Playthrough of Playstation Lunar games?

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Playthrough of Playstation Lunar games?

Post by Sonic# »

I'm gauging what kind of interest people here would have in my recording my thoughts and inviting others to play along while replaying the Playstation Lunar games? I haven't played them in years, and so my memories of Lunar 2 are especially vague, and I'm curious to try them again.

I'm still not sure whether I have the time. I would probably set a schedule of playing for about an hour or so once every few days, to give busy people and me the time to play amid work or other obligations. Also, there's no telling whether my interest in completing the games would hold - I've stopped replays of Lunar 2 before because of its length - but if people here were interested, talking about it, and wanting to play along, I would be more likely to continue.

Finally, if we did replay, and people didn't have the Playstation games, they could of course play any of the remakes, at least of the first Lunar. Basically, I want to see how the game feels to me now that I'm in my late 20s, and also want to enthuse about the game with people who really appreciate it. A labor of love, maybe.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Re: Playthrough of Playstation Lunar games?

Post by Shiva Indis »

I'm interested, but curious about what medium you're considering. Posts here? Let's Play?
「まあいいけど。」

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I've been wanting to replay EBC, so I'm interested in this. How will we be attempting this? If it's let's plays, then I might have to wait for a while as my good computer is broke and I haven't had time to fix it. :c

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I think he's suggesting that several of us replay the game more or less simultaneously, as if it had just been released, so we can share thoughts as we go with things being fresh in our minds. Which I'd be up for; I found some stuff I hadn't noticed the first time when I started replaying SSSC a few years ago, but I only got as far as the Crustacean in Vane before I stopped that playthrough.

And since there's also an iOS version, that might make it even easier to play through simultaneously. :)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Yes, I propose having a twice-weekly thread (or so) where we commit to going a certain stretch (from Burg to the Weird Woods, for example) and talk about it. What we notice, how the playthrough went, all that. If someone wants to do an accompanying Let's Play, that'd be fantastic, but I don't have the setup for that.

It'd be really cool to do different versions too. I'm going to stick with the Playstation one this time around (mainly for lack of iOS).
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

WhiteKnightLeo
Red Dragon Priest

Post by WhiteKnightLeo »

I literally just replayed this about a month ago, still working on the epilogue!

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I um still need to play most of SSH in English. I could probably do that at the same time, though it's different enough graphically, certainly, as well as translationwise.

A schedule of chunks of story would work for me. When I play these games for the not-first time I take insane notes. One thing I've been trying to do is list triggers, so as to be able to do a somewhat bare-bones walkthrough for people who don't want to be spoiled as well as those who are just stuck (remembering the TSS playthrough in which it took me a week to get to Saith because I forgot to try to sell the diamond to both shopkeepers in Burg) so you can see what will advance things and avoid until you're ready if that's your style. I was thinking that with a group playthrough I could post a list of the triggers for that week's chunk for people to check me on, stuff like that. Also, if the chunks are short enough it'd be perhaps possible to play through them on multiple versions to compare.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

^ A list of triggers would be interesting, Alun. I'll probably pay attention more to dialogue and quippy writing, or perhaps the quality of storytelling. (Let's not pretend, I'll likely just ramble. ;) ) And for people who have played the games freshly, this will be an opportunity to talk to these moments in particular - what you liked or didn't like, what was overlooked, what was funny, what was really cool.

Anyway, I'm going for it. I suggest we start on May 1st. I'll make the first post a day before then. Right now, I'll roll with a twice-weekly setup, with new topics every Tuesday and Saturday, and will change that as it makes sense for us. I'm counting about 20 sections in SSSC, so that will make for about ten weeks. I'm already wanting to play.
Sonic#

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Hey, so, I got Lunar SSS for the PC working on this machine... I don't have time to play through, but maybe sometime later I can check on a few things. It's largely based on the SSS MPEG version, though there are a few gameplay differences (movement is quicker and controls take a little getting used to--I'll probably map it to a joypad later), and quality differences (it... ....uses MIDIs for all the music). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Kizyr wrote:Hey, so, I got Lunar SSS for the PC working on this machine... I don't have time to play through, but maybe sometime later I can check on a few things. It's largely based on the SSS MPEG version, though there are a few gameplay differences (movement is quicker and controls take a little getting used to--I'll probably map it to a joypad later), and quality differences (it... ....uses MIDIs for all the music). KF
The sprites and backgrounds are also at a higher resolution. Plus, it's buggy.