What About Lunar Eternal Blue Remake Again???

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Nitemares
Saith Pirate
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

What About Lunar Eternal Blue Remake Again???

Post by Nitemares »

hey first off i'm new to the boards, but been coming to this website on and off for a few years to get updates, i've also been playing the lunar series ever since it first came out on sega cd in the 90's.

but my question is why don't they remake eternal blue for the gameboy or psp instead of ANOTHER remake of silver star story, they already have one for gameboy.

don't get me wrong, i think it's great that the series is still alive the way it is with remakes, but why only silver star getting 2 remakes for portable?

i have and recently played again (first time in years) the original silver star and eternal blue on sega cd and by far out of all remakes, silver star and eternal blue are the best on playstation, more story, but the sega versions are fun.

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Re: What About Lunar Eternal Blue Remake Again???

Post by Sonix »

Well you usualy remake the original one before remaking iis sequel. I guess they only remade TSS on GBA and never got to EB. We might see EB remake on PSP if SSH is successful... or maybe even Lunar 3? Who knows.
Last edited by Sonix on Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Justinzero
Lostest Boy

Post by Justinzero »

Sonix, is right. The more they sell, the more of a chance we'll see sequels. That is why its been so long since anything came out, because Lunar DS wasn't as.... favorable, as we'd have liked it to be.

I ordered the Japanese copy, mostly for the pack in cd, but I'm also planning on snagging the NA release.

Kaiya_Sky
Meryod Yokel

Post by Kaiya_Sky »

I hope we get an Eternal Blue remake, it would be nice to have both for the psp.
Im pretty sure SSH will do well, probably ever Lunar fan will be getting a copy along with people who want to play it and never got a chance, and people who have no clue what they're getting them self's in to.

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

The cynic in me says it's simply because SS outsold EB (by a significant margin as I recall) and GameArts figures they can simply make more money by remaking SS over and over.

fates
Red Dragon Priest

Post by fates »

I really don't think EB will be remade, not with the lukewarm reception SSH got.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I think with the PSP being flooded with all of the rpgs it could have hurt SSH. Instead of spending a little extra time and money they could have released this game on a console even if it has traditional 2D style. The problem is, Lunar was never much of a marketed brand so outside of hardcore fans it just never sold extremely well to the casual audience.

I'm sure Cross Edge on PS3 sold better than Lunar:SSH on PSP, and that game is 2D and very mediocre. It has some great music and characters from all different companies though. Let's hope Lunar:SSH gets some recognition here in the states and GameArts realizes that the west is their new market.

Will it happen? I doubt it.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

fates wrote:I really don't think EB will be remade, not with the lukewarm reception SSH got.
Just curious, why do you consider it to have received a lukewarm reception?

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

they sold something like 10k units or like 33% (or was it something like 13%) of what they expected on the opening weekend (or was it week?). So it's a flop, but it could make up earnings in the long run.

The reason the first sales make or break a game is because when a game is released it is generally at that moment when interest in the title has peaked. So, bad sales = units sitting on shelves that probably wont ever be bought until they're thrown into the bargain bin.

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

Aaron wrote:[Lunar] thrown into the bargain bin.
Not if I can help it! ...

:cry:
Some of the answers in this post are made of frozen lose with whipped failsauce topping and suck sprinkles......

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

It sold ~12k first week (SSH), which is around 60% of their first shipment.

And you know, maybe the whole reason no one buys SSH is... the game itself. It is, afterall, the 3rd remake already (+ a port).
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I think what GameArts/GungHo doesn't understand is that people want a "new" game in the series, not a re-skinned version of the same game regardless of it's bells and whistles. Instead of wasting time on the atrocious Dragon Song they could have been focusing on a Four Heroes game in full and a sequel to Eternal Blue to follow.

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

But for Dragon Song one of the few things I liked about it was the art. I think the characters are gorgeously drawn, and very rich. But When I look at the new Lunar SSH art I don't like it. I don't know who they used but their style makes everyone have these were concave faces. I don't like it.

Also, I must be a fanatic but I really do enjoy the remakes. The only Lunar game I didn't like was Lunar Dragon Song. But I agree with you, if the series is to survive it needs a new series of games. Where is Lunar 3?

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Lunar 3 is in the same place it's always been.... our dreams.

They did take aspects from Dragon Song and use them better in SSH. Larger character sprites, isometric views, etc. I don't think even if Dragon Song were remade it would be a good game, because the story pretty much sucked. You could fix all the battle issues and weapons breaking but it just doesn't have a good foundation aside from the Lunar name itself.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Imperial Knight wrote:The cynic in me says it's simply because SS outsold EB (by a significant margin as I recall) and GameArts figures they can simply make more money by remaking SS over and over.
1996 SSS (on Saturn) 200,035
1999 EB (on Playstation) 53,983

The evidence is in your favor, IK. I'd like to see figures for EB on Saturn, but just finding these wasn't exactly easy. In regards to how EB hasn't made it to handheld thus far, I'd like to mention how Lunar Legend apparently was the last game Media Rings made before bankrupting in 2007.

Also, there is a lot of pessimism in this thread, and some others lately. Do we need another cute animal thread to help us keep our spirits up? :mrgreen:
「まあいいけど。」

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

Lunar EB sold 120k on Saturn.
And both Saturn SSSC's sold a little over 200k.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Where do those stats come from, Sonix? Also, for reference, I kept looking and found these numbers:

Lunar Eternal Blue - 1st Week - 55608?
Lunar Silver Star Story (SAT) - 1st Week - 115343 - Famitsu Top 30 - 200035 - VGChartz 10 Week - 219967
Lunar Silver Star Story MPEG - 1st Week - 8346 - Famitsu Top 30 - 8346
Mahou Gakuen Lunar - 1st Week - 15999 - Famitsu Top 30 - 15999
Lunar Silver Star Story (PS) - 1st Week - 25311 - Famitsu Top 30 - 44802 - VGChartz 10 Week - 61372
Lunar 2 Eternal Blue (SAT) - 1st Week - 75107 - Famitsu Top 30 -90832 - VGChartz 10 Week -144750
Lunar 2 Eternal Blue (PS) - 1st Week - 26165 - Famitsu Top 30 - 53983
Lunar Legend - 1st Week - 7488 - Famitsu Top 30 - 11215
Lunar Genesis - 1st Week - 7705 - Famitsu Top 30 - 24673
「まあいいけど。」

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

ghaleon12
Meribian Merchant

Post by ghaleon12 »

I'm not unique in this but I'd love to see a L:EB remake. I only played through the PSX version once, so it'd be nice.

I was thinking about how I didn't like the changes to Ghaleon in the remakes. His looks, that fruity instrument he plays, how he wants to become a god ect. But I was thinking....... if they changed his role in SSSC, in the L:EB remake they could expand perhaps a lot of what Ghaleon does. I'd love if they made Ghaleon an even more central figure in L:EB.

I think in L:EB Hiro asks Ghaleon if he'd join the party, wouldn't it be cool if they had like an optional quest or something that triggered him joining you? Or maybe instead of Leo you could get Ghaleon somehow...

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Silver Phoenix wrote:I don't think even if Dragon Song were remade it would be a good game, because the story pretty much sucked. You could fix all the battle issues and weapons breaking but it just doesn't have a good foundation aside from the Lunar name itself.
I didn't mind the foundation much. My main issue is that it played like a foundation with minimal expansion upon the basic outline. I think it could be repaired, particularly if they decided to put in some actual relevant history, like the Cathedral of Althena breaking apart to rise as Vane, leaving the Goddess Tower behind or some such. Oh, and just appending an epilogue to resolve the issue of Ignatius would go quite a long way, I think.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II