Lunar babble and conjecture.

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Lunar babble and conjecture.

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

What's your favorite thing about Lunar?

The world itself. The culture and history of Lunar is quite fascinating to me.

Favorite scene?

Zophar's Descent. Still sends chills down my spine! XD

Favorite character(s)?

Ronfar is great comic relief and I'm quite fond of Luna.

What weaknesses does Lunar have/what missed the mark?

Retcons added in later installments are inconsistent and IMO degrade the great original work.

What would you like to see more of?

The Blue Star pre-Zophar.
-Nobi

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

Preface: I'm old and only like the old versions.

The geography. As a 14 year old kid I remember staring at the overworld maps of both games and wondering what these places looked like. I didn't have the internet to spoil anything so I played both games without having much of an idea what I was getting into. I remember seeing Meribia for the first time and getting lost in the frontier. That is impossible to do in SSSC. Both games had great worlds.

Favorite scene?

Lucia leaving Hiro behind on the Silver Star.

Favorite character(s)?

Hiro or Mia.

The remakes, EB in particular. Graphics looked blurry, water was terribly animated and the world was shrunk. Instead of making Meribia completely differant like TSS to EB they just kept it the same town with a few areas blocked off. Just felt lazy. Music was also worse in the remakes and was actually poorer quality. what else... oh!  Changing Quark's fate... We can handle a little bad news in an RPG...

Lunar 3? I want to see the silver star another 1000 years later. It becoming completely inhabitable and the magicians and priests frantically trying to find a way to get everyone to the Blue Star before the world is destroyed. And the second half of the game be when you make it to the Blue Star and search for Lucia in the recently melted ice of its surface... Sort of like Shining Force 2's version of starting over in a new world.

But for a cool twist. When you find her she has completely gone nuts from isolation and has Hiro's Corpse sitting at the table with a mug in his hand and pretending he's alive. And saying something to you as she cleans like "Hiro is always leaving messes behind!" or "What was that honey? Oh, don't be rude, honey! These are my guests." "Forgive him, He's being grumpy today." It might work. :|

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

What a great thread!

How well the stories are constructed. It's very good at setting up what you want to see when you want to see it. The games play to your expectations very well. I love the look of the games as well. Lunar informs my expectations of how Japanese pop art should be to this day. (Such that when I watched Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water the other week, it was like coming home. :mrgreen: )

Another thing - I think Lunar 2 has the ideal RPG soundtrack.

Favorite scene?

For Lunar 1 probably the remake opening. Lunar 2, original Lucia vs. Zophar maybe? Hard to pick amongst so much good stuff.

Favorite character(s)?

I identify with Mia and I think Ronfar is awesome. Naturally, Ghaleon. (Don't we all?)

The shortcomings in terms of budget and creativity seen in the remakes. While all of them have had good points, they've all been dodgy in one respect or another.

A really good Lunar 2 re-remake. Or Lunar 3 if I'm feeling daring. What would it be about, though? I don't think the loose ends from Lunar 2 are significant enough to base a sequel on, so I'm pretty content mostly.

No, wait, Lunar 0! That's what I want to see more of, the Four Heroes.

Reactions? Theories?

Why is Hiro's base sword move called Poe Sword? It's "flying leap sword" or something really straightforward like that Japanese... Where did that name come from?
「まあいいけど。」

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

DevNall wrote:
Aaron wrote: Free DLC
I'm curious, what kind of DLC would you expect?
When SSH came out I was really hoping they would implement a system to put DLC in. I would love for DLC content to be added to expand on other characters. Here is a good example:

Jessica, Mia, Luna all go off on a mini-adventure to find some item. The feeling is tense and the mood dark. After a long hard dungeon you end up fighting a boss and get the item. Upon returning you find out it was an ingredient Fresca wanted to bake a cake.

I think episodic, light hearted content like that would be exceptional DLC for the Lunar games. That way it could fit into cannon without interfering with the main storyline. Perhaps the DLC could only be unlocked after beating the game. It would be a fun addition.

EDIT:

What about alternate costumes? That would be cool.

Klover
Reza Thief

Post by Klover »

Everything, really. But, if I had to choose, I'd say the characters, the music, and the graphics. Practically every character in the Lunar series is lovable and most of them are very unique. Nobou, eat your heart out. Iwadare does by far the best RPG music I've ever heard! So far, all of the Lunar games have been 2D, other than some 3D models in the cutscenes, and they are the best 2D graphics I've seen, especially in Silver Star Harmony.

Favorite scene?

Many of them. Spoilers ahead.

Luna's "Nocturne of the Wind" in SSSC. It was very, very bad in SSH, but in SSSC, it was beautiful.

Luna as the Dark Goddess in SSSC. Oh, my gosh. That song still continues to send chills down my spine. In SSH, however, I cannot help but notice how much she sounds like either Vocaloid Lola or Cher performing some dark chant. But, it always sends chills down my spine.

"We will always be together..." By far my most favorite scene in SSSC, not so much in SSH, is where Alex finally rescues Luna. This scene made me cry a bit, with sadness and happiness. I was actually amazed at how much Alex talked in this scene. And, for me more Alex = more happiness. :lol:

And, last but not least, whenever Alex and Luna "die" whenever the Azure City falls into the water. I especially like the SSSC version, because Nall sounded ever-so-cute and the piano piece that Working Designs added to that scene. And then Jessica, Mia, and Luna hug each other, and I can't possibly be the only one who has noticed that Nash starts to comb his hair at very end of the scene. Lol, Kyle's smile. When Jess and Nall were crying, I started to sniffle a bit with them.

Since it would be extremely long to name ALL of my favorite scenes in Lunar 2, I'll just name my two most favorites.

The dragons destroying the Holy City to reveal the Azure City (Ha ha, Holy City to Azure City) in EBC, for one. Seeing the black and blue dragon in full-body was very cool, and it was nice to see Nall's dragon form again. Same for Ruby. She's so cuuute... and Nall would agree with me! :lol: *Brick'd*

Okay, I confess, I actually found myself crying a bit when Lucia had to leave in EBC. Poor Hiro, he finally found himself a girlfriend, and then she just leaves him... and then I found myself laughing whenever the scene ended and Hiro picked up her pendant. "Lucia's Pendant - I'd rather just have Lucia." :lol:

Favorite character(s)?

Excluding Lunn, I love all of the characters in the "core" Lunar series, but if I had to choose, Nall for both games, Alex for Lunar 1, and Ruby for Lunar 2.

All of the games, save Walking/Magic School, which wasn't even released in North America, have males as the main protagonist, while the so-called "heroine" doesn't even play much part in the story and usually has to be rescued. Of course, Lucia (and when I say Lucia, I mean the ORIGINAL Lucia, not the Dragon Song chick) was a party member until the very end of the main story, but Luna is  kidnapped very early in the game, and then we only see a bit of her afterwards, and we finally see her more when she becomes the Dark Goddess. I've never played Dragon Song, but I'm sure that Lucia Collins is kidnapped early in the game. That is pretty much the only thing that bothers me.

Like I said before, more females as the main protagonist. Also, I'd like to see more protagonists like Hiro, in which their personality is still determined by the player in some ways, but they still have their own personality. As for games, I'd like to see Lunar 2, which, mind you, hasn't had a remake for 12-13 years. I'd like to see "Eternal Blue Harmony/Melody" on the PSvita, PSN (so PSP owners who don't have a Vita could play), and maybe even on WiiWare, and you could play it with a GameCube or Classic controller. A sequel to Dragon Song might be nice, and I'd love a game about Dyne and the other four heroes. But, most of all, a remake of Magic School that would actually make it into the US!

Reactions? Theories?

Cannot really think of any...