The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers

This board is for general discussion of Lunar. Especially things such as Lunar merchandise, general discussions about the story that span more than one game, etc.
Leo
BANNED
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers

Post by Leo »

For a little bit, I thought that was Ruby in the upper right side. :lol:

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Leo wrote:For a little bit, I thought that was Ruby in the upper right side. :lol:
I can't unsee Ruby there now.
Alunissage wrote:It's not that far off. The Japanese names for her spells are similar to the US ones
The Japanese names can be wrong for the same reason.
Who is to say that the original version of a fictional work is without flaws?
Lucia likely doesn't know what napalm or atomic burn (atomic bomb?) are, even though she can use it.
Magicians can use basic things like fire, ice, electricity, even earth, time and space manipulation.
But those are things that humans haven't yet had control of (with bare hands obviously), if they ever will... a magician comes to fill in that fantasy.

Napalm, atomic bombs, homing cannons and others are nuclear weapons that have already been discovered by humans not long ago in real life, and they're not magic. There's similar tech in the Grindery of Lunar, with all those tanks and guns and stuff, and they're also not magic....... unless they're referred to as magic which I can't remember at the moment.

It would be weird that if Napalm had been discovered in the Blue Star, that there would be absolutely no record of advanced tech in there. Sure, there can be discrepancies in the drawings from the beginning of the game, but they got Zophar and the Goddess 100% accurately.................. and probably other stuff, like the events shown in them which are really close to what the Goddess confirms happened. The place Lucia comes from also shows no signs of that kind of technology, just the magically floating crystal she's sealed in, which is never explained, I think. That place looks much more like the drawings too, if you look at the big statues and compare them with the people shown fighting Zophar.

Anyway, what am I trying to get at? I think that the creators used words like Napalm, Homing cannon, Atomic burn, and all these things only to give the player an idea of what level of powerful Lucia is, which really works better than if the game made up words for those spells or had given them other overused mythology words like Ragnarok (in Final Fantasy, Ragnarok can mean anything from a summon, a magic, a sword, or even a boss... *sigh*). It's almost like pop culture references. Just because Britney Spears can be mentioned in an RPG doesn't mean she existed in that world! :lol:

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

I see your point on homing cannon's and atomic stuff, but not napalm. Napalm isn't a lot more complicated than gasoline + orange juice to make it sticky. They did a damn good job at showing how powerful Lucia is. A lot of us leveled up for a while before continuing on to Zophar weakening her.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Leo wrote:Napalm isn't a lot more complicated than gasoline + orange juice to make it sticky
That's true though. I didn't know what exactly napalm was until i had to research it to know what i'm talking about, and during that research, i DID see it possible that Lucia could be doing napalm just like a magician can do fire... or even time manipulation which seems more of an impossible. But no, napalm is still not that simple still if only for the fact that it was only recently discovered (mid 1900s) that's after many thousads of years of evolution. A lot of specific things lead to its discovery, unlike lemon juice or fire, which were probably discovered by the first humans on earth. It just seems so random that this is the same napalm Lucia uses. If Lucia really is using that same napalm and homing cannons, what's stopping her from summoning World War II aircrafts dropping bombs?

I'd believe it more if someone just created that magic spell and named it napalm after something else by coincidence, that is not the same one we know. OR, the creators of the game just used the closest names to something we know from our tech, where for example Lucia's Homing cannons are just magical fireballs (if thats what they look like?) that do the same function and damage as a real life homing cannon would.

Temzin
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Temzin »

jay_are wrote:Anyway, what am I trying to get at? I think that the creators used words like Napalm, Homing cannon, Atomic burn, and all these things only to give the player an idea of what level of powerful Lucia is, which really works better than if the game made up words for those spells or had given them other overused mythology words
This is good. Actually, it may square with the "weapons from Earth" idea anyway. Like, I doubt it was meant to be anything beyond a playful reference to have only Lucia and the Star Dragon using these spells, so probably not trying to underline the Earth=Blue Star thing, but in any event, the effect is what you say: stepping outside of the napalm/gun rarity in the in-game logic of Lunar's technology, both have a sense of otherworldly impact for these otherworldly characters that lends them this mystique, as you said.

I do enjoy the other ideas about historical representations of the Blue Star by the people of Lunar not necessarily reflecting reality as it was at the time, though.
aka Maou

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Temzin wrote:I do enjoy the other ideas about historical representations of the Blue Star by the people of Lunar not necessarily reflecting reality as it was at the time, though.
That does make the story much more original. Think of it as an unexploited strength. Something that should be worked on if there was ever a full strong remake.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

jay_are wrote:
Temzin wrote:I do enjoy the other ideas about historical representations of the Blue Star by the people of Lunar not necessarily reflecting reality as it was at the time, though.
That does make the story much more original. Think of it as an unexploited strength. Something that should be worked on if there was ever a full strong remake.
I think historical stuff on the Blue Star is handled pretty well. EB is the only game I can think of that shows hieroglyphics and stuff to tell the origin story. It flew over my head the first time but was awe-inspiring to pay attention to later on and piece the meaning together.