Lunar Better

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
phyco126
Dragonmaster
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by phyco126 »

Jees, and here I thought you where talking about Tuvok off of Star Trek: Voyager :P

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

SSSFan
Red Dragon Priest
Location: in front of my computer, above my keyboard, at the lunarnet forum, in my house etc. etc.

Post by SSSFan »

What could have made the lunar games better.....geez. don't ask questions that hard. I really dunno. The storyline was perfect, the graphics never irritated me, the characters were great. There are few games I can't criticize, and this is one of them :D

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

What could have made the Lunar games better, well this varies from game to game. Lunar TSS could have used the presentation quality seen in EB. EB could have used faster loading times and a lower encounter rate and a more balenced battle per experience system. Lunar SSS could have used the TSS version of the back-story and qualifications for being a Dragonmaster (which in my opinion was substancially better), battle on the overworld (think Zelda 2 here people) the original dungeons, and music. Eternal Blue Remix could have used battles on the overworld, and the original dungeon designs (otherwise it's better than the original). I'm not going to get into the Lunar Walking/Magical School games :P

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

If we're going by game, I'll go off what Dan said.

I pretty much agree with Dan on most accounts, but to add to it, both remakes, Lunar Legend and Lunar DS needed the huge worlds seen in the originals. It seems the farther into the series we get, the smaller and less exploration we get. I thought Lunar was all about adventure? Not point and click... That's my biggest beef with the games since the remakes. EBC also could have used EB's boss battle difficulty (save Omni-Zophar who was fine). Poor Borgan...
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Also regarding EB-EBC changes, how about Azado? And the crystallized Hiro. I rather liked that part, and the redone Azado seemed kind of weak, although we did at least get another dungeon out of it. The giant statue was creepy, though.

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

Alunissage wrote:Also regarding EB-EBC changes, how about Azado? And the crystallized Hiro. I rather liked that part, and the redone Azado seemed kind of weak, although we did at least get another dungeon out of it. The giant statue was creepy, though.

The tediousness of Lunar EB was a problem, thats why I liked removing the crystal Hiro incident, it didn't advance the story along at all and was just another bump in the road that dragged things along. With the slow loading times, high encounter rates and tedious battles of the original Sega CD EB stuff like that just wasn't needed.
Last edited by DragonmasterDan on Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Agreed on all those accounts. I loved the original Azado. I liked the priest who was ousted in the remake, but other than that, I thought the whole idea of a "beast" running around town if you didn't buy the beads was a really nice touch.

And leaving out crystallized Hiro was bad too. That was one of my favorite scenes, and I think it did a lot for Ronfar character development especially.
-G1

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I pretty much have loved how all the games have been made so far (even Lunar Legend. I forgive it for its shortcomings because it was so crammed full of data on that poor little cart.)

I do have one major beef, though, and that's with the changes made to the story from TSS to SSSC.

One of the chief things that bothered me about the changes made to SSSC was that it changed who was responsible for the events of Lunar 2. TSS makes no mention of the "power of humanity," and we don't find out until EB about Althena's decision to end her life as a Goddess. However, in SSSC we are told that Althena came to her decision prior to Luna's birth. This lessens the relevance of Alex and Luna's story tremendously. Besides defeating Ghaleon, their actions now have no impact on Lunar's history; the big important stuff has now happened before either of them were born.

And the other thing that bothered me was that I preferred the dragon-murdering, village-enslaving, driven-mad-by-grief, full-on demented psychopath Ghaleon that we saw in TSS to the watered-down evil of SSSC Ghaleon. TSS painted a picture of a man who had been betrayed by his faith, and was driven mad by the loss of his closest friend, Dyne. In SSSC, his movites are completely changed, made almost noble, in that he believes he's acting in the greater good for the future of Lunar, by stepping up to rule after Althena has (in his mind) abandoned humanity. With the SSSC backstory, Ghaleon's actions are motivated by lack of belief in the power of humanity, and his redemption is that he learned his lesson when Alex and company defeated him. With the TSS backstory, his actions are motivated by a specific disagreement with how Althena has done business for years (relying on a Dragonmaster for protection), and he attempts to maliciously dethrone her. Thus, the chief difference between TSS Ghaleon and SSSC Ghaleon is that TSS Ghaleon overtly attacked the Goddess and attempted to replace her, while SSSC Ghaleon's actions are a misguided attempt at heroism in the face of the loss of Althena. They even toned down his evil actions (no murdering Quark, no enslaving Burg), thus completely turning him into the Diet Coke of evil.

And thus, when Ghaleon is redeemed in Lunar 2, it's a much less significant event with the SSSC backstory. He has simply learned that humanity does, indeed, have genuine power.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I had issues with SSSC.[/soapbox]

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Whoa!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he enslave the dragons? And use them to power his Grindery? Isn't there a specific scene that depicts them thus hooked up, and the party comments on how terrible it is to have this happen?

Undeniably, in SSSC what drove his character was different, but he was still a villain in the sense that he did terrible things.

I can't talk about the TSS Ghaleon too much, since I'd only be going second-handed, but... if that was Diet Ghaleon, they must've been using some pretty potent sweetener, IMO. ;)
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Well, I thought that the Dragons died because of their enslavement? Sure, Burg wasn't enslaved, but neither was Hobbiton :)

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Sonic# wrote:Whoa!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he enslave the dragons? And use them to power his Grindery? Isn't there a specific scene that depicts them thus hooked up, and the party comments on how terrible it is to have this happen?

Undeniably, in SSSC what drove his character was different, but he was still a villain in the sense that he did terrible things.

I can't talk about the TSS Ghaleon too much, since I'd only be going second-handed, but... if that was Diet Ghaleon, they must've been using some pretty potent sweetener, IMO. ;)

Gosh I haven't played TSS in many years. *seeing as I don't have a segaCD that works anymore* I don't remember him using the power of the dragons to power the grindery, but it is possible considering that is what Ghaleon did in Lunar Legend. (We all know how botched up Lunar Legend is though).

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

He was referring to SSSC. In TSS the Grindery ran on steam power.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Alunissage wrote:He was referring to SSSC. In TSS the Grindery ran on steam power.

Oh, sorry I've never played SSSC. I've only played TSSS & EB on segaCD. never the PSone versions. :oops:

SSSFan
Red Dragon Priest
Location: in front of my computer, above my keyboard, at the lunarnet forum, in my house etc. etc.

Post by SSSFan »

I never played the sega CD versions. I really want to, but where can I get a sega CD.....

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

SSSFan wrote:I never played the sega CD versions. I really want to, but where can I get a sega CD.....

Sega CD's are really hard to find ebay is probably your best bet. They have a few fairly cheap if you don't mind shipping from Britian.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Try Pawn Shops too. You can find cheap ones sometimes. Just make sure they work or that you can bring it back if it doesn't work well.

But really, if you've bought the games, you can just use a Sega CD emulator to play them.
-G1

SSSFan
Red Dragon Priest

Post by SSSFan »

oh yeah you're right. that's a much better way. It would be a pity when I should buy a whole console only for lunar because lunar's the only sega CD game I want to play. I should've thougt of that before :P . Thanks G1.

I don't think I can sign up at eBay 'cause I'm only 14 years old :(
maybe I can ask my parents to sign up :roll:

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I bought my SegaCD only for Lunar, pretty much. :P Though I also have Vay and Popful Mail.

Monde Luna, if you think Legend botched up the game, SSSC botched it first...except for Caldor Isle, the two are very similar.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Alunissage wrote: Monde Luna, if you think Legend botched up the game, SSSC botched it first...except for Caldor Isle, the two are very similar.

I would like to play SSSC sometime. I would like to see how different it is. And from what I have been reading here it sounds like the characters/character motives have changed a lot.

SSSFan
Red Dragon Priest

Post by SSSFan »

By the way, is an emulator legal when you just use it to play cd's from a console on your computer and not to play Roms?