Lunar DS... Poor quality?

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Nargrakhan
NPC
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lunar DS... Poor quality?

Post by Nargrakhan »

I went to the following page and noticed something bad...

http://store.ubi.com/item.jsp?item=16038&promo=mglunar

Now if you go to the last "sample image" on the page - the one that has a text box being said by Cherenkov - it shows the text with disturbing alignments. For example, it has the word "your" divided into "you-r" in two lines.

Please tell me that this is only a test screen, and the actual game will have the words edited together - not divided like this. It reeks of laziness and unprofessional polishing.

I have nothing by high hopes for the DS Lunar, but I hope the programmers have high standards for us gamers. I've never actually bought an Ubisoft title before, so this will be the first... and I hope it won't be the last.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I highly doubt they'd leave it like that. In fact, I'd be willing to bet money it's just sample screens, and not how the text will show up.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Text editing takes a lot of revision. It's usually one of the last things done, while getting the last bugs out.

Most every notice and release that's come out so far has come with a caveat explaining that all screens are from the work still-in-progress. That particular screenshot has been floating around for I think a month now, if not longer. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Spirit Icana
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Spirit Icana »

This sort of text misalignment is very new to me too. Every anticipated release of mine had early screenshots of the game looking as though it's ready to be released. Personally, I hope Ubisoft fixes both the text alignment AND the font before release.

The early screenshots of the game also hint to all the text being placed on the touchscreen. I really don't like this, but I doubt it will be fixed before release. I hope it proves better than what I'm expecting. I never was too fond of this kind of text set-up in the Legend of Zelda: Four Sword Adventures for the GameCube during Game Boy Advance linked play.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

It's only new because you're seeing preliminary screenshots. Text alignment isn't a problem in Japanese, so there's no need to have something to automatically wrap words. What you're seeing there is just the English text replacing the Japanese in the game's files themselves, but no changes to make sure the alignment is proper (so, it wraps text, but doesn't wrap words).

The US release is still a month and a half away. Don't sweat it. I don't see the problem with the font, though. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Spirit Icana
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Spirit Icana »

Kizyr wrote:The US release is still a month and a half away. Don't sweat it. I don't see the problem with the font, though. KF

Yeah, I'm sure your right. Ubisoft should patch things up before the game ships. As for the font, I'm thinking about the commas and some of the capital letters and how some letters are bolded or too big, and how the comas look different from another coma in the sentence before it.

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

Spirit Icana wrote:The early screenshots of the game also hint to all the text being placed on the touchscreen. I really don't like this, but I doubt it will be fixed before release. I hope it proves better than what I'm expecting. I never was too fond of this kind of text set-up in the Legend of Zelda: Four Sword Adventures for the GameCube during Game Boy Advance linked play.

There's a really, really big difference between GBA to GC connectivity and the DS when it comes to displaying certain things on just one of the screens. With the GBA and GC, you have to look away from the television and turn your head down to re-focus on a smaller display. With the DS, it pretty much looks like one long screen since the small hinge area is surprisingly unobtrusive. Games like Yoshi's Touch-And-Go had a nice flow of action between the two screens, for example.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II