3 is ever to happen. It would be odd for Lunar 1 to be out and they suddenly say "HEY LOOK HERE COMES 3!!!"

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I just don't want the series confined to handhelds because it limits the scope of the games. I hate small screens too!

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Silver Phoenix wrote:Eternal Blue is also a much larger game, so it's likely that certain things may be cut from the game to fit on the capacity of a UMD. This is after the graphic and music upgrade.
I seriously doubt it would have problems fitting. There're games I'd consider much "bigger" on the system. Look at titles like Jean d'Arc and Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2.
Silver Phoenix wrote:It would be nice to have the pair of remakes on PSP, but after that Lunar needs to get it's ass back on a console in a major way.
Lunar hasn't really even had an incarnation that warrants anything more than something at the level of today's handhelds. That's not to say they couldn't, but I don't see what would be so bad about keeping it to a handheld so that it retains a level of 2-D charm that's typically not accepted on the major consoles these days. Plus, handhelds in general have been much more successful for RPGs this generation.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Handhelds limit what can be done with the game. If they want to really update the series with all of the bells and whistles a console is the better avenue. Most companies have stuck with making rpgs on handhelds this generation because it's cheaper for them, which is also another reason for a lot of mediocre games. They're not trying to do much in the way of progression.

I haven't played either of the games you mentioned, and I never got into the Tales series because it seems to be much too action oriented for my tastes.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Silver Phoenix wrote:Most companies have stuck with making rpgs on handhelds this generation because it's cheaper for them, which is also another reason for a lot of mediocre games. They're not trying to do much in the way of progression.
They've stuck to handhelds because they're more financially successful, so there's no incentive for "progression" (which in this case really only refers to graphics and quantity of voice acting since that's about all a console has to offer above and beyond a handheld experience for basic JRPGs like Lunar nowadays) when you're spending more to sell fewer copies. I just don't think you're going to find a console bloated with RPGs like the PSX/PS2 until they regain popularity, particularly when we're talking about a niche series like Lunar.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Silver Phoenix wrote:Handhelds limit what can be done with the game. If they want to really update the series with all of the bells and whistles a console is the better avenue. Most companies have stuck with making rpgs on handhelds this generation because it's cheaper for them, which is also another reason for a lot of mediocre games. They're not trying to do much in the way of progression.
:::claps::: well said! Lunar 3 deserves to be a console game.
Silver Phoenix wrote:I haven't played either of the games you mentioned, and I never got into the Tales series because it seems to be much too action oriented for my tastes.
Now you are truly missing out the Tales series is great. It's action oriented in the fighting style but it really keeps the fighting from getting tedious and boring. Personally I really enjoy the storyline in the Tales series.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I think it's more because whatever Tales game I tried just didn't appeal to me, or maybe it was Star Ocean on PS2. If Tales of Vesperia had been brought to the PS3 stateside I may have looked into it. I just miss my old turn-based rpgs like Lunar, and it's probably why it's my favorite series.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Fair enough Silver Pheonix. =o) I think it might be worth it to give Tales of the Abyss a go, it was a pretty good game. Cliche sure but most RPG's are.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

There's so many damn Tales games that they should just make one called "Tales of Tales." You heard it here first!

Was Tales of Phantasia different then what came after it style wise, or does it all follow the same formula? I have no idea which are really the stellar games, and I would still end up hating them because of the gameplay.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

I'm hoping someone else replies to this because I haven't played Phantasia. The only tales games I have played are Destiny, Legendia, Abyss, Symphony, Vesperia and DotNW.
Last edited by Monde Luna on Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.