Best Book for Complete Editions Artwork?

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Best Book for Complete Editions Artwork?

Post by Arlia »

The I&II (All about Lunar's world) collection is good, but only for the Sega. Does anyone know the best book for concept art and etc for the Complete games?

Danke!

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: Best Book for Complete Editions Artwork?

Post by Alunissage »

There isn't really one for EBC, but for SSS you definitely want the Newtype 100% ... I forget the exact title, but it's linked on the main page somewhere.

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

Heh, I figured you'd know. Thank you, perhaps I'll keep a look-out for the New Type. I see them on ebay often, but I was hoping for a better one because I've heard it's mostly cut-scene images. I've seen an EB guide of sorts that looked like it had a bit of art in it.

Anyway, thanks!

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I'll look through my EB guides and see if there's anything useful.

The SSS artbook does have a lot of stills from the cutscenes, but it has line sketches and the like as well. Stuff I find interesting because of how the character designs changed from TSS.

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

Hee, you're really on top of it. I never really knew why they changed so drastically from TSS to the Saturn and completes. But I do prefer the later styles. Their eyes just look way too huge in The Silver Star. O_O

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Yeah I'm not as much a fan of the NewType book as the Lunar I+II one, since the latter goes a lot more into artwork that never appears in the game (plus the background info and interviews). But for just SSS, I don't know of a better one either. (Strategy guides have some artwork, but none to my knowledge have anything that's not already in the game, and definitely nothing not already in the SSS NewType.) KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

I've seen a few pics of inside the EBC guide that had some images I've never seen (maybe I don't look hard enough? >_>) But I'm not in the position to shell out $70+ for one (saved money goes into the stuffed Nall fund.)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Okay, I've finally looked through my EBC guides. I advise you get the Dragon Magazine one (either Saturn or PSX, though obviously the latter has more game content) -- it doesn't have much, but there are a couple pics you might like, and also photos of the voice actors. Both of them say Dragon Magazine Game Collection on the front in English, so it should be easy to distinguish them from the Dengeki, which don't have any interesting art in them.

Oh. If you see a pic with the strip of paper around the cover, it'll cover up the English words, which are at the bottom of the front cover. >_< For example, on this page:
http://www.lunar-net.com/merchandise/strategyguides.php

the Dragon Magazine Saturn guide is the one with the pink, showing Lucia in her off-shoulder top and snow blowing past. The other two EBC guides on that page, to the left and lower-left, are the two Dengeki ones I am not recommending. The PlayStation Dragon guide isn't pictured; it has the art of Hiro and Lucia both looking at the camera and smiling, Lucia in her red uniform and Hiro with a face nearly as red as Lucia's clothes.

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

Ah. Okay, if I decide on some more artwork or a new book, I'll know what to look for. Thanks so much, Alunissage! =)